Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Ultimate Home Network issue

• 07-10-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hello,

Ok here's my setup:
    Home PC running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, wired to 3Com wireless router via network card and RJ-45 cable, laptop running XP Home Edition connected via wireless.

The network card on my home PC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

The issue is: quite often I will lose the connection to the internet and this will affect me if I'm either on the PC or on my laptop and connected to the router wirelessly.

When I don't have the home PC running and I just have the router on and I'm connected wirelessly I don't experiencing these issues.

Sometimes Vista will reset the connection and I will be back online; other times I will have to switch the router off then back on again!
    Its very frustrating!

Any thoughts or are there others here experiencing these issues and have successfully fixed this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭irishgeo

try installing all the updates in the link below.

They dont appear on widows updates.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t591754.html

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

irishgeo wrote:
    try installing all the updates in the link below.

They dont appear on widows updates.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t591754.html

Thank you for that. This looks like what I need. I'll give this a go when I'm back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Upgrade to Windows XP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

tech wrote:

Again, it is Downgrade. And not a helpful answer as that is not what the OP was asking for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tech wrote:
    naughty :p

seriously unless they have a copy of Vista Business the license won't allow it.
    so tips on how to turn off the eye-candy would be more appropiate

[/off topic]

you could use ping to try to keep the network connection live

find the Ip of your AP - under network properties it will be listed as the gateway
    [php]start
    run
    cmd
    ping 192.168.0.1 -t [/php]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would it be something to do with dhcp

might be worth setting static ip addresses in the network settings of the pc's

or checking the configuration of the network card in the vista machine to see if there are any settings you can change

or maybe checking for a firmware update for the router, since this is the thing thats crashing

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

The only things I have tried so far are:

1. Installed all the updates
    2. Switched off Vista's firewall

I installed the updates before trying the second step but that didn't solve my issue.

Switching off Vista's firewall has solved my issue. I have a built-in firewall on the router.

Should I be concerned about disabling Vista's firewall?

Advertisement