Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Complete respray

Options
  • 07-10-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of completely respraying my FTO, there are a couple of light scuffs on both bumpers, some stone chipping to the bonnet and front bumper, and the previous owner left a light crease on the 1/4 panel (no paint damage, just a crease!) there is als a small ding on the passenger door, and some chipping of paint under the fuel filler.

I could get these bits repaired, but the colour on the car was a one off and I don't have the code, and I also fancy something a little different.

Has anyone out there got their completely resprayed well, and how much did it cost? Is there any way to avoid overspray/bad finish around windscreen/window rubbers without taking them out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

To be honest your looking at €2.500 - €3K for a top quailty job that would include taking out all bits of trim, door handles, top door mouldings etc, i suppose you'd be looking at custom paint job, peal, twotone, flip? alot of prep work, as for overspray on windows and rubbers, either a stanley blade or thinners will do the trick, and the only way to prevent a poor finish is prep work and of scotching the car to get all surfaces roughed up so the paint will stick, and spraying in a booth.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not looking for flip or anything too fancy. just a shiny blue metallic colour.
    Didn't think it'd be as much as 2.5k to be honest.

I know a few good panel beaters and am gonna ring some tomorrow, just wanted a few rough figures before I started.

Here's how it looks now:
    myftoxn0.jpg

020202_7_m.jpg
    Ssang Yong Marine blue is the shade I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Nice colour, post a pic of yer car (didnt know ya had a FTO), yea its in around that kinda bread for a respray, its all just labour, and not forgetting inner sills and the inside of the doors.

Of course its a diffrent story for 'Mates Rates'

-VB-

ftofrontoq6.jpg

another one added to the previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nice color but tbh id save my money and import a gto or a decent mistu. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

if your planning to keep the car for at least a few years then a respray would be worth the money. But as FTO's dont make big money, it would not be worth it if you sell soon. The blue Ssang Yong is a very nice colour.

What kind FTO is it, always had a fancy for one of the MIVEC ones. think they done a striped out race one as well. GP version R or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

On a related note : What kind of quality should you expect from a respray? I've had a few spot repairs done on my car and though it looks fine from a distance if you look closely it's clearly not as good as the original paint. I know they probably use special tools to make sure the paint is evenly spead at the factory and stuff, but how good can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

On a related note : What kind of quality should you expect from a respray? I've had a few spot repairs done on my car and though it looks fine from a distance if you look closely it's clearly not as good as the original paint. I know they probably use special tools to make sure the paint is evenly spead at the factory and stuff, but how good can it be?

Depends on painter/bodyshop. Some "spraypainters" out there are cowboys, so check their previous work, equipment they have in the workshop, spraybooth / if there's one/, paints thay are using eventually willingnes to get high quality -expensive- paints for your respray. And generally they should know what they are talking about...
    Good spraygun with excellent atomisation will do miracles.

In general, spot repairs are bit more difficult to carry out, than full respray. It has to be nice clean job with polishing afterwards. Problem could be in paints used for spot repairing, pre paint preparation, after treatment... There could be tens of reasons for it

S.I.R wrote:
    nice color but tbh id save my money and import a gto or a decent mistu. :)

It's a GPX MIVEC V6, and a GTO doesn't interest me.
    Senna wrote:
    What kind FTO is it, always had a fancy for one of the MIVEC ones. think they done a striped out race one as well. GP version R or something.

Yeah, the GPvR is mechanically similar to the GPX, except it gets a LSD, strut braces, and coloured seats. and loses some equipment and sound deadening. A direct rival for the Integra Type R.

I can justify a respray, as the car already has a large amount of modifications done to it, and I intend on holding onto it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

colm_mcm wrote:
    not looking for flip or anything too fancy. just a shiny blue metallic colour.
    Didn't think it'd be as much as 2.5k to be honest.

I know a few good panel beaters and am gonna ring some tomorrow, just wanted a few rough figures before I started.

Here's how it looks now:
    myftoxn0.jpg

020202_7_m.jpg
    Ssang Yong Marine blue is the shade I want.

Colm_mcm is that yours!!- Its absolutely gorgeous! V6 manual mivec?? .. thinking of selling it anytime soon?!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement