Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Suhh weet!!!

I'll DEFINITELY get it done over the weekend.... DEFINITELY!!!

I do not deserve to pass if I don't get that feckin essay done :mad:

God this exam lark is startin to worry me now :( Think I'm gonna quit my job in a week so I have a bit of time to study

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

So erm was that the last U.S History lecture today? Didn't finish until 5 past 11 :|

Dunno what to think of this guys part of the course tbh.

I haven't a clue bout his part of the course.... think I'll just make a note of the topics and then read up on them in the book.

BTW did anyone mail Maurice Bric? Someone said they were gonna ask him for tips

Also, what are the requirements for the essay? Is there a certain amount of footnotes/books to be used? And also, what font, etc., is it supposed to be? :o Think this is my only essay of the semester, so I'm a little rusty! :D

Just about to start the writing part...... fun fun fun.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Has anyone finished the Early Modern Ireland essay. I'm doing the Ulster plantations one and I got to the consequences part of that and got stumped. I wrote something vague about the Troubles or something. Not exactly A standard.

Hah yeah I'm struggling a bit with the consequences too! :D Talk a bit about the 1641 insurrection. I'm also writing vague stuff about the troubles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I talked about the economic and social consequences it brought. I didnt mention the troubles, you could i suppose as it fits into social.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Just about to start typing the Irish essay now, doing the question on the Nine Years War. I should have a finished draft by some stage in the morning.

Wooo!!

It's due tomorrow at 12, innit Brimmy?

I'm finished it.... except, I only used 2 books, and didn't bother putting in footnotes :( So gonna do that now, and then add in some random books for the bibliography. Then finally be done with the bloody thing!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It's due tomorrow at 12, innit Brimmy?

Is it 12? I don't know, I was never able to make it to either of the tutorials so it's going to be interesting having to hand it in..

Yeah me too :D AFAIK my tutor is Emma Lyons, so I'll go with that......

• Advertisement

Yeah me too :D AFAIK my tutor is Emma Lyons, so I'll go with that......

Damn you! Meh I'm sure I'll be able to find out easily enough.. so deadlines in less than 12 hours.. half the essay typed out and notes all in front of me.. god I hate 800 word assignments, they're so annoying to construct :(

Get off boards and do it! :D I was hoping to print it out and write in some nice points to put footnotes, but alas, I'm out of ink. Story of my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Did anyone else get an email off a worried student about exam topics for US history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

You're not allowed to include books in your bibliography that have not been referred to, in the footnotes. I'd say it'll especially obvious in an 800 word essay.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

Since when? I do it all the time and get no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

good luck guys on essay!!:D

the real post:

:O 2nd art related thread has a 20+ pages posts?!

must be a record in our forum,gotta leave my footprint here historical page:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Did anyone else get an email off a worried student about exam topics for US history?

Yeah. Cant see why she doesn't just email the lecturer instead of all us?:confused:

Might have something to do with the fact that he doesn't answer his emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Yeah got that too, wouldn't mind knowing myself tbh...

Ugh still doing essays atm and exams in two weeks :(

spaceman1 wrote: »
    Since when? I do it all the time and get no complaints.

Since forever. I got busted on it last year for Renaissance and marked down a grade point for it.

Subsequently is anyone doing the Calvin Renaissance repeat essay? What are you focusing on, just his control over the state or are you examining the the conflicts with the Libertines et al?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Chakar wrote: »
    You're not allowed to include books in your bibliography that have not been referred to, in the footnotes.
    :confused:
    I've always done this, never a problem and I dont see why there would be. It is totally legitimate to include any reading you did in the bibliography if the ideas held within contributed to the finished essay, even if you didnt quote it directly or footnote. If someone actually deducted marks for this you should have gone to town on them.

ferdi wrote: »
    :confused:
    I've always done this, never a problem and I dont see why there would be. It is totally legitimate to include any reading you did in the bibliography if the ideas held within contributed to the finished essay, even if you didnt quote it directly or footnote. If someone actually deducted marks for this you should have gone to town on them.

Yeah. I was told by a tutor that you could put books in a bibliography without having referenced them in the text. It would be ridiculous if you couldn't, there's been plenty of times I've spent a hour or so going through a book without being able to use anything from it in the essay. I'll still through it in the bibliography, because I've spent the time reading it.

So Brimmy, did they actually say you couldn't or are you assuming that is why you got marked down. I was told to include anything you've read in case you took someone's idea without realising it. What tutor did you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Tom65 wrote: »
    Yeah. I was told by a tutor that you could put books in a bibliography without having referenced them in the text. It would be ridiculous if you couldn't, there's been plenty of times I've spent a hour or so going through a book without being able to use anything from it in the essay. I'll still through it in the bibliography, because I've spent the time reading it.

we were always told to include at least one direct reference to it or we couldn't use it and get marked down a point. It was always expected to do backround reading to get the jist of it. if your tutor doesn't mind, thats cool. not all of them do though.

we were always told to include at least one direct reference to it or we couldn't use it and get marked down a point. It was always expected to do backround reading to get the jist of it. if your tutor doesn't mind, thats cool. not all of them do though.

Yeah, maybe it varies from tutor to tutor. It was a tutor last year who told me that. So maybe I'm buggered for this year :p

spaceman1 wrote: »
    So Brimmy, did they actually say you couldn't or are you assuming that is why you got marked down.

It was one of the tutors for the Revolution module in the first semester of first year. She reprimanded me saying I can't include anything I don't make reference too directly or indirectly in the essay, only anything that can be contributed to my actual theory could be included. Even though I had read the books and they were complete muck on the subject matter.

Although she was a bit of a joke of a tutor who never knew what she was talking about so who knows :confused:

You should probably get all your assignments rechecked, just in case the tutors are out to get you for some reason.

Hpoefully you will all be at the Irish history class this morning. I have a classics essay to hand in so I'll be there, in fact I am outside theatre L as we speak.

Irish is finished, no? :confused: no? :(

• Advertisement

:confused::(:mad::o:p:):rolleyes:;):D:pac:
    Irish is finished, no? :confused: no? :(

Ah well, I only came in to avoid superfines. That sucks, wasted good money on bus and luas fare to avoid punitive sanctions. Something sucks, oh yeah being in a lecture theatre on your own to a class that does not exist.:eek::cool:

Advertisement