Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest some cars for a tall guy

Options
  • 07-10-2007 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a second hand car with a max budget of e16,000. I'm 6'6, currently drive an astra, lately the lack of headroom has caused some slight neck and back pain. Basically I have no idea what I want so I am open to suggestions. Preferably something with no more than 50,000 miles, 1.6 - 2.0 and diesel would be nice but it's not essential.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any convertable?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any mini MPV will do. I don't think if you go a size up in a conventional saloon you'd gain enough headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm 6'5". I had a Civic Coupe and an Accord Coupe, both of which were good (mainly because they had larger doors than the saloon models for easier access).

I now have a '98 BMW 520, which is very spacious. I test drove a couple of 3 series, but found them a bit cramped. I tried to test drice a Z3 M-Coupe, but I couldn't get my knees below the steering wheel!!!

Let us know how you get on.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Any mini MPV will do. I don't think if you go a size up in a conventional saloon you'd gain enough headroom.

MPVs often have the seat closer to the steering wheel in order to make space for the back seats. Also, the seats are higher. This all means that your knees end up smacking the dashboard, and your head isn't always that far away from the roof.

Saloons aren't all that bad for headroom in the front, especially if you go for one with climate control instead of a sunroof!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=203849

Very tall-guy friendly car with low depreciation.

Accord's a very good bet

• Advertisement

I'm 6'2 and don't find the headroom in the Passat that much better than what you get in an Astra

Lower the seat- I'm 6'4 and I have tons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The older VW Passat has loads of room once it doesn't have a sunroof and the Skoda Octavia is just massive in the front and back in terms of head space and leg space.
    Any mid/large car with a sunroof doesn't have enough head room for a 6'5" me. Sat in a two of the same cars, one with a sunroof and one without - amazed how much head room that was lost.

I'll have to disagree about the Skoda's rear legroom being anything but tight, like th Bora, Toledo, and Leon, it's tight on rear legroom while having a huge boot, this is down to the short wheelbase and long overhangs.

Agreed on the sunroof thing, I wallop my head on some cars with sunroofs, particulatly the old shape Avensis

is anyone here short?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't trust anyone else to "Suggest some cars for a tall guy" !

cantdecide wrote:
    is anyone here short?

Watch the answers and decide for yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As mentioned above avoid anything with a sunroof. They use up internal headroom, about 2-3 inches. I have a '02 5 series & I'm 6'3 loads of head room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm 6'3" & drive a focus with a sunroof & have loads of extra headroom + theres still plenty of room in the back for an adult to sit behind me...

Not all cars have badly designed headspace reducing sunroofs.

I had no problems in the Hondas, and they both had sunroofs (the civic one open up and out of the car). Depends on how high/low you want to leave the drivers seat. If you don't like sitting with the seat dropped as low as it'll go(and needing a crane to get out of the car), then avoid the sunroof. If you don't like being high, then no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not that tall myself, but I'd say that there are two things to bear in mind. One is that a big car doesn't necessarily imply lots of headroom. I knew a guy in Holland who was 2.10 m and he drove a Mazda 121! The second is that it has a lot to do with the proportions of length of your torso to that of your legs. You can find two people of identical height, who have quite different experiences of sitting in exactly the same car, just because one has (relatively) short legs for his height, for example.

In short, you just have to try out the cars in the flesh yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

im 6'2 , the best car has to be an bmw 5 serise ( any year ) or a saab 9000 both doctors cars and both rather cheap with high spec....

if you need something even cheaper , an accord is a good but... maybe a volvo ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Fey! wrote:
    I'm 6'5". I had a Civic Coupe and an Accord Coupe, both of which were good (mainly because they had larger doors than the saloon models for easier access).

Just on a similar point, the other reson Coupes (and indeed convertables) are good for taller people is that the position of the 'B' pillar is moved back. On my current bog standard saloon, i find theat with the seat fully back (and it always is) a left turn with an angled entrance (ie with the car about 45 degress to the road) the B piller gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Alright nephew, I'm glad there are other freaks out there :)
    I'm the same height as you, and have driven all of these with no problem...
    00 focus saloon, 02 focus hatchback, 06 civic saloon (I've also been in a couple of mondeos, not too bad either)

I also drive my wifes, 06 seat ibiza but couldn't do more than a 1 hr drive or I'd be in bits, my dad's 00 passat is the same, I can't find a comfortable driving position. And I've been in my cousins 07 Audi TT, well when I say been in it, I had one leg in, nearly pulled my groin trying to get the other in so gave up :D

Advertisement