Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance Q

Options
  • 07-10-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to put this but :
    my cousin from Australia will be coming over here for the next summer form June-September
    he will be just gone 18 in April ....and he has passed his driving test over in Australia about 5 months ago...so he is on "P" (probation) plates for a year
    will he be able to drive when he is here?
    my mother said he can use her Punto but he will need in insurance so how do you go about getting insurance for only 3 months?
    any info will help
    thanks
    Cian :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Best bet would be to ring your insurance company.
    He may be able to drive on her policy as a named driver but I suspect its gonna cost. They can probably do a 3 month period (or a monthly installment plan). All depends on her policy, open driver or named drivers only. His young age will likely be the most expensive factor. Australia is among the countries that can exchange for an Irish licence so Aussie licence shouldnt really be a worry to the insurance company but then again you never know till you talk to them. Some companies only insure if you have licence more than 3 yrs or certain amount of no-claims.
    If they do the will likely need copies of his licence. Give them a ring.

If he has his own fully comprehensive insurance in Australia, he may be able to extend it to cover him Third Party here on other cars but I'd say that is more of a long shot. I know EU countries can but Australia is a little far for them to deal with if he did have a bump. Get him to enquire.

Full driving licence at 17, it's to be commended. I wish more people would do that here rather than wait till their umpties to bother. There is so little incentive.:(
    In the UK you are old if you havent your full licence before 19. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ciano14

wil wrote: »
    Best bet would be to ring your insurance company.
    He may be able to drive on her policy as a named driver but I suspect its gonna cost. They can probably do a 3 month period (or a monthly installment plan). All depends on her policy, open driver or named drivers only. His young age will likely be the most expensive factor. Australia is among the countries that can exchange for an Irish licence so Aussie licence shouldnt really be a worry to the insurance company but then again you never know till you talk to them. Some companies only insure if you have licence more than 3 yrs or certain amount of no-claims.
    If they do the will likely need copies of his licence. Give them a ring.

If he has his own fully comprehensive insurance in Australia, he may be able to extend it to cover him Third Party here on other cars but I'd say that is more of a long shot. I know EU countries can but Australia is a little far for them to deal with if he did have a bump. Get him to enquire.

Full driving licence at 17, it's to be commended. I wish more people would do that here rather than wait till their umpties to bother. There is so little incentive.:(
    In the UK you are old if you havent your full licence before 19. :cool:

thanks for the info :D
    he is an Irish citizen aswell so im sure that will make it easier
    ill look into it and get him to enquire
    thanks again
    Cian

Advertisement