Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel Alignment Problem

Options
  • 07-10-2007 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Just got me wheels aligned as it failed the NCT on this.:mad:

Left it in went back later to find out he couldn't align the back wheels as he said the adjusters on the axle had siezed up or somethin like that. I asked about it it and he hadn't a clue really.

Anyone got any ideas what this means, Or how long and how much i can expect to pay to fix this problem, If it can be fixed at all.

Cheers for any info...:D

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The steering tie rods are adjusted to change the tracking. Yours have siezed and need to be un-siezed or replaced in order to tet the alignment sorted.
    Its not something I would leave either as your tyres will prematurely wear if you don't resolve it costing even more money in the end!
    As we don't know the make/model/age of your car and whether they need to be un-siezed (preferable and most likely outcome) or replaced) Im going to make a wild guess and say €247.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kbannon, steering is at the front!
    couldn't align the back wheels as he said the adjusters on the axle had siezed up or somethin like that

so it sounds like the brake adjusters on the back wheels, your car has drum rather than disk brakes then? Or maybe your car has "integrated" handbrake drums.

If they are seized you'll need to free them or replace them.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 [NOG]ph0rce

kbannon wrote:
    The steering tie rods are adjusted to change the tracking. Yours have siezed and need to be un-siezed or replaced in order to tet the alignment sorted.
    Its not something I would leave either as your tyres will prematurely wear if you don't resolve it costing even more money in the end!
    As we don't know the make/model/age of your car and whether they need to be un-siezed (preferable and most likely outcome) or replaced) Im going to make a wild guess and say €247.

Mitsubishi Colt

Hunk O Junk.

Maybe i'll just buy me a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any mechanic can do this for you and i got the rear adjusters on my old bimmer freed for like €40. This is an everyday problem and is usually fixed quickly and cheaply, OP.

You probably wouldn't even have to make a booking with your mechanic for him to do this unless new parts are needed.

Advertisement