Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Shooting.

Options
  • 07-10-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I've been thinking about getting into shooting (obviously). But I can't get my head around the legislation, it seems a bit all over the place. Can anyone explain it clearly for me?

I was thinking of a Remington bolt action rifle for both hunting and plinking, not sure of calibre, but I'm also open to shot gunning if it is easier to get a hold of them from the local super.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What leislation? About obtaining a licence or when shooting/using your gun?

The application is easy, go buy a gun, Im a shotgun man or else a .22 rifle. The dealer will give you a reciept. Get permission from two landowners (or just one with substantial land) in writing. Then take your receipt, the letters and a cheque for the appropriate fee and go see your local Guard that deals with the firearms (ring first and make an appointment). You give him the documents, fill in the application and wait. It should take 3-4 weeks for yyour character to be checked and your licence will arrive. Collect your gun an Robert is your mothers brother!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

alan123 wrote:
    What leislation? About obtaining a licence or when shooting/using your gun?

The application is easy, go buy a gun, Im a shotgun man or else a .22 rifle. The dealer will give you a reciept. Get permission from two landowners (or just one with substantial land) in writing. Then take your receipt, the letters and a cheque for the appropriate fee and go see your local Guard that deals with the firearms (ring first and make an appointment). You give him the documents, fill in the application and wait. It should take 3-4 weeks for yyour character to be checked and your licence will arrive. Collect your gun an Robert is your mothers brother!!!

Oh what a lovely picture you paint, this is the way it's supposed to be. But sometimes it's not that easy. Depends on your local guard and super's attitude to firarms

Well if you want a gun like Bunny and the boys (could probably kill a cow six fields away!!) it may take longer!!

alan123 wrote:
    Well if you want a gun like Bunny and the boys (could probably kill a cow six fields away!!) it may take longer!!

A cow ? Wabbits and woxes ;)

could kill a cow! Ive seen the pictures, some of those rifles were probably designed to be vehicle mounted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Oh what a lovely picture you paint, this is the way it's supposed to be. But sometimes it's not that easy. Depends on your local guard and super's attitude to firarms
    Yep 3 months ago I applied for a .22 licence, the local Garda said no probs as I had a shot gun already, she lost the application or more likely ate it judging by the size of her ass:mad:

Mmmmm, Im getting a vision.... Im seeing an angry Macnab entering a Garda Station and demanding a 22 licence while looking the banguard behind he counter up and down in disgust, Macnab quotes his entitlements under the Firearms Acts and leaves. Now Im seeing a banguard putting a firearms application in the shredder and saying "Ill just file that away for you now Mr Macnab".

Its nice to be nice Macnab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

alan123 wrote:
    Mmmmm, Im getting a vision.... Im seeing an angry Macnab entering a Garda Station and demanding a 22 licence while looking the banguard behind he counter up and down in disgust, Macnab quotes his entitlements under the Firearms Acts and leaves. Now Im seeing a banguard putting a firearms application in the shredder and saying "Ill just file that away for you now Mr Macnab".

I bet that does happen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Posideon

Thanks guys all the comments appreciated. There is a local gun club, Barna Gun Club, and my local super registers almost all the clubs guns so he can't be too anti-gun or so I've heard.

I was thinking of shooting rabbits and foxes and hares, when in season obviously. But would it be best to get a rifle first or a shotgun or does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They're two different skillsets really Posideon. Pick the one that suits what you want to do. If it's rabbits and foxes (aren't hares a protected species without a hunting season, or did I misunderstand that?), a .22lr or something similar would probably be the place to start. (Not for foxes, from what I've read here, but a .22lr would let you learn to shoot fairly cheaply and you could move up from there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

alan123 wrote:
    Now Im seeing a banguard putting a firearms application in the shredder and saying "Ill just file that away for you now Mr Macnab".

Speaking of Shredders it does happen!!! I got a letter last week from my FO
    saying he accidentally shredded an ammo increase request letter I had sent him.
    But he was good enough to let me know all the same.
    (Still waiting since 3rd Augest to go from a 100 to 500 ammo limit)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Thats correct, no shooting hares allowed......

smallfry

bullets wrote:
    Speaking of Shredders it does happen!!! I got a letter last week from my FO
    saying he accidentally shredded an ammo increase request letter I had sent him.
    But he was good enough to let me know all the same.
    (Still waiting since 3rd Augest to go from a 100 to 500 ammo limit)

~B
    I thought an ammo increase was just a stroke of a pen? A line thru the 100 and write in 500?

smallfry wrote:
    Thats correct, no shooting hares allowed......

smallfry
    Is there not an exemption to shoot hares at certain times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hares have an open season for sure... whether it's for shooting or coursing I'm not sure, I believe it extends until the end of February.

Right I think I'll go with the shotgun, seems the local club does mostly wing shooting. equipment wise I was thinking of a Remington 870 wingmaster in 20 gauge or maybye an over and under, but I really like the look of the Remington.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

any paticular reason for a 20 gauge over a 12 gauge?

From what I've gathered there isn't a really huge difference in the field, except the slightly shorter range and different grouping of the 20. But I'll try to offset that by getting the 28" inch barrel rather then the 26" and using the Remington wildfowl cartridges.

But the main reason is less weight and recoil tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bond-007 wrote:
    I thought an ammo increase was just a stroke of a pen? A line thru the 100 and write in 500?

You have to request it; in writing. A stroke of the pen doesn't do anything on pulse :D

If so, how are lads changing guns by a stroke of a pen?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    If so, how are lads changing guns by a stroke of a pen?

That can be done, the same as ammo changes. My point is that for the change to stick, it has to go through on the pulse system.

How many of them got renewals the following year with the original firearm?

You still must apply for the ammo increase in writing.

hairs are considered game, same as peasants, they have a season and you can only use a shotgun...............and yes the spellings are on purpose:D :D

Posideon wrote:
    From what I've gathered there isn't a really huge difference in the field, except the slightly shorter range and different grouping of the 20. But I'll try to offset that by getting the 28" inch barrel rather then the 26" and using the Remington wildfowl cartridges.

But the main reason is less weight and recoil tbh.

The 12 is more verstile and ammo etc more readily available, the recoil wont bother you unless you are small?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

rrpc wrote:
    That can be done, the same as ammo changes. My point is that for the change to stick, it has to go through on the pulse system.

How many of them got renewals the following year with the original firearm?

You still must apply for the ammo increase in writing.

Always at least one every year and the ammo always has to be "adjusted" each august:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

if you are worried about the recoil on a 12 guage, you could get one with a ported barrel, i have a mossberg 500 with a ported barrel and there's barely any kick

Always at least one every year and the ammo always has to be "adjusted" each august:confused:

Indeed :D Which is why you request in writing, so that you have something to go back to in such an eventuality.

Probably the best way to do this permanently, is to ring the park and ask them has it been changed. If not, send them a copy of your amended cert (or the original) to have the amendment put in permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

id suggest getting a marlin .22 or .22-mag to start off, start off shooting rabits until you get usta hunting like allways making sure you have back drop,knowing your sroundings all of that. I have been hunting since i was 7 and i only recently switched from a .22-mag to a .220 swift. Ive been shooting for years with my borhters .17 rem cf but he stoped hunting when his gf had a baby and sold his gun so ive got myself a rem 700 series .220 swift and i love it, ive gotten 1/8'' groupings at 150yards when aligning it. When i bring it out if im shooting all right i allmost allwasy hit home. But defo get a .22 to start off its great craic, bring it out on a hot sunday to a remote area and bring a friend and shoot a few rabbits. Its a good laugh. I still use my .22-mag to shoot a few rabbits now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

it should not be down to which is easier to "get", if you know what i mean... if you want a rifle and you like shooting rabbits and a few targets and plinking etc... then a shotgun isnt much use (apart from the rabbits) then again a rifle isn't much good at clay shooting... different diciplines...
    if you are new to the whole concept of shooting in ireland, i know it can be very intimidating at the start and its hard to get advice,
    in other words... don't buy a shotgun just so you can get a rifle, if thats what you really want
    it's been said before in other posts but talk to the siochanas before you buy anything.... you might be suprised how helpful they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

gardai aint to bad, my brothers have been shooting years and ive been shotting shotguns since i was 7 but my first gun was a rifle, so dont worry about it as long as you apply for it and you get the lan permissions you should get it

• Advertisement

freekhead wrote: »
    ive been shotting shotguns since i was 7

Oh, you bold boy, you have to be 16 to use/own a firearm :p

Advertisement