Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with txts im not sending!

• 07-10-2007 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,

Is the following possible:

Somebody is sending my fiances 14 year old female cousin txts from my phone number. i've met the girl twice and dont even have her phone number but it turns out she has being txting who she thought was me and i have even being txting her back, which i havent - ive had no knowledge of this until the gardai phoned me on Saturday night and warned me to stop.

my fiance was in her house today and saw txts from my number. the txts are very obscene and a few have been frightening for the poor girl.

before anyone says it no, im not txting her!

does anyone know of this happening to anyone or know if its even possible....

thanks for the help,
    worried0512

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I guess it would be possible to send 'from your number' with free web texts if the web account was registered with your phone number . These would appear to have been sent from your device . It seems unlikely that you wouldnt actually receive the replies on your phone though . Any web accounts I'm familiar with that had an online inbox generally carried advertisements with the sent messages .
    Is it possible that it's not actually your number but that your name has been entered against someone else's number in your niece's mobile ? I know of many cases where that has happened (usually as a practical joke - nothing as severe as this) . The texts would then carry your name even though they are being sent from a different phone number .

EDIT * sorry , i referred to your niece but just realised it's your g/f's cousin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Worried0512

Hi nessyguin,

thanks for replying. she has my number saved on her phone but we have no idea where she got it from - funny thing is, on my calls summary on meteor it has some txts to her phone and 1 phone call but they were meant to have started on sept 11th, the summary shows 2 txts on the 11th and then nothing until the 23rd, 25th and 29th and then nothing again after that.

She said i was txting her 10 - 12 times a day everyday since the 11th but there is nothing on my call summary except for the dates above.

i have no idea how this is even happening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Does anyone else have access to your phone? Did you lose your phone at any stage?

hi ciaranfo,

i work for the pubic sector in schools and put my phone down all the time but i couldnt be 100% sure if anyone took it.

she said she txted back nearly all of the txts from my number but i didnt receive a single txt from her, i dont even have her phone number!

Did she get delivery reports for the texts to your number? Can her network confirm they were sent to your number?

Also, change your online webtext login password and security question/answer as soon as possible just in case.

• Advertisement

changed my password today - does txt u send from their website appear on your account summary?

her sent txts dont save and we dont think she gets delivery reports. she said she she was txting back and forth with me over the past month in the mornings and evenings so the txts were going somewhere and someone was txting her back.

If you're with O2 they will show on your bill/call summary as "Free text message" on the O2 website.

On Meteor/Vodafone they won't, not sure if their respective tech departments can track it or not though.

Best option is to change your password (as you've done), setup a security keylock on your phone to keep people from using it if you put it down (better still, try keep it on you at all times). Then go and report it to your network, and then to the guards (your side of things, I know they've already contacted you .. but this may not have been official?). Then allow them to take it from there.

thanks for all your help ciaranfo.

been to the guards this evening, said not much they could do - only trace the phone which would show who i was txting but these txts are apparently coming from my phone. the guard here said he would contact the guard in the other station for me and explain that id been in to see him.

going into meteor first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully they can help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

changed my password today - does txt u send from their website appear on your account summary?

her sent txts dont save and we dont think she gets delivery reports. she said she she was txting back and forth with me over the past month in the mornings and evenings so the txts were going somewhere and someone was txting her back.

Could the two of ye get together with her parents present, and let her text a message too your phone as you stand beside her. Once it does not come into your phone, it will prove your innocent in this matter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what do you mean her texts don't save? Unless she's manually deleting them then she has some kind of crazy phone i've never heard of.

your webtexts don't appear on your account but if you go to the text page online it'll tell you how many you have left. If there's less than there should be then thats how its happening

the fact that she says she's texting back and forth with you is EXTREMELY unusual. The only way to do that without the culprit having your phone in his hand is to make a copy of your sim. To do that he'd have to have had access to your sim and very expensive sim copying equipment. And i don't think both sims can be active on the network at the same time. And if that was possible then both phones should get the texts

maybe she's lying? Or maybe the number is just similar to yours

• Advertisement

Hi rockman,

brilliant idea but she lives in over 2 hours away so chances r i will never see her or be welcome in her house by her parents judging by the txts she was getting!

also phone powered itself off yesterday and had to remove and replace the sim card and then today i got a txt and when i opened it, the phone reset itslef and reverted to factory settings - i didnt even know that was possible to do by txt!

Hi Commander,

My fiance saw her phone today and its def off my number - u can set some phone not to save ur sent msgs, at least i thought u could!

i was checking this up earlier and apparently u can clone a phones details in 60 seconds now but wouldnt know if anyone here has that ability yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can you get your fiance to borrow the phone for the night. Get her to bring it to you and then try texting your number off it.

hi almighty

shes already blocked my number so will be interesting to see if anymore have been sent after it was blocked so txting from my phone shouldnt work.

besides judging by the txts she was getting there is no way her parents would let me near her phone!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Give your phone to the fiance next time she heads home.

the girl is my fiances mothers brothers daughter - if that makes sense.....
    we rarely see them and ive only ever met her cousin twice in my whole life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hi almighty

shes already blocked my number so will be interesting to see if anymore have been sent after it was blocked so txting from my phone shouldnt work.

besides judging by the txts she was getting there is no way her parents would let me near her phone!
    you can set it not to save sent messages sorry. I thought you were talking about the ones you apparently sent

The length of time needed to clone the sim isn't really the issue. You still need to physically have the sim and the equipment. Since its unlikely someone carries the equipment with them they would have needed to take your phone for quite a while. And even if it had been cloned, that doesn't expain why you never got any of the texts she apparently sent you

Hi commander,

thats true about me not getting the txts - is it possible to divert txts from one phone number to another?

Hi commander,

thats true about me not getting the txts - is it possible to divert txts from one phone number to another?
    While it's no doubt "possible" this isn't a service that any of the networks offer. So no is the answer to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

hey worried has she said shes been getting any texts now you've changed your password for webtexts because that sounds like the cause to me

• Advertisement

That doesn't explain how she was texting him back but he didn't get any of the messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Sorry to sound like a sceptical asshole, but if I was caught kiddyfiddling over txt then I'd sure as hell look for an excuse to blame someone else.

If I was caught :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

interesting stuff..

i know it's possible to clone a sim, but not sure if you can have two identical sims active in different grids (for security reasons)..

the most likely scenario is that someone is sending webtexts from your no/account and has somehow managed to divert all incoming texts from your phone, to theirs.

pretty complicated stuff, but again it's possible if you have the right stuff and you're into your phones..

i think you should try to nail this guy whoever he is as that sort of crap isn't on.. he could lure her to a meeting place etc.. and you of course would look guilty.. so he could actually frame you.

perhaps get grid locations of where the texts where sent/times etc.. and see if they match up with your home/work grid locations?

you'd have to ask your network on how to do that, but it might be worth it..

Hi Smemon,

Thanks for the reply - ill be on to meteor first thing tomorrow and will be calling into the nearest shop i can find to get some answers.

dont think id ask her to try lure him into a meeting, never forgive myself if anything happened

Doubt a Meteor shop is gonna be much use to you. They wouldn't have access to the tech side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Could it be that old trick where you put your number in the phone book with a fake number as the name? If so it would show up as your number and not your name in her inbox.

Could it be that old trick where you put your number in the phone book with a fake number as the name? If so it would show up as your number and not your name in her inbox.

Never thought of that. That would explain it all right.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

you sure this isnt someone who has, for example, 0871234567 as opposed to your 0861234567? I have heard of this happening before because of that. Just the network prefix being different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

How do u block a number? i am getting unwanted txts and pic messages from someone and would love to block em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

brightkane wrote:
    How do u block a number? i am getting unwanted txts and pic messages from someone and would love to block em

You contact your network or maybe their network, I'm not sure. That counts as cyber-bullying, so maybe you should contact the gardaí about it - even if they don't act on it, they could keep it on file maybe...

Advertisement