Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

1000th post.

icon_clap.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gif

no better place to do it either!

Brimmy wrote: »
    I was at the back and didn't hear this but I was off by about 10 seats so yeah. Saw the bird as well and got distracted for the first ten minutes of the exam by it then managed to cram everything out.

Did the Leger/Sussex/Sidney question, glad I crammed Sussex and Sidney last night and this morning though so it was still fresh and I could actually balance the question.

Did the land question on the second part which was a complete farce of a question but oh well, half of the answer consisted of waffling and generilization but what can you do.

3rd Reich tomorrow, time to whip out the old secondary school book and Band of Brothers dvds..

... and the bibles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Thought it was alright, the wording on the second section was rough. The guy who danced up the aisle was hilarious though.

Yeah, that was bizarre! Everyone was looking around with a completely puzzled look. I think all invigilators should be made to dance. And give out the answers. To me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

3rd Reich tomorrow, time to whip out the old secondary school book and Band of Brothers dvds..

I hear ya :D Hoping I can get by on common sense for this one, cos I did f*ck all study lol. Got home at 6.30 (after being out since 7 :mad: ), ate dinner, went asleep for an hour, then went to my brother's to help him with manual crap. Now I'm home and gonna have a look at the website someone posted earlier :D Also have a book from the library that has a load of sample essays in it.... nice... Think I'll stay up til 2 or 3 studying/cramming. As long as I have enough energy to get through the exam that's fine, cos I'll be sleeping for the rest of the day :p

The Irish exam went okay for me today... I had studied pretty much nothing but S&R and the Plantations. When I first read the paper I was gutted cos didn't think either came up, but after reading it a few times I realised that both were there, but the questions are a bit more specific. I was able to waffle on anyways!

Should be enough to pass please fook...

edit:

That dancing invigilator was f*cking wierd...

god... the holocaust is depressing to study

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Think I'll stay up til 2 or 3 studying/cramming. As long as I have enough energy to get through the exam that's fine, cos I'll be sleeping for the rest of the day :p

I was thinking of doing that, but I know if I did I'd sleep in tomorrow, and wake up at around 2pm. And I'd like to think I'd do slightly better by going to the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

god... the holocaust is depressing to study

I haven't even started studying yet, and yes I am aware the exam is in less than 10 hours.

Oh **** the exam is in less than ten hours! :eek:

Think I'll start studyin at 12... I'm watching A Bronx Tale now (Channel 6!)
    Tom65 wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing that, but I know if I did I'd sleep in tomorrow, and wake up at around 2pm. And I'd like to think I'd do slightly better by going to the exam.

I'll be setting 3 alarms, hopefully that's enough!!!

Think I'll start studyin at 12... I'm watching A Bronx Tale now (Channel 6!)

I'm really glad I only found that out now, rather than when it started. I've at least wikipedied Italian history. And googled it too.

I haven't even started studying yet, and yes I am aware the exam is in less than 10 hours.

Oh **** the exam is in less than ten hours! :eek:

****, i normally like to get 10 hours sleep under my belt!

studying, sleep, commuting, cramming in morning, breakfast - how am i meant to do all that in 10 hours!!!

• Advertisement

****, i normally like to get 10 hours sleep under my belt!

studying, sleep, commuting, cramming in morning, breakfast - how am i meant to do all that in 10 hours!!!

I actually sleep for at least 14... I'm already in it for the long haul.

And for me commuting is an hour and a half power nap when my body shuts down to cramming overload!

Btw with the exam topics he handed out in the seminar will each topic come up, guaranteed. Because if it is triumph of the will (riefenstahl) is looking REALLY tempting.

I actually sleep for at least 14... I'm already in it for the long haul.

And for me commuting is an hour and a half power nap when my body shuts down to cramming overload!

Btw with the exam topics he handed out in the seminar will each topic come up, guaranteed. Because if it is triumph of the will (riefenstahl) is looking REALLY tempting.

I wouldnt if your only covering two topics - the Weimar rubbish and the holocaust have a much wider scope.

can we get a mod to shut this thread down until tomorrow at 11 so we can get some work done! :D

it just dawned on me that after these exams, '2nd History' will be redundant! I feel we should carry it under the same name into next year as a symbolic measure of its achievments.

I wouldnt if your only covering two topics - the Weimar rubbish and the holocaust have a much wider scope.

Weimar bores me and both of them can be waffled through as is without any work now. I actually like the propaganda aspect. But I suppose play it safe ;)
    it just dawned on me that after these exams, '2nd History' will be redundant! I feel we should carry it under the same name into next year as a symbolic measure of its achievments.

Seeing as I created this thread I am in full support, however it'll just get the ACTUAL 2nd history students from next year screwing up our thread :mad:

gawwwd, those feckin second years! :mad: :D

Anybody had a peek at the 3rd year modules? I'm curious bout what the choices are... good excuse for further procrastinating! :D I'll report back shortly

Seeing as I created this thread I am in full support, however it'll just get the ACTUAL 2nd history students from next year screwing up our thread :mad:

can mods rename threads? That could be an option - We dont want youngins hijacking our thread next year and claiming all the credit!!!

Dave!!!! Its 4 past midnight, you should be studying! not researching what you'll be cramming for this time next year ;):D

Core
    HIS30010 20C War and Peace: International history, 1914-1991 1 5
    HIS30330 Twentieth Century Ireland: North & South 2 5

Option
    HIS30040 Scripts, Scribes and Scholars 1 5
    HIS30050 The Discovery of the Individual: Biography and Autobiography in the Middle Ages 1 5
    HIS30070 The French Revolution 1787-1799 1 5
    HIS30170 Doing History 1 5
    HIS30300 Sport and Modern Society Britain and Ireland, 1801-1939 1 5
    HIS30320 Science Fiction & American History 1 5
    HIS30350 Aspects of the History of Early Modern Europe 1 5
    HIS30360 From Wentworth to Cromwell: Ireland and the Crisis of the Stuart Monarchy 1 5
    HIS30380 Aspects of Modern Irish History 1 5
    HIS30420 Migration & Globalism: The Case of the Irish 1 5
    HIS30500 Society and Culture under the Tsars 1760-1917 1 5
    HIS30030 The Crusades 2 5
    HIS30190 Sexuality and Society in Early Medieval Ireland 2 5
    HIS30200 Crime, Punishment and Violence 1500-1800 2 5
    HIS30230 US Civil War 2 5
    HIS30240 19th Century Paris: Politics and Culture 2 5
    HIS30280 Religion and Society in Independent Ireland, 1922-68 2 5
    HIS30390 US Foreign Relations: 1945 - present 2 5
    HIS30400 Madness and Civilisation 2 5
    HIS30410 Aspects of Irish Historiography 2 5
    HIS30470 Apocalypse Then: The Disastrous Fourteenth Century 2 5
    HIS30510 America in the Twenty-First Century: Politics and Popular Culture since the end of the Cold War 2 5

Huh, not many look too inviting really... just a handful
    Dave!!!! Its 4 past midnight, you should be studying! not researching what you'll be cramming for this time next year ;):D

Shut up! :D I didn't ask to be born!!!

I'm also looking at tattoos cos I'm hoping to get inked this summer :o Oh lordy what am I doing in a university......!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I'm starting to think I was over confident in studying two and a half questions for German history... Oh well, hopefully leaving cert history will come to the rescue in case of emergency.

Edward James offers a module next year that's called something along the lines of "Science Fiction in America".

Oh hell yes am I picking that.

And they can rename it, though with us posting here and the exam only hours away they're probably not going to have too at this rate..

Core
    HIS30010 20C War and Peace: International history, 1914-1991 1 5
    HIS30330 Twentieth Century Ireland: North & South 2 5

Option
    HIS30040 Scripts, Scribes and Scholars 1 5
    HIS30050 The Discovery of the Individual: Biography and Autobiography in the Middle Ages 1 5
    HIS30070 The French Revolution 1787-1799 1 5
    HIS30170 Doing History 1 5
    HIS30300 Sport and Modern Society Britain and Ireland, 1801-1939 1 5
    HIS30320 Science Fiction & American History 1 5
    HIS30350 Aspects of the History of Early Modern Europe 1 5
    HIS30360 From Wentworth to Cromwell: Ireland and the Crisis of the Stuart Monarchy 1 5
    HIS30380 Aspects of Modern Irish History 1 5
    HIS30420 Migration & Globalism: The Case of the Irish 1 5
    HIS30500 Society and Culture under the Tsars 1760-1917 1 5
    HIS30030 The Crusades 2 5
    HIS30190 Sexuality and Society in Early Medieval Ireland 2 5
    HIS30200 Crime, Punishment and Violence 1500-1800 2 5
    HIS30230 US Civil War 2 5
    HIS30240 19th Century Paris: Politics and Culture 2 5
    HIS30280 Religion and Society in Independent Ireland, 1922-68 2 5
    HIS30390 US Foreign Relations: 1945 - present 2 5
    HIS30400 Madness and Civilisation 2 5
    HIS30410 Aspects of Irish Historiography 2 5
    HIS30470 Apocalypse Then: The Disastrous Fourteenth Century 2 5
    HIS30510 America in the Twenty-First Century: Politics and Popular Culture since the end of the Cold War 2 5

Huh, not many look too inviting really... just a handful

Shut up! :D I didn't ask to be born!!!

I'm also looking at tattoos cos I'm hoping to get inked this summer :o Oh lordy what am I doing in a university......!!!

Get a massive '2nd History' tattoo from one side of your back to the other. ;)

If its anything like this year you probably wont be able to do all those american modules unfortunately!

Didnt we do the foreign relations past '45 this year??

• Advertisement

Didnt we do the foreign relations past '45 this year??

I didn't! I think it was an option though yeah.

Just checked and David Doyle (2nd lecturer from US History) does the US Civil War module, so that's a no go! :D

I didn't! I think it was an option though yeah.

Just checked and David Doyle (2nd lecturer from US History) does the US Civil War module, so that's a no go! :D

i did it - the lecturer is a king . Bob brigham or something.. total lidgend

i did it - the lecturer is a king . Bob brigham or something.. total lidgend

Brigham was a hero. Hands down best lecturer I've had so far in any module and was just an amazingly savage guy.

Just a shame he was only here for a year :(

Shame I didn't do the module :D Sounds like a top, top lecturer!

Brigham was a hero. Hands down best lecturer I've had so far in any module and was just an amazingly savage guy.

hes going?! ah testicles :(

bedtime i feel - good luck with the rest of the nights work gents! dont sleep it in!

hes going?! ah testicles :(

Yeah he was only teaching two modules I think on the Marywhatsitscholarship, then again that class may have been his only one. Was over while he was writing a new book.

Guy is a hero though and recommended a book to me by his friend who was arrested and imprison for not going to Nam and the volunteered in a hospital there. Except its amazingly hard to get and had to order it from Amazon.ca to my aunt in Canada and I'm still waiting on her to send it on to me six months later :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

<Mod Hat>

I'd be happy to rename the thread for ye lads, since you've put toegether a fantastic feeling of community in here.

Oh, and still want me to lock the thread till tomorrow morning? I warn you, I'll probably only be getting up around 12 myself =D
    </Mod Hat>

Ahh sure I'm heading to bed now anyways, surely the conversation will peter out shortly after :p I brings the fun.

I'd be in favour of the thread being closed after the exams and starting a new one for 3rd year, but whatever :)

G'luck tomorrow chaps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

:( i had him this semester for us foreign policy, best lecturer ever!

also i recommend doing sports history (Britain and Ireland), easiest module i've done in a long time, lecturer is deadly, plus two essays and no exam.

Advertisement