Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

'A History of the American People' by Paul Johnson is the one I'm using. tis pretty good. I bought it at the start of the year.

Topics... Dunno what to expect for the second part of the course! But for Maurice Bric I'd make sure you've got an essay ready about 'compromise', ie. the constitution, slavery, and so on. He really pushed that point constantly, and there's also a question on it in the past paper. I'm also gonna have one ready about slavery specifically -- the refusal to deal with the issue, push it under the carpet, etc. Probs John Marshall as well.

Thankfully I've got 4 free days before US, and it's my last exam, so I'll be able to neglect it until then, and then, CRAM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

For Land, Religion, Identity - do you people think it'll be enough to just study one week from the second part of the course, ie "Structures of Government, The Peoples of Ireland, The Flight of the Earls & The Plantation of Ulster" from week 7? As far as I can see, there's 5 weeks of topics, one question on each, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Depends on how much detail you plan to go into on the topic...

Oh, and whether or not the question comes up in a nice way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Tom65 wrote: »
    For Land, Religion, Identity - do you people think it'll be enough to just study one week from the second part of the course, ie "Structures of Government, The Peoples of Ireland, The Flight of the Earls & The Plantation of Ulster" from week 7? As far as I can see, there's 5 weeks of topics, one question on each, right?

Is this reflected in the past paper from last year Tom?

Is this reflected in the past paper from last year Tom?

In last summer's exam there was 6 topics. The first five topics were:
    1. Surrender and Regrant [from the first session]
    2. Sussex & Sidney [second session]
    3. Desmond lordship [third session]
    4. Hugh O'Neill and Nine Years War [fourth session]
    5. Reformation [fifth session]
    The last question is a general one on the Catholic Church

The second part went:
    7. Ulster Plantation [7th week]
    8. Thomas Wentworth [8th week]
    9. 1641 Rebellion [9th week]
    10. Confederation of Kilkenny [9th week]
    11. Cromwellian Ireland [9th week...maybe some 10th as well?]
    12. 'Land question' [10th week]

So in the first part of the course it definitely seems to go that way. I'm planning on covering S&R and St Leger to Sidney for the first part (maybe a little Reformation). For second part I'm doing Flight of the Earls/Ulster Plantation but after that I haven't a clue. I think I'm cover James II.

• Advertisement

Tom65 wrote: »
    In last summer's exam there was 6 topics. The first five topics were:
    1. Surrender and Regrant [from the first session]
    2. Sussex & Sidney [second session]
    3. Desmond lordship [third session]
    4. Hugh O'Neill and Nine Years War [fourth session]
    5. Reformation [fifth session]
    The last question is a general one on the Catholic Church

The second part went:
    7. Ulster Plantation [7th week]
    8. Thomas Wentworth [8th week]
    9. 1641 Rebellion [9th week]
    10. Confederation of Kilkenny [9th week]
    11. Cromwellian Ireland [9th week...maybe some 10th as well?]
    12. 'Land question' [10th week]

So in the first part of the course it definitely seems to go that way. I'm planning on covering S&R and St Leger to Sidney for the first part (maybe a little Reformation). For second part I'm doing Flight of the Earls/Ulster Plantation but after that I haven't a clue. I think I'm cover James II.

yeh i see what you mean - Im covering S&R incl.St.Leger, a bit of Hugh oneill and the nine years war and Flight of the earls/ulster plantation. Id say thats even one topic too much but safety first i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dont forget though that Ivar McGrath didnt teach this module last year. The christmas paper is the one to look at i would say

Dont forget though that Ivar McGrath didnt teach this module last year. The christmas paper is the one to look at i would say

Oh really? I didn't know that. The Christmas paper is the same kind of thing, except there's 5 questions in each section.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

For me its surrender and regrant with reformation in section one, and the Plantations with a hint of 1641 rebellion on the side for sect 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

So did anyone find anything usable online for the Land, Religion, Identity exam? Ah?

It's probably about time I decided what I'm doing. Definitely doing Surrender + Regrant which includes a bit of St. Leger and a bit of Sussex and Sidney. Hope he doesn't leave it off because it was an essay topic. Don't have a clue what to do for the second bit really. Maybe Poyning's Law era...hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

If you look on Blackboard it gives a past paper that is apparently closest to the exam.

The second part covers the Plantation in early Seventeenth Century Ireland, Poyning's law and its effect on parliament and government from 1613-41, formation and activities of the Confederation of Kilkenny and why it collapsed, the 1661-1666 Irish parliament and causes, events and impact of the Irish war 1689-1691.

ianthefox wrote: »
    So did anyone find anything usable online for the Land, Religion, Identity exam? Ah?

It's probably about time I decided what I'm doing. Definitely doing Surrender + Regrant which includes a bit of St. Leger and a bit of Sussex and Sidney. Hope he doesn't leave it off because it was an essay topic. Don't have a clue what to do for the second bit really. Maybe Poyning's Law era...hmm.

I'm hoping that he can't leave it off because it covers 3 out of 10 lectures we had, so it'll be there in some guise. If not, I'm ****ed.

I really hoping James I/Glorious Revolution/Williamite War comes up. The question that was on the Christmas exam would be perfect.

dont worry everyone, id say the exact same topics will come up from the past paper from last year.

Think about how many history modules we have had so far in ucd. Id say ive done 6 or 7 - can anybody actually remember being suprised in an exam?

I certainly cant - getting by on 2-3 topics (two of which were your essays) is religion in the history dept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Can you repeat your essay material in the exam?

I wasn't at the tutorials so I'm not sure, I'm assuming not though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

You can definitely use it. The question won't come exactly the same or anything so you'll just have to adapt it or whatever.

dont worry everyone, id say the exact same topics will come up from the past paper from last year.

Think about how many history modules we have had so far in ucd. Id say ive done 6 or 7 - can anybody actually remember being suprised in an exam?

I certainly cant - getting by on 2-3 topics (two of which were your essays) is religion in the history dept!

I hope you're right. I know a couple of topics for each section, but I've realised that outside of those, I know very little. 3 hours before the exam is a bad time to realise that :p:eek:
    ianthefox wrote: »
    You can definitely use it. The question won't come exactly the same or anything so you'll just have to adapt it or whatever.

Yeah, that's what my tutor said.

Though I did the Ulster Plantation essay which was "assess the cause, implementation and consequences of the Ulster Plantation". I can't really imagine what else they could ask about seen as that covers all the basis. Unless there's a question about both the flight of the Earls and Plantation or something like that.

tough enough questions for leger and the plantation based one in the second section... eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

tough enough questions for leger and the plantation based one in the second section... eek.

I didnt like the phrasing of the exam especially the Leger question.

I didnt like the phrasing of the exam especially the Leger question.

Really? I thought the Leger question was alright. Ivor McGrath's question were really tough. I did the Catholic Revolution question - there was a whole question on it even though that was a fairly small part of that particular lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The exam was a load of w4nk, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

was the catholic revolution one about james II?

i hope so because thats what i did and how catholics were during his reign.

if its not im totally ****ed!

was the catholic revolution one about james II?

i hope so because thats what i did and how catholics were during his reign.

if its not im totally ****ed!

Yeah, it was about his 'Catholicisation'. I waffled a fierce amount on that question.

About tomorrow's Italian history exam. I'm only covering two topics (origins of fascism and post war society/economic miracle). What are other people doing? I know he read out the topics in class, but I'd be worried about not having a back up topic.

Anybody got an exam at 9AM tomorrow? Oh and tomorow is fecking Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

I actually managed to do all right in that land, religion, identity. can't believe it. chose my topics and studied them all, then spent the day listening people predicting that everything other than what i had studied would come up. when the supervisor handed me that exam, in my mind i was just thinking, "if i could right now, i would make love to the nine years war and the kilkenny confedorate." pretty sure that would quite a distracting sight in the examhall though. more or less distracting than the pigeon flying around i wonder?... yeah, Italian history tomorrow at 9am. that is not a good cramming time. doing futurists, facist culture and trying for some general back up knowledge on giolitti. thinking of throwing in the blanket tonight and getting up at 6. coffee coffee coffee.....

ps. apparently this afternoon was the largest single sitting of ucd students being examined at once... 3000 students. :eek:

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    I actually managed to do all right in that land, religion, identity. can't believe it. chose my topics and studied them all, then spent the day listening people predicting that everything other than what i had studied would come up. when the supervisor handed me that exam, in my mind i was just thinking, "if i could right now, i would make love to the nine years war and the kilkenny confedorate." pretty sure that would quite a distracting sight in the examhall though. more or less distracting than the pigeon flying around i wonder?... yeah, Italian history tomorrow at 9am. that is not a good cramming time. doing futurists, facist culture and trying for some general back up knowledge on giolitti. thinking of throwing in the blanket tonight and getting up at 6. coffee coffee coffee.....

ps. apparently this afternoon was the largest single sitting of ucd students being examined at once... 3000 students. :eek:

If you were at the back of the hall you would have heard something more distracting than a pigeon. A car just outside one of the back exits continuously revved its engine for most of the exam. I was cosidering walking out just to kick the sh1t out of the driver moron guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

If you were at the back of the hall you would have heard something more distracting than a pigeon. A car just outside one of the back exits continuously revved its engine for most of the exam. I was cosidering walking out just to kick the sh1t out of the driver moron guy.

You poor thing! that kind of thing would have had me going fcking mad too. i had a great laugh in the middle of it when some girl came back from the toilets and realised she had no idea where she was meant to be sitting! she had to get a supervisor to find her seat which turned out to be two away from where their panicked whispered debate was taking place. i know it was mean but watching her having to mouth "i don't know where i am" to the super brought a rather evil grin to my face

Lizziepoos wrote: »

God thats crazy - I had an exam clash so i was in quinn by myself :-( - one of the lecturers called into see me though! thought that was quite funny.

But 2 exams in 5 hours isn't...

Got a 6 euro voucher for the restaurant as compensation though!

1000th post.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Thought it was alright, the wording on the second section was rough. The guy who danced up the aisle was hilarious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I was at the back and didn't hear this but I was off by about 10 seats so yeah. Saw the bird as well and got distracted for the first ten minutes of the exam by it then managed to cram everything out.

Did the Leger/Sussex/Sidney question, glad I crammed Sussex and Sidney last night and this morning though so it was still fresh and I could actually balance the question.

Did the land question on the second part which was a complete farce of a question but oh well, half of the answer consisted of waffling and generilization but what can you do.

3rd Reich tomorrow, time to whip out the old secondary school book and Band of Brothers dvds..

Advertisement