Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yep I don't like it at all..... Nearly fell asleep in the 2 lectures we've had in it. Why doesn't he give us all copies of his pre-written speech? Would probably be handy, cos I can barely even hear him in the lectures.

Come back Prof Bric, all is forgiven :(

BTW, anybody been to any of this guy's seminars? What does he do at them? Haven't bothered.

ALSO, haven't been to any of Prof Gerwarth's recent seminars either :D Has be mentioned the exam?

Nothing about the exam yet.

I went to the american seminars. Just like his lectures so if you dont like them, i wouldn't bother. I really hope he gives them notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Flume wrote: »
    Nothing about the exam yet.

I went to the american seminars. Just like his lectures so if you dont like them, i wouldn't bother. I really hope he gives them notes.

Are we talking about the US History 1800-1877 course yeah?

Haven't been to the new lecturer yet. I'm guessing we've had 1 lecture and 1 seminar with him so far? Missed both.

I dunno what to focus on for our 100% exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Had 2 lectures and 2 seminars...

Maurice Bric (the first lecturer) said he'd give a question on each of the topics covered in his lectures, so that should be okay. Dunno bout yer other man though

Had 2 lectures and 2 seminars...

Maurice Bric (the first lecturer) said he'd give a question on each of the topics covered in his lectures, so that should be okay. Dunno bout yer other man though
    Aw yeah? We had a lecture and seminar before break then? **** I need to get to lectures really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyone here doing C.Doherty's "Kingship of Tara"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Grimes wrote: »
    Anyone here doing C.Doherty's "Kingship of Tara"?

Not me, but I heard its an interesting course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ronald777

What about 'Media 1450 - 1650' anyone know what's happening in that? I haven't been in since the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

i failed renaissance to enlightment too. say a fair portion of that class did. least the resit essay isn't too bad. 2500 words for the 25th. whole lot less work than the original assessment actually which was 4 essays. anyone doing verdi to vespa, the italian history module?

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    i failed renaissance to enlightment too. say a fair portion of that class did. least the resit essay isn't too bad. 2500 words for the 25th. whole lot less work than the original assessment actually which was 4 essays. anyone doing verdi to vespa, the italian history module?

I am, its really good, Dr Kerr is a good lecturer.

yeah he's pretty funny. a whole lecture on the culture of italian beaches- redefines education somewhat. i'm just looking forward to his next encounter with technology. unusual hatred of dates and statistics for a history lecturer though.

• Advertisement

yeah he's pretty funny. a whole lecture on the culture of italian beaches- redefines education somewhat. i'm just looking forward to his next encounter with technology. unusual hatred of dates and statistics for a history lecturer though.

Yeah, he describes himself as a social historian. If someone brought up some obscure fact in the exam he will probably give them a good mark. I was in that beach class too, he plugged his upcoming book lol.

that's true, i might throw in a couple of funky futurist facts in the exam. so handy he gave us the topics already. at least now we can enjoy the course instead of freaking out about grades. lol. love the book plug. maybe next week he'll wear a t shirt with its launch date on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Hey there resit partner! I'm just about to get started on that now.. are you doing Calvin or the Hapsburg/Richeliu question? Doing Calvin myself.. seems a lot less convoluted.

I'm still trying to start my Ireland essay :pac: It's pretty straight forward (the plantations one), and I have about half of it planned. 20% for 800 word, feckin hell that's generous.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm still trying to start my Ireland essay :pac: It's pretty straight forward (the plantations one), and I have about half of it planned. 20% for 800 word, feckin hell that's generous.......

Yeah, I started looking at books for that today. The fact it's due in two weeks and only 800 words has made me really lazy about it. I was dozing off in the library at 10.30am this morning, so I figured I best leave it for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

+1

couldnt be more in the same boat if i tried! Whip out the old junior cert history book i say!

:D:D:D I soooo woulda done that if I could find it!!! :pac: Ahh well...

FYI, that 'Making Ireland British' book is good for the plantations essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

where would i source such a book? the bookshop perchance or is it available free of charge in the library :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

:D:D:D I soooo woulda done that if I could find it!!! :pac: Ahh well...

FYI, that 'Making Ireland British' book is good for the plantations essay.

Yeah, that's the one I was looking at (there's a few in the library). It's also the one that put me to sleep. I don't think it was that boring, just a lack of sleep on my part. I picked the plantations essay because there's probably more books available on it than most others.

Rant:

Does someone want to explain the logic of giving an 80% assignment on a choice of 2 essays with only 1 copy of each book on the list!!? The class being atleast 100 students. We only got the assignment before Easter break too.

Not to mention that the person that gets that copy can keep renewing it? All the books have been reserved(one has 7 pending reserves) despite the deadline being next Friday and the due date back being next Wednesday for the books I saw.

GG.

Also is there a problem with UCD email, 3 lecturers still haven't responded to me from emails I sent last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You cannot renew a book that's been reserved, renewing is only allowed if no one else wants the book.

Hey there resit partner! I'm just about to get started on that now.. are you doing Calvin or the Hapsburg/Richeliu question? Doing Calvin myself.. seems a lot less convoluted.
    Hey Brimmalicious! i'm doing the Richelieu essay. mainly cos i already started it last semester but ended up abandoning it and never handed anything up. stupid though that may sound, it was my last essay of a series of 6 all due within 2 weeks of each other. "subject was found unconcious on the library floor, somewhere between GEN944.03 and GEN956. Upon wake she was found to be incoherent and very, very irritable." :p

Wow that U.S history lecturer atm really sucks. He was late and he didn't start the lecture until 10:30 basically due to his waffling, then at 10:50 he just said we were out of time and went :| that was the first one of his I went to. I'm kinda wishing I never chose this course.

No notes on Blackboard too. Could anyone tell me what the subjects he covered in his previous lectures? As I'm feeling kinda screwed atm for this course. Did he give any handouts previous? F.e on his part of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

Don't worry,i t's only 77 years of history. Just read about the major events and points: slavery, the Union, civil war, something about Texas.

Wow that U.S history lecturer atm really sucks. He was late and he didn't start the lecture until 10:30 basically due to his waffling, then at 10:50 he just said we were out of time and went :| that was the first one of his I went to. I'm kinda wishing I never chose this course.

No notes on Blackboard too. Could anyone tell me what the subjects he covered in his previous lectures? As I'm feeling kinda screwed atm for this course. Did he give any handouts previous? F.e on his part of the course.

He sent an absolute mess of an email about 3 weeks ago with a reading list, could not make heads or tails of it. I might email the first guy and ask him for hints, he is good for answering emails apparently.

Hah, glad I didn't bother going to that lecture today then! :D Went to the library and did a bit of my Ireland essay instead :)

Hah, glad I didn't bother going to that lecture today then! :D Went to the library and did a bit of my Ireland essay instead :)

I'm glad I stayed in bed:):):)

He sent an absolute mess of an email about 3 weeks ago with a reading list, could not make heads or tails of it. I might email the first guy and ask him for hints, he is good for answering emails apparently.
    Yeah i have that too, it is a bloody mess.

Anybody know how to get an extension for an essay?

That Plantations essay was due today wasn't it :( Haven't even started it. I'm an idiot.

Thinking of getting a sick note to explain not being able to get it in today.... I am pretty sick....

Also, would anybody be able to post the sample exam questions Dr Gerwarth gave during last week's seminar? I went yesterday and he was discussing it, but I didn't have time to ask him for a copy afterwards.

Failing that I'll just email him and ask him, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Anybody know how to get an extension for an essay?

That Plantations essay was due today wasn't it :( Haven't even started it. I'm an idiot.

Thinking of getting a sick note to explain not being able to get it in today.... I am pretty sick....

Also, would anybody be able to post the sample exam questions Dr Gerwarth gave during last week's seminar? I went yesterday and he was discussing it, but I didn't have time to ask him for a copy afterwards.

Failing that I'll just email him and ask him, no problem.

No that essay isnt due till next week.The end of week 11.So you can relax.;)

Advertisement