Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bricked Fortec Star Beta

• 07-10-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

By an ESB power cut.

You don't seem to be able to update firmware unless you can get into its Menus.

Sometimes displays " on " then a bright " oo " or " nn " or " rr " briefly before panel goes blank. No video.

Any ideas?

What "blind scan" receiver would folk recommend? (That's what I bought it for).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Sorry Watty, I can't offer any suggestions re. the Fortec, however I can recommend the Technomate TM-1000D as a v. good blind scan receiver.

~Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I also use a Technomate 1500 Super+ and have no problems. Also worth considering is the Manhattan XT range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I have a Manhattan Plaza ST250, with a self-installed HD. It will handle symbol rates up to 45k without problems. It's driving a Moteck SG2100A. The only slight issue I had with it was slow lock on the NBC transponders on 15W. The user interface is a bit quirky with a lot of use of primary colours - bit amateurish, not configureable. No access to the software internals - proprietary tools from manufacturer for firmware update and transponder list updates. The blind scan is very effective, though. I'm not familiar with the XT range which may have eliminated some of these niggles.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I also recommend Technomate, either the FTA TM-1000 models or the TM-1500 CI+, which as the name suggests, has a CI slot, and a card reader.

I've both, though only using the TM1500 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OK maybe next time I will buy the Technomate.
    The slightly good news is the 1 yr warranty on the FortecStars are honoured by Maplin, but not immediately in store. I paid by CC, so didn't need a receipt (March purchase). They will possibly ship a replacement direct to me or else I will have to pick it up in store.

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

They currently have the Fortec Star Lifetime II FTA on offer with an 85cm dish for €129. (half price supposedly)
    Says it has Powerscan - fast blind scan
    "http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=220072&doy=13m10
    for receiver only.
    If that is better than the Beta, maybe worth considering if they would give you the option of trading up.
    Have to say spec of Beta looks better, dont really understand the pricing but they dont look like same manufacturer.

After looking further as I guessed much like Comag they use OEMs in China etc but as of May2007 launched their first product (Passion) developed by their own engineers in their newly opened (?) engineering house in Korea. (I presume they just bought one of their main OEM suppliers)
    Reason was because of OEMs also selling through other retailers and no control over OEMs in measures to prevent hacking.
    They intend to cease using OEMs as their own products are introduced.
    So I'd expect lots of discontinued models from them soon.

Maplin has several sat items on offer this month including diseqc motor €64, twin lnb 34.49, touchbox2 FTA €68.49.
    Maybe at last they are starting to respond to the Lidl offers.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

watty wrote: »
    OK maybe next time I will buy the Technomate.
    The slightly good news is the 1 yr warranty on the FortecStars are honoured by Maplin, but not immediately in store. I paid by CC, so didn't need a receipt (March purchase). They will possibly ship a replacement direct to me or else I will have to pick it up in store.

Thanks folks.
    Well, that's not too bad. Maplin take around 3-4 weeks from experience to deal with returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I have a brand new fortec star beta 2 if ur interested watty

Maplin are sending a new replacement under Warrenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MD-GK

watty wrote: »
    By an ESB power cut.

You don't seem to be able to update firmware unless you can get into its Menus.

Sometimes displays " on " then a bright " oo " or " nn " or " rr " briefly before panel goes blank. No video.

Any ideas?

What "blind scan" receiver would folk recommend? (That's what I bought it for).
    Hello Watty,

I had exactly the same problem with a Fortec Star receiver that I got from maplin, I brought it back to them and they found nothing wrong with it. It turned out that it was my LNB at fault - random spikes being returned to the receiver causing it to freeze and the 7 segment display producing odd displays.

• Advertisement

I have an alternate receiver working ages on same LNB and back on it now. Lovely job, but not sold anymore. To-morrow I will ring Maplin and find out where the replacement is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eddy64

i fixed my beta which had the same problem, tried a lot of thngs and finally got it working by flashing it with the alpha software from the fortecstar site :D

Mine "bricked" again. There is a Feed Sat on Atlantic that when blind scanned does it :(

Was it Alpha SW you loaded to a Beta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eddy64

yes i flashed the alpha software to my beta reciever, i tried the beta software first but that didnt fix it (was still going to the black screen with the white line on it).

it might work for you or it might not, i think the alpha and beta recievers are nearly the same box.

Maybe the Alpha is Beta with the CI slot hardware?

Unfortunate names these days...

Advertisement