Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options
  • 07-10-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

The core class on the Renaissance on Tuesday/Thursdays, whens the first essay due in for and what are the titles if they've been announced? Been out for the last 2 weeks and it's not in my blackboard so I can't even mail the lecturer..

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Due week 7. Go to the history office k107 and ask them for the titles.Or else go to the tutors room, they'll have copies of them.Theres a good bit of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Savage cheers. Week 7 is the next week right? As in week of the 22-26?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Its rant time. The class Ranaissance to Enlightenment is the biggest joke of a class I have ever been in. It does not even have a f***ing blackboard, the lectures are too early in the morning for the atypical student to attend. I have to get up at 6am just to get in. It does not operate the seminar system employed by the other history modules so you have no idea when essays are due. The delivery of lectures is a bit fast so the lecture notes I take down are incomplete which is not a problem in other courses as the have a blackboard. In the other classes I am in the seminars are taken by the actual lecturers themselves, in this one there is only two seminars take by tutors, so no contact with the lecturers there. Its rubbish, end of rant!!!

Brimmy wrote:
    Savage cheers. Week 7 is the next week right? As in week of the 22-26?

Friday at 1pm on the 26th of October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Its rant time. The class Ranaissance to Enlightenment is the biggest joke of a class I have ever been in. It does not even have a f***ing blackboard, the lectures are too early in the morning for the atypical student to attend. I have to get up at 6am just to get in. It does not operate the seminar system employed by the other history modules so you have no idea when essays are due. The delivery of lectures is a bit fast so the lecture notes I take down are incomplete which is not a problem in other courses as the have a blackboard. In the other classes I am in the seminars are taken by the actual lecturers themselves, in this one there is only two seminars take by tutors, so no contact with the lecturers there. Its rubbish, end of rant!!!
    I agree. I hate it so much! My tutor was quite nice, but you can't exactly cover alot in 2 tutorials, 1 for each essay. Ridiculous.

How do I get my hands on the overheads again?

Also what the f*ck is that lecturer talking about over Blackboard? Intellectual rights or somethin? I know he has law qualifications, but no other lecturers have this problem with Blackboard (although they don't all use it obviously).

Is he just causing a fuss for the sake of it?

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    I agree. I hate it so much! My tutor was quite nice, but you can't exactly cover alot in 2 tutorials, 1 for each essay. Ridiculous.

How do I get my hands on the overheads again?

Also what the f*ck is that lecturer talking about over Blackboard? Intellectual rights or somethin? I know he has law qualifications, but no other lecturers have this problem with Blackboard (although they don't all use it obviously).

Is he just causing a fuss for the sake of it?

Yes he is. He is something that rhymes with banker, no need to repeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

What will we be covering in Renaissance to Enlightenment seminars? Has anyone here already been to one?

It's strange that there are only two seminars for this course and there is ten for the Age of Mohammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Does anyone know if the essay titles vary depending on tutor? I missed my first seminar, but can get the titles off a friend. I'm just making sure I don't do the wrong title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How much are the essays worth? I heard that they are worth 25% each and i also heard they are 12.5% each and the module outline says essays contribute a total of 20%:confused::confused::confused::confused:

How much are the essays worth? I heard that they are worth 25% each and i also heard they are 12.5% each and the module outline says essays contribute a total of 20%:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We were told by the tutor that the amoun of words has increased in each but that each is only worth 12.5 %.:(

• Advertisement

My tutor "assumes" they're worth 25% each but isn't sure.....

This class is a f*cking joke. Ridiculous.

Missed the lecture again today despite getting up at 6.30am :rolleyes:

Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

This thread brings back so many memories. Almost all of them terrible.
    Missed the lecture again today despite getting up at 6.30am
    Ah, it's nice to see that today's students have to cope with the same magnificent timetabling as in my day... which admittedly was only 2 years ago, but still.

Were there seminars this week or last? I'm assuming you can get the essay titles from the office otherwise I'm completly screwed. The lectures themselves did seem to be a bit of a joke and the lack of blackboard is just retarded, I haven't been able to make it in for the last 2 weeks and because of the lack of blackboard and only 2 tutorials I haven't been able to contact anyone about information, I'd email the lecturer about it but judging from what I saw I guess I'd just get a smarmy prick of an answer.

Brimmy wrote:
    Were there seminars this week or last? I'm assuming you can get the essay titles from the office otherwise I'm completly screwed. The lectures themselves did seem to be a bit of a joke and the lack of blackboard is just retarded, I haven't been able to make it in for the last 2 weeks and because of the lack of blackboard and only 2 tutorials I haven't been able to contact anyone about information, I'd email the lecturer about it but judging from what I saw I guess I'd just get a smarmy prick of an answer.

They are both this week and last week. Maybe you could drop into one but I have no idea when they are as I have not checked the noticeboard and even then it might not be on it. I could PM yo the essay titles if you want. I would guess they are the same for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

I was in my first seminar today. It was fine. The tutor gave us the titles for both assignments.

They are both this week and last week. Maybe you could drop into one but I have no idea when they are as I have not checked the noticeboard and even then it might not be on it. I could PM yo the essay titles if you want. I would guess they are the same for everyone.

If you wouldn't mind that'd be quite helpful. My tutorial was for last week at Thursday at 12 I think, if anyone was in that can they also pm me or post the tutors email?

I was thinking that maybe all in the class should complain to the history department or the SU education officer. The class is too early. People commuting from inside Dublin can get up at 6am and miss the class due to traffic delays etc and a lot of people in the class commute here from outside Dublin, just think how bad it is for them. This is not normally a problem in other courses as if you miss a class you can just get the notes off blackboard. But hey this class, the core class for 4-500 history students does not have a blackboard. Its a f***ing disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I remeber doing that course in those bygone days of 2004-2005.

Its a nice course when it comes to the exam. Its just boring as sin to listen to.

Is the Irish Experience 1300-1750 still there. Now that was a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I was thinking that maybe all in the class should complain to the history department or the SU education officer. The class is too early. People commuting from inside Dublin can get up at 6am and miss the class due to traffic delays etc and a lot of people in the class commute here from outside Dublin, just think how bad it is for them. .

I assume your class starts no earlier than 9am. The chance of you getting in changed are roughly 0. 9am classes are unpleasent but that's life.
    This is not normally a problem in other courses as if you miss a class you can just get the notes off blackboard. But hey this class, the core class for 4-500 history students does not have a blackboard. Its a f***ing disgrace.

I don't understand why students feel entitled to have class notes up on blackboard to be honest, neither can I see how not having them up can, with any sense of seriousness, be called a disgrace. In the days before blackboard were all university courses a "****ing disgrace"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I was thinking that maybe all in the class should complain to the history department or the SU education officer. The class is too early. People commuting from inside Dublin can get up at 6am and miss the class due to traffic delays etc and a lot of people in the class commute here from outside Dublin, just think how bad it is for them. This is not normally a problem in other courses as if you miss a class you can just get the notes off blackboard. But hey this class, the core class for 4-500 history students does not have a blackboard. Its a f***ing disgrace.

ah now! we had the exact same class last year, same time, same lack of blackboard, i had to travel 2 hours to get there! its not gonna be changed especially since next week is week 6& its 9 am, early starts are a fact of life.

the blackboard thing, does he still put photocopies in the history department?
    He did this last year, which is essentially the same as blackboard. if he's not doing this, ask him to do so. i'd imagine thats about as much as you could do there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scalder

A Blackboard - now I get you, I was thinking things had hardly gone that far that UCD didn't have blackboards anymore!

Enjoy it folks, they really, really are the best days of your life...

He mentioned a reading week on Thurs... Is that this week? We have no lectures?

Also is that just in his class, or every history class?

DaveMcG wrote: »
    He mentioned a reading week on Thurs... Is that this week? We have no lectures?

Also is that just in his class, or every history class?

All history is off next week.

Sweet...... now I don't really have an excuse for not doing my essays :o

Has anybody else not started the one for Renaissance? AFAIK I have a week... should be alright since there's no lectures. I also have to start the Middle East one, but that one's not due til after, and actually looks interesting, unlike Renaissance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Sweet...... now I don't really have an excuse for not doing my essays :o

Has anybody else not started the one for Renaissance? AFAIK I have a week... should be alright since there's no lectures. I also have to start the Middle East one, but that one's not due til after, and actually looks interesting, unlike Renaissance :(

you have 2 weeks really till renaissance essay is due (end of week 7)
    Middle East on is due week nine. Is the title the one about the king crane commission?

Ah, cheers.

There's 5 essay titles on Blackboard for ME. King-Crane is probably the one I'll go for (although I'm currently making my way through the NSA document).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Frank Thomas

does anyone know the essay titles and or submission dates for the japan china and korea "asian tiger" elective ?

does anyone know the essay titles and or submission dates for the japan china and korea "asian tiger" elective ?

Not due till the 16th november. Between 3000- 5000 words. The titles are too long and i couldnt be arsed typing them out. He left copies of it in k107 though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Frank Thomas

Flume wrote: »
    Not due till the 16th november. Between 3000- 5000 words. The titles are too long and i couldnt be arsed typing them out. He left copies of it in k107 though.;)
    cheers, il check them out tomorrow then so, 3-5000 words though ! bit excessive. hes a strange fruit though i suppose.

• Advertisement

cheers, il check them out tomorrow then so, 3-5000 words though ! bit excessive. hes a strange fruit though i suppose.

Wait until you read the handout. He's very specific in what he wants.

Advertisement