Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vodafone 7.2 mbps usb modem

Options
  • 07-10-2007 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Has anybody gotten it yet the one that will support HSUPA.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This modem is the 7.2mbit + 2mbit uplink Huawei E270

I strongly advise any boardsie thinking of Vodafone 3g not to get the package until they supply this modem as STANDARD because you will not get a subsidised version if you have the older 3.6mbit capable e220 . It will cost €400 to buy one .

Vodafone are known to get rid of all their own stocks by hook or by crook :)

This is the modem they will shortly introduce in Ireland as standard and will be future proof for the next years worth of upgrades on Vodafone. Do NOT buy an E220 unless you are guaranteed a free E270 by the shop and in writing , leave it to the mugs.

http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.uk/3GUsbModem.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Have Vodafone Ireland mentioned this new HSUPA offering at all yet?

Waiting patiently ;)

Hopefully they'll have a method of upgrading for existing 3G customers which doesn't cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

I did just that,returned the E220 modem to Voda IE under the two week return policy as soon as I discovered that the E270 was out in Voda UK. Now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing how long Voda IE takes to get their fingers out. I wonder will it be proportional in price to Voda UK?

I tried to get the mobile broadband 7.2 HSUPA mini-expresscard for my laptop which is configured to take it, but the manufacturers insist on only selling it through the like of Dell who only sell the equivalent of the E220 in mini-exprescard. T'would have been far neater with no wires t'all, t'all.

If anyone wants to go looking the mini-expresscards are made by Sierra Wireless (MC8780) and Novatel Wireless (Expedite EU870D).

If you have a Dell laptop you would need to have made sure that it has the built-in mobile broadband aerial in the screen when getting it built. In my case it was necessary to include the built-in screen border webcam to ensure this. There are instructions on Dell's website showing how to fit these cards and get them working.

I believe all these mobile broadband chips used in all these modems are made by Qualcomm. Huawei and the others merely use the chips. Qualcomm are the real creators. Huawei are like the Dell of USB broadband modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Huawei do make them. (or someone else in Asia for them)

Qualcomm prefer to make money by licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Will some explain to me how Vodafone will deliver 7.2mbps speeds to potentially thousands of people on a single cell when dsl providers are barely able to deal with contention with individual wired connections.

Surely the 3 debacle should be a lesson in the frustrations of delivering mobile data to the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

I must have a read on google at some stage tomorrow about how the technology works it would be interest to see if this sort of throughput is availabe outside a lab environment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

?How do the operators get away with advertising current 3.6mbps when absolutely no-one can actually get those speeds?

?How do the operators get away with advertising current 3.6mbps when absolutely no-one can actually get those speeds?

Had we a regulator in this country ???? Read here to discover the awful truth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Will some explain to me how Vodafone will deliver 7.2mbps speeds to potentially thousands of people on a single cell when dsl providers are barely able to deal with contention with individual wired connections.

Surely the 3 debacle should be a lesson in the frustrations of delivering mobile data to the masses.

Max 48 users actually on a cell's sector @ 7.2Mbps, 24 users @ 3.6MBps.

Those speeds can only be achieved by a sector with ONE user near the mast. otherwise you get a fraction. Upgrading 1.8Mbps --> 7.2Mbps is more about being able to support 48 users connected simultanously rather than 12 users!
    Some of the time you will get higher speed than before.

Because it is based on CDMA air interface, if 20 users are on simultaneously they will get LESS than 1/20th of the max speed and the cell/sector range will contract (3G breathing effect). I don't believe EDGE (the 230k 02 system on GSM as upgrade to GPRS) breaths, but I don't know how well it copes the loading on the host GSM sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glass Of Tea

Just a question for you all, I just bought this modem but I may not be keeping it but I do want to try it out, will Vodafone let me return the modem even if I've used it?

• Advertisement

was it in a shop or online ??? where was the shop ??

what was the price ???

You 100% sure its the E270 not the E220 ???

You have a 14 day trial period DURING which Voda will take it back and refund you in full if the service is not to your satisfaction. Keep all the packaging .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I still have the E620 data card, so only connecting at 1.8Mb when the voda network is now all at 3.6Mb? I do have a e630 which will do 3.6 but its locked to Three!

The e660 can do 7.2Mb but I cant find it anywhere.................I have to get a HUAWEI card as I need to use a external antenna to get signal, cant do that with the modem..........

One more thing, I am one of the few people who have the UNLIMITED contract with Vodafone.......If I try to upgrade equipment will they shove me on to the 5Gb cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glass Of Tea

Sponge Bob wrote: »

what was the price ???

You 100% sure its the E270 not the E220 ???

You have a 14 day trial period DURING which Voda will take it back and refund you in full if the service is not to your satisfaction. Keep all the packaging .

The modem was free and the sales lady said that I can indeed take it back after 14 days, so I assume she meant that I can actually put the sim card in and TRY the net connection, I don't think they expect us just to look at the pretty modem no? And yes it's the E270 and it was bought in an actual shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Can you just upgrade to the new one or do you have to pay for it?

conjamuk wrote: »
    Can you just upgrade to the new one or do you have to pay for it?

Nope , terminate contract and start another one to get the best price, otherwise you will probably pay €300 for it .

Voda have announced a product in the past and then sold cards that they knew would not work with this product so read about how they Missold their customers incompatible cards.

This time they will dump the E220 cards onto unsuspecting punters and launch the E270 modem before they announce their 7.2mbit and HSUPA services....quite soon I should think.

As there has been no formal announcement there is nothing wrong with dumping the old stock but there is quite a difference between the E220 modem and the E270 which will completely replace it by christmas in the shops .

You have been warned, don't buy a pup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

watty wrote: »
    Huawei do make them. (or someone else in Asia for them)

Qualcomm prefer to make money by licences.

That's what I meant. Qualcomm design them and licence the technology. Everyone else is merely making them according to the Qualcomm designs, but it's not like there are any major differences between similar spec. models of modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Sponge Bob asked Glass of Tea
    what was the price ???

Glass of Tea, I presume you meant you bought it from a Vodafone shop (irish) and can you give us an update on how you got on with it? Did you return it? etc

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

I still have the E620 data card, so only connecting at 1.8Mb when the voda network is now all at 3.6Mb?

The e660 can do 7.2Mb but I cant find it anywhere.................I have to get a HUAWEI card as I need to use a external antenna to get signal, cant do that with the modem..........

One more thing, I am one of the few people who have the UNLIMITED contract with Vodafone.......If I try to upgrade equipment will they shove me on to the 5Gb cap?

I'm in exactly the same position as you - E620 card with external antenna and an early adopter. Now Vody have brought out the newer faster cards (when did they come out?), I'm looking for an upgrade - I notice they're still charging me full rate, the blanks.

Advertisement