Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up religion as an exam subject

Options
  • 07-10-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

id love to do religion as an exam subject

my school teaches it more or less to an exam standard (according to my teacher) but doesnt ask us to sit the exam

anyone know how i can take it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It requires a lot of work. We are starting our coursework project now. You might be a bit overwhelmed with everything that's all I can say. There are a lot of sections to the Religion course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Jakkass wrote:
    You might be a bit overwhelmed with everything that's all I can say.

Especially if you are an Atheist;)

Naikon wrote:

a lot of Secular Humanism and the secular response is also dealed with in Section A of the course. So it's not neglected. But I understand what you mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Naikon wrote:

I don't know about that, I mean they don't make you learn scripture....

Em... to an extent you have to look at Scripture (particularly the Gospels) for the Christianity section, and it's apparently good to be able to quote in answers, or refer to specific parables and miracles and how they show us about the Kingdom of God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ciaral

but i have no idea what the course intails atm

can you explain it for me?

Ciaral wrote:

http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ciaral wrote: »
    but i have no idea what the course intails atm

You can get the syllabus on The DES site

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ciara: What year are you in? if you're in fifth it should be no bother to pick it up now, if in 6th tyou'll have to spend a bit of time doing a lot fo reading to get yourself up to speed but really most of it it a lot of learning off so if you can do that you're grand.

http://www.ress.ie/ - Religious Education Support Service, Junior and Leaving Cert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Louisecj

eugh religion..i got the notion at the start of 6th year to take it up..and here i am swamped in philosophy,symbols and all the rest!.. but well if u can learn easily, its do-able (hopefully i can pull it off!)
    dont feel daunted by picking it up in a year...if your determined you'll be grand!
    personally im not religious at all, but like just knowing everything is really interesting cause it applies to so many current issues,and you end up with a better understanding of the way people are and why!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

they made us take it for the junior cert and I'd say it was the second hardest exam I took..

so I was put right off it.
    but if you like the subject you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thed4king

Im in 5th yr now and all we do in religion is have casual "discussions" about random topics. No homework, no exams, no nothing! its a gr8 break during the day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why the fcsk would you want to do religion as an exam subject? Seriously though?

It's actually called Religious Education for a reason. You learn about all the major religions, there is no bias there towards Catholicism or indeed any Religion.

E92 wrote: »
    Why the fcsk would you want to do religion as an exam subject? Seriously though?

It's actually called Religious Education for a reason. You learn about all the major religions, there is no bias there towards Catholicism or indeed any Religion.

Some people would have an interest in it. The content is pretty good, I think anyway. Mind you I am reasonably religious.

Good post from Louise I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

I'm in 6th year and i personally love leaving cert RE, my teacher is amazing though so that helps i suppose. If you're into history or english it's similar in that the paper is all essays. Don't be put off by JC religion because although some of the same stuff is covered the course is very different. there's no short questions on the exam or anything either. You look at ancient philosophy and modern philosophers like Nietzsche, Marx, Camus. Then there's stuff about christianity, world religions, cults, secularism, morality, the bible, religion in ireland, etc etc. It's my favourite subject and once you get the hang of the essay writing (which i didn't do until well into the second half of 5th year, so current 5th years dont fret!) i actually think it's pretty easy. I'm hoping for a high B or A in the leaving so fingers crossed :D

Now three months into 5th year I realise how awful religion is, hopefully it's just section A that's the crap bit cos it's so wishy-washy, I'm hoping the rest will be a little more concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Piste wrote: »
    Now three months into 5th year I realise how awful religion is, hopefully it's just section A that's the crap bit cos it's so wishy-washy, I'm hoping the rest will be a little more concrete.

If ya wanted concrete, ya shoulda done construction studies!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Jakkass wrote: »
    Em... to an extent you have to look at Scripture (particularly the Gospels) for the Christianity section, and it's apparently good to be able to quote in answers, or refer to specific parables and miracles and how they show us about the Kingdom of God.
    Yep. Plus the correctors will mostly be catholic ;)

Leaving Certificate Fairy tale studies tbh.
    The fact the subject is even available, while other more important subjects like computing is disregarded sickens me.
    Pick a Science subject or something that's quantifiable and based on actual evidence, unlike this trash.
    Hell, home ec has to be better than learning about a carpenter/crowd magician.
    I know it's not all about the above, but there is far too much emphasis on scripture and religious stuff.

*awaits flaming*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Naikon wrote: »
    The fact the subject is even available, while other more important subjects like computing is disregarded sickens me.

I know it's not all about the above, but there is far too much emphasis on scripture and religious stuff.

*awaits flaming*

sickens me seems a tad extreme no?

there really isnt that much emphasis on scripture (and well relegious stuff is fairly f*ckin obvious now in fairness, what do you want a secular relegion paper?), i am a devout agnostic but its a reasonably relevant subject if you want to be culturaly aware :D

also those who need the points would find it useful

Pick a Science subject or something that's quantifiable and based on actual evidence, unlike this trash.
    Hell, home ec has to be better than learning about a carpenter/crowd magician.

*awaits flaming*

What do you know of the religion course? Why do you say it's based on no fact. We study what people believe, are you saying people don't actually believe this stuff, and that the DOE is lying to us by saying they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

wtf!! religion is a subject for the leaving!!, jesus serious dumin down or what
    and still no course for it/computing, ireland supposedly being a knowledged based economy!!

Saying LC religion is crap when you know nothing about it is like saying LC English is crap because Mr. Men books didn't appeal to you.

Piste wrote: »
    Why do you say it's based on no fact

There is absolutely no evidence to support any religious belief.

(Religion != reality I'm afraid)

declan_lgs wrote: »
    Yep. Plus the correctors will mostly be catholic ;)

That isn't really much of an issue, I'm COI personally and our teacher teaches from this perspective as well but I'd have a knowledge of the Apocrypha as well such as Maccabees, and doctrines like purgatory and transubstantiation.
    Naikon wrote:

Theres enough factual basis to keep me believing. The historical figures that are in the Bible are entirely accurate, let alone that there is historical proof of Jesus in Palestine also. (see the works of Josephus, Tactius, and Pliny the Younger, and the Church History by Eusebius would be a handy thing to read).

Oh and weren't you the guy on the Christianity forum who was asking about how to salvage what was left of his Christian faith - ala this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114416

I'm sorry that you have lost your faith but it is no reason to be so closed minded about it.

That isn't really much of an issue, I'm COI personally and our teacher teaches from this perspective as well but I'd have a knowledge of the Apocrypha as well such as Maccabees, and doctrines like purgatory and transubstantiation.

Theres enough factual basis to keep me believing. The historical figures that are in the Bible are entirely accurate, let alone that there is historical proof of Jesus in Palestine also. (see the works of Josephus, Tactius, and Pliny the Younger, and the Church History by Eusebius would be a handy thing to read).

Oh and weren't you the guy on the Christianity forum who was asking about how to salvage what was left of his Christian faith - ala this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114416

I'm sorry that you have lost your faith but it is no reason to be so closed minded about it.

The miracles, stories, the entire belief system.......don't make any sense to me anymore.
    Atheism/agnosticism just makes more logical sense to me.
    This sums up my beliefs.

http://www.chick.net/nogod.html

But yeah, I guess people are entitled to their own opinions so I don't mind too much
    as long as Religion doesn't interfere with secular living.

Naikon: I really don't mind what you think. I just prefer if discussion about religion didn't involve terms such as "fairy tales". As during my personal study of theology, one finds that it is actually a very complicated but interesting subject of its own. I don't mind what you believe, as long as you keep it a respectful discussion, and of course allow for open-mindedness. Hostility isn't going to make anything any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Did you read what she said?
    Here it is again:
    "We study what people believe, are you saying people don't actually believe this stuff, and that the DOE is lying to us by saying they do?"
    If you mean to say that there is no evidence to support the existence of any religious belief, then I think the mere existence of Jakkass, among many other people (see your local place of religious worship), would prove you wrong.

This kind of "I hate religion get it away from me, you're all fools!" is what gives atheists a bad name.

• Advertisement

Naikon: I really don't mind what you think. I just prefer if discussion about religion didn't involve terms such as "fairy tales". As during my personal study of theology, one finds that it is actually a very complicated but interesting subject of its own.

http://www.brendancalling.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/christianity.JPG

Studying theology is a waste of time in my humble opinion.
    There is no escaping the fact that these sources are pure nonsense.
    Historically speaking, Jesus was a mere manipulative mortal.

I don't want to particularly offend you, but do you honestly believe that
    it's acceptable in this day and age to believe that the earth is 6000 years old, and that Jesus was a magical holy figure from the heavens?
    Why is religion used as tool to cover up our lack of knowledge about the universe?

It makes perfect sense to me, you can't prove a negative.
    I stand by my terms until proven otherwise.

Advertisement