Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke question (the green stuff :p)

• 07-10-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I was just wondering...

some of my mates like to smoke a few doobs ....if you were in a group of people who owned the substance and let you take a toke or two, but you never actually owned it in the first place yourself, can you be prosicuted if you were caught?

or only the provider?

This isn't because its happened to me..lol..just was always curious?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i think its classed as possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you are partaking in the smoking of the doob I don't see why you shouldn't take your share of the blame if the group is caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Cannabis is illegal so I presume one is not legally entitled to "own" it. Regardless of who actually had it in the first place, I'd presume you're all guilty of possession if you've all smoked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

How exactly could this arise?
    Cops stop four of you in a search. Guy who owns the smoke is found with it

Cop "Did any of ye young eejits smoke dis cannabis resin* tonight?" *:ah Garda, always so technical :D

Lad "Yeah, we did"

Whats he going to do, charge you, based on your confession, of having held a joints worth of hash at some point on the evening of October 8th 2007?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

And whoever passed it to you is guilty of dealing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's in your blood system you "own" it and can be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

biko wrote:

Not sure about that!!!
    Whoever is carrying it at the time the guard searches you, they will be the one prosecuted.

:cool: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

biko wrote:
    being charged purely on the basis of a drug being in your system (none on your person or any related paraphrenalia) only applies to opium. I reckon it would be very hard to make a prosecution for possession stick to a whole group of people if only one person actually was carrying some, even if cannabis was in your system they can't "back" charge you for possessing what you smoked originally afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,632 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the guards happen to catch you with the joint up to your lips,
    they search you and find no more,
    Only you will be charged even if your friend gave it to you. You're guilty of possession, you don't have to pay for it to be charge,
    The person who bought it won't be charge as he was never caught with any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Tha Gopher wrote:
    How exactly could this arise?
    Cops stop four of you in a search. Guy who owns the smoke is found with it

Cop "Did any of ye young eejits smoke dis cannabis resin* tonight?" *:ah Garda, always so technical :D

Lad "Yeah, we did"

Whats he going to do, charge you, based on your confession, of having held a joints worth of hash at some point on the evening of October 8th 2007?

Cannabis resin is hash which is brown. In the thread title, the OP says the green stuff meaning weed.

I have reported you to Terry for making useless contributions to the thread:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They would be far less interested in who is holding the joint and far more interested in who has the rock/baggie.

Either way, petty possession is hardly something to worry yourself about - though I bet youre getting paranoid anyway and I bet I know why :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What exactly do they do for possession? I've never been caught but got away closely a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

No, I'd say you wouldn't get in trouble for smoking it.
    Not worth thinking about really cos it's only very minor anyway sure some of them smoked it before anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Cannabis resin is hash which is brown. In the thread title, the OP says the green stuff meaning weed.

I have reported you to Terry for making useless contributions to the thread:D
    somebody knows a little to much...hmmm...druggie!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have friends who smoke. They just reek of it. Clothes, car, flat. Surprised they haven't been hauled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cant be done in for smelling like weed, miss Lagoon :p though I'd say it would warrant a frisk-search. Hell, you can (and I have) gone out on the street when a Gard was walking past and shouted "IM UNDERAGE AND IM DRUNK AND IM STONED" and yeah - what can they do: nada if you dont have anything on you (well, maybe disturbance).

that was a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

biko wrote:

Im afraid not the gardai can not prosecute for it being in your system they can only prosecute for possesion of the actual drug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Teddi wrote:
    I was just wondering...

some of my mates like to smoke a few doobs ....if you were in a group of people who owned the substance and let you take a toke or two, but you never actually owned it in the first place yourself, can you be prosicuted if you were caught?

or only the provider?

This isn't because its happened to me..lol..just was always curious?

OP how would the garda know you smoked it?
    if you were caught with smoking one "doob" by a gardai he would have said "doob" destroyed give a warning and send you on your way if he tried to bring such a case to a judge for prosecution there would be a very upset judge for wasting court time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

They won't do you for anything under €100, unless u have a big amount cut up they will do you with intent to sell, a samll bit for personal use they usually just take it off u and give u a warning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think how they t reat you is very much down to your attitude when they stop you.They can bust you for half a joint if you piss them off or let you away with a tenner's worth if they like you for some reason.Smoking in public is stupid IMO,its not worth getting a criminal conviction that'll follow you forever over a bit of smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I know a guy who was smoking a jay in his car, sees a cop car arrive, throws said jay out window, cop duly picks it up and asks if it was his, the guy doesn't see the point of lying and admits it is.

Long story short he is taken to court (yep, for being caught with half a jay) and has to pay a fine.

Then again I know guys who've been caught with a couple of grams and just had their product confiscated and given a warning, it's up to the discretion of the garda in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

biko wrote:

Nonsense. Being under the influence of a narcotic is not illigal in Ireland, being in possession of it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

--Kaiser-- wrote:
    I know a guy who was smoking a jay in his car, sees a cop car arrive, throws said jay out window, cop duly picks it up and asks if it was his, the guy doesn't see the point of lying and admits it is.

Long story short he is taken to court (yep, for being caught with half a jay) and has to pay a fine.

Then again I know guys who've been caught with a couple of grams and just had their product confiscated and given a warning, it's up to the discretion of the garda in question.
    Wanker cops.
    The cheek of them charging someone for driving under the influence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

booo, stop talking about drugs on boards

filthy hippies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yup, once it's in you not on, you your safe. Cops need to have evidence that you broke the law and I don't think they have the right to do random drug tests even if you do look under the influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

--Kaiser-- wrote:

Should have been disqualified from driving tbh. BIG difference between getting caught with half a joint and driving under the influence.
    Hellm0 wrote:
    Nonsense. Being under the influence of a narcotic is not illigal in Ireland, being in possession of it is.
    What have narcotics got to do with this topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Oh, should have mentioned the car was parked and he wasn't driving, he just came out of the pub for a smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Personally id sooner smoke soap than some of the grade z weed in this country. And the price of it and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Degsy wrote:
    I think how they t reat you is very much down to your attitude when they stop you.They can bust you for half a joint if you piss them off or let you away with a tenner's worth if they like you for some reason.Smoking in public is stupid IMO,its not worth getting a criminal conviction that'll follow you forever over a bit of smoke.

Yeah your right there, if your only carrying a little bit say enough for a couple of J's, and your caught-be as nice as possible to them *lick arse* in other words.
    And if it's an alright of a guard, the worst that should happen is that your weed will be confiscated.

And most likely be smoked later by him/her;) ;)

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

lezizi wrote:
    They won't do you for anything under €100, unless u have a big amount cut up they will do you with intent to sell, a samll bit for personal use they usually just take it off u and give u a warning.
    Thats BS, mate of mine got done for having a quarter at electric picnic. It's usually up to the cop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

This thread gave me the munchies. After I smoked a doob :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think you could be done under the "Being A Scrounger Law" 1963 Sec 2 Para 3.

Be careful. Be very, very careful.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

--Kaiser-- wrote:
    Oh, should have mentioned the car was parked and he wasn't driving, he just came out of the pub for a smoke
    Ahh. That's alright then.
    He was only breaking the law in a parked car.

I hope he didn't drive it home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

lezizi wrote:
    Not true at all, friend got his summons for having less than a quarter on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭eirekielthy

i love a canapiss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Smoke away who cares. It's not really illegal, is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Please don't drag up necro threads, it really wrecks my buzz..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement