Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion - Advice..

Options
  • 07-10-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of getting the attic converted. There is 500 sq.ft. of living space up there. Anyway, we are new to all of this so some advice would be greatly appreciated:

What is the order of doing things?

House is a detached bungalow with a high pitch roof.

1. Do we first get an engineer in to do up some drawings?

2. We might add a window at the front and back of the house so I undrstand we will need planning permission. Does the engineer's report go towards the planning application?

3. When the engineer does his work do we then use such drawings to show builders when shopping around for quotes?

Finally can anyone recommend a en engineer or builder for such work in the Cork area?? :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will need someone to prepare plans and submit an application for permission. If you are getting an engineer his report wont have to be submitted with the planning application - just the plans, maps etc.

Depending on what type of plan you get (some plans are issued for planning purposes only with separate working drawings issued to the client and/or builders) you can then set about getting quotations.

Finally, as has been well documented here in the past, PM the OP with any recommendations of names

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

muffler wrote:
    ... Finally, as has been well documented here in the past, PM the OP with any recommendations of names

Thanks Muffler, if anyone has any recommendations please PM me.

Nobody with any advice??? <slowing losing faith in boards :( >

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I got a feedback thread recently for saying this :D but here goes.

Golden Pages.

smashey wrote:
    I got a feedback thread recently for saying this :D but here goes.

Golden Pages.

I don't need a list of people, I would like some recommendations and advice. The Golden Pages isn't very good at that unfortunately..but something like an internet forum where people could come and post their questions and experiences would be good idea..now if only I could find one of those :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't need a list of people, I would like some recommendations and advice. The Golden Pages isn't very good at that unfortunately..but something like an internet forum where people could come and post their questions and experiences would be good idea..now if only I could find one of those :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah? Well you asked the question and nobody answered apart from muffler.
    muffler wrote:
    You will need someone to prepare plans and submit an application for permission. If you are getting an engineer his report wont have to be submitted with the planning application - just the plans, maps etc.

Depending on what type of plan you get (some plans are issued for planning purposes only with separate working drawings issued to the client and/or builders) you can then set about getting quotations.

Finally, as has been well documented here in the past, PM the OP with any recommendations of names
    We are thinking of getting the attic converted. There is 500 sq.ft. of living space up there. Anyway, we are new to all of this so some advice would be greatly appreciated:

What is the order of doing things?

House is a detached bungalow with a high pitch roof.

1. Do we first get an engineer in to do up some drawings? Yes but give him a sketch of what you want first.

2. We might add a window at the front and back of the house so I understand we will need planning permission. Does the engineer's report go towards the planning application? Yes

3. When the engineer does his work do we then use such drawings to show builders when shopping around for quotes? Yes

Finally can anyone recommend a en engineer or builder for such work in the Cork area?? As nobody has recommended any, find one in the Golden Pages. They are members of their respective engineering bodies and will have Proffesional Indemnity.
    Thanks in advance.

just thought someone could recommend a guy for the job, word of mouth can be more effective than just going with someone from the golden pages...and professional indemnity or not it can sometimes help to know if a lad is dragging his heels on the job, taking ages and being sloppy etc..

anyway, thanks for the info smashey.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nobody with any advice??? <slowing losing faith in boards :( >
    I can understand your disappointment at the lack of responses but i think in any event myself and smashey* (even though he is slightly wrong about having to use the engineers report with the application ;) ) have given you a wee bit of help. We dont have a huge user database here and the forum is more often than not used for discussing the technical issues associated with building/construction rather the physical end of things.

If you wish I can move this to the DIY forum and you may get more responses there.

*smashey for king of the golden pages

muffler wrote:
    I can understand your disappointment at the lack of responses but i think in any event myself and smashey* (even though he is slightly wrong about having to use the engineers report with the application ;) ) have given you a wee bit of help. We dont have a huge user database here and the forum is more often than not used for discussing the technical issues associated with building/construction rather the physical end of things.

If you wish I can move this to the DIY forum and you may get more responses there.

fair enough, I understand.
    Yeah sure if you feel it might do better in the DIY forum then feel free to move it. I didn't put it there in the first place because it's not really DIY..me and DIY do not go hand in hand :(

But yes, with your advice I have enough to get started so thanks for that.

muffler wrote:
    I can understand your disappointment at the lack of responses but i think in any event myself and smashey* (even though he is slightly wrong about having to use the engineers report with the application ;) )
    Damned cut and paste. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I had mine done recently. I was given a guys name as a recommendation. He came and measured and listened to what I wanted. I went up to see one of his completed jobs and was very impressed. He was cheaper than a lot of others. There was no plans as such except a list of what i wanted, where. Planning permission was not required as it was internal and the velux windows were rear facing. I am very happy with it.

PM me for his number if you wish.

I had mine done recently. I was given a guys name as a recommendation. He came and measured and listened to what I wanted. I went up to see one of his completed jobs and was very impressed. He was cheaper than a lot of others. There was no plans as such except a list of what i wanted, where. Planning permission was not required as it was internal and the velux windows were rear facing. I am very happy with it.

PM me for his number if you wish.

PM sent.

Advertisement