Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Problems!! PSU at fault???

Options
  • 07-10-2007 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I got all my bits and bobs on Thursday and I assembled everything. However, when I switched the power on there was a high pitch continuous beep from the computer. I immediately powered it down. I realised that I didn't attach the graphics card to the psu. A cable came with the graphics card and the manual advised strongly that I attached it to the PSU.

This seemed to work as there was no high pitch continuous beep. However, things didn't sound quite right and after a few secs the power cut out and the started up again by itself. I thought at this stage all was ok but after about 30secs it powered down itself again.

I can only assume it is something to do with my PSU. I am using a decent one that I took out of my current setup! It is the Antec TruePower 550watt.

Could it be the psu or do you think perhaps it has something to do with the motherboard or how I have the cables setup?

I am using an Abit IP35-E motherboard and an 8800gts graphics card.

I would really appreciate your help as I am DYING to get this baby up and running!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Clear cmos & try again. Try it 1st with no gpu 2 see do u get warning beep, then with gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Clear cmos & try again. Try it 1st with no gpu 2 see do u get warning beep, then with gpu.

I tried that. Isn't that were you change the jumper to 3 and 4 from 1 and 2??

py2006 wrote:
    I tried that. Isn't that were you change the jumper to 3 and 4 from 1 and 2??

Move the jumper from 1&2 to 2&3 and remove the battery @ same time with psu powered off.

Try this, then remove gpu & see do ya get long warning beep

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Move the jumper from 1&2 to 2&3 and remove the battery @ same time with psu powered off.

Try this, then remove gpu & see do ya get long warning beep

Do I replace the jumper and battery again before powering up again?

Yes, & leave the gpu out for the 1st boot, if ya get long beep (telling you that no gpu is installed), power down & put back in gpu. Then boot again 2 see if it posts (power on self tests).

Make sure case speaker is attached to mobo

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Yes, & leave the gpu out for the 1st boot, if ya get long beep (telling you that no gpu is installed), power down & put back in gpu. Then boot again 2 see if it posts (power on self tests).

Make sure case speaker is attached to mobo

How can I check if case speaker is attached? If I heard that initial noise does that mean that the case speaker is working?

Thanks for your help. I am in a friends house as I don't have net at home until I get the pc setup so as soon as I get home I will try all your suggestions.

If you heard the initial beep then your case speaker is attached, it should be with the case power switch, reset switch & hd led, coming from the case to the mobo.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    If you heard the initial beep then your case speaker is attached, it should be with the case power switch, reset switch & hd led, coming from the case to the mobo.

Yea I think I have them all in place! I was a bit confused about where the hd led went.

Is the mobo battery easy to remove and install?

Advertisement