Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all painters

Options
  • 07-10-2007 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I want to paint a solid wood door with an oil based paint.
    Its present surface is something like Sadolin. I have lightly sanded down and washed the surface.
    Do I need to do any more preperation work.
    What is the best type of paint to use (exterior )
    How many coats should be used (undercoat/final coat).

Tks n adv for info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Just a reminder..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Two choices here.
    Sand all the stain off or back as much as possible, then apply some aluminium wood primer. Sand again then undercoat twice with the apropriate base colour, sanding lightly and dusting in between, then apply a thinned coat of full gloss. In most cases except for certain colours, one coat of gloss is enough, although two can't hurt.
    Or you can do it the lazy way, medium sanding, B_I_N primer, two coats (20 min dry time), light sanding one u/c and one gloss in the chosen system colour. B_I_N is expensive but pays for itself.

Don't just put undercoat onto the hardwood...the oil in the wood (and the stain to a lesser extent) leads to failure in the undercoat sooner than it should...the aluminium primer stops the oil from affecting the undercoat. The only problem is if your finish is a light colour, it takes an extra coat of u/c to hide the silver/grey tone of the primer..
    B_I_N does the same thing but since it's white, it also acts as an undercoat, and it's high level of adhesion means it won't chip or flake.

As for exterior? The only thing you need to look for that property on is eggshell/satin if that's your chosen finish. It can be hard to find exterior finishes that aren't gloss, and interior eggshell will fail if left in the Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Unless your confident in painting, BIN primer can be tricky to apply....Make sure its stirred well and cover everything as it does dry very fast. Otherwise go with the Aluminium primer first.

Gloss finish will last longer...Also if you have the rubbers that are on most new doors,take them out before you start painting and don't put them back for at least for a day or so because when you close door these will leave a mark on your new finish.

Yeah BIN is awkward stuff, you can end up with an uneven layer or too thick a coat if you're not quick with the brush. A little meths and a rag should keep things okay, try to avoid build up in the mouldings on the panels but at the same time try not to brush the coat out too much. A smaller brush is best (don't be tempted to roll it) and you should try keeping the brush well loaded at all times otherwise the drying shellac will leave flecks and drags in the film.
    Alum primer is easier to use but it takes an age to dry and leads to additional work (unless your finish is grey/black/navy)
    Good advice on the rubbers...just don't loose them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Thanks for all the advice.

In relation to the rubber seals , how do I take them off. They appear to be glued on .

Tks

• Advertisement

You sure they're not just pushed into a small rebate in the door's edges?
    If they're glued then it's kind of f*cked....you'll have to gloss the door as early in the day as possible (preferably a dry day) and leave it open for as long as you can. Oil finishes take 16-24 hrs to harden to the point where the weatherseal won't stay stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi,just to add to the good advice of madm and wertz,

buy some terebene,also know as paint dryers.you add to paint to speed up the drying process.it comes in a small bottle and is purple.u can get in any good paint shop.

add by the capfull to the paint and read the label to find out the right amount.
    dont put too much in as it will cause the finish to crack.

hope this helps.

Advertisement