Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Gerwarth ist der Lecturer!
    Lecturer ist die Department!
    Gerwarth ist die UCD!

Quoting this because it needs to be quoted... twice.
    Gerwarth ist der Lecturer!
    Lecturer ist die Department!
    Gerwarth ist die UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So what are ye looking at for US History?

I'm studying John Marshall at the moment... Gonna read up on 'compromise', including the constitution.

What else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

DaveMcG wrote: »
    So what are ye looking at for US History?

I'm studying John Marshall at the moment... Gonna read up on 'compromise', including the constitution.

What else?

In a similar position as yourself, although its only an elective. Looking at the compromise yoke and also a question solely on slavery. Totally fcuked for the first part any suggestions?

Incidently Dave do you still have that History of the American People Book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rubyroo

Getting a wee bit freaked out about US now...why did I leave it until now to teach myself the entire course?? I wish I had gone to more lectures :(

Would it be a tad niave of me to turn to wikipedia in an attempt to source some info on the constitution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Would it be a tad niave of me to turn to wikipedia in an attempt to source some info on the constitution?

god no! wikipedia is the saviour of students come exam time worldwide!

Give that man a can of coke

Give that man a can of coke

i love that guy from the coke factory - i think anyone who ever did the tour will remember him for life.

I got 7 cans, 5 for getting the challenger spacecraft question right!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Looking at the Jacksonian era, what he did, and the reform in the period in society, abolitinists, suffrage, temperance. I'm not sure if I will look at other reforming movements, I didn't go to the seminars so dunno if he emphasised more.

For part two I'm just gona cover reconstrucion and hope for a nice question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Wikipedia was immense for the Early Modern Ireland course, all the stuff on James II was referenced.

When is the US History exam? (I'm not that disorganized, I don't do that module :p)

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that's finished with history? Because all this talk of the US History makes me kind of paranoid I didn't pick enough modules... I did 3 last semester and 2 this semester.. but now I'm confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

ianthefox wrote: »
    Have you seen the department photo of Kerr by the way? He has changed a LOT.

I know! he went from looking like the typical nerdy nervous student, to looking like he's just gotten a makeover from the "queer eye for a straight guy" team. now he's ultra fashionable. note the snake skin pointy boots... very fancy. though he was looking like he's spending a bit too much time on the sunbed the other day....

2nd year history defo needs a piss up. it'll be weird to discover that we all probably sat with each other in seminars but never realised. bet your all stunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

YES, YES, YES YES and YES!!!!

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    bet your all stunners.

Well the plastic surgeon deserves most of the credit.. I just gave him a bag of cash and said "Make look like Gerwarth"

He did the best he could but no mere mortal could come close to recreating Gods image in man.

I was just thinking I won't be part of the 3rd history next year because of my Erasmus. I demand all of you tell me how your courses were in 3rd year to aid me in my choices.

I'll miss this thread...*sob*

Ahem...

Tom65 wrote: »
    I was just thinking I won't be part of the 3rd history next year because of my Erasmus. I demand all of you tell me how your courses were in 3rd year to aid me in my choices.

I'll miss this thread...*sob*

Ahem...

You can be an honorary 3rd year history student.. and by honorary I mean you can my essays for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Lizziepoos wrote: »

2nd year history defo needs a piss up. it'll be weird to discover that we all probably sat with each other in seminars but never realised. bet your all stunners.

I am:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Is u.s history the only history exam left?Or is it just that we're the most confused and are asking all the questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Flume wrote: »
    Is u.s history the only history exam left?Or is it just that we're the most confused and are asking all the questions....

I just checked my UCD connect and theres 2 emails from worried students on it, tbh I wish I had have filled out the course appraisal forms and said what a joke the second part was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

I just checked my UCD connect and theres 2 emails from worried students on it, tbh I wish I had have filled out the course appraisal forms and said what a joke the second part was

Think it was his plan all along tbh. Leave it till everyones 10 mins late for their next lecture then ask "would you..emmm...like to fil them out?". I'd say hes a nice fella and all but i thought he was a terrible lecturer.

• Advertisement

Yeah I did not learn a thing in the 3 or so of his lectures which I attended, and so I didn't bother going to the rest.

Brimmy wrote: »
    You can be an honorary 3rd year history student.. and by honorary I mean you can my essays for me :p

Whoa, really, are you sure? It'd be an honour. :D

Ehh... you get mega-props if you do mine also! :D They have to be different to Brimmy's though, sorry!

Cheers boss

god that tom fella's an awful nice chap to be taking all that extra work on in his year off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Well I've managed to do the civil war and Jackon in detail- dear god I hope they come up. Anyone still up that could suggest a backup topic? :) I'm thinking the war of 1812 maybe.

Good luck tomorrow!

I'm gonna do the civil war shortly... Have any pointers? What are the most important points?

As for a backup topic, I've covered the Supreme Court under John Marshall. Mainly just 4 cases:

* Marbury vs Madison: Establishes doctrine of judicial review
    * US vs Burr: Standards of evidence for treason; at precarious time in history, court stops ability for gvmt to abuse treason charge
    * Gibbons vs Ogden: US Congress supercedes states in all aspects of interstate commerce; strike against states and for federal gvmt
    * McCulloch vs Maryland: Constitution does not explicitly grant power to establish bank, but grants Congress implied powers through the 'necessary and proper clause'.

That's all I'm covering on that really! I've done a good bit about Andrew Jackson too.

god that tom fella's an awful nice chap to be taking all that extra work on in his year off!

Aren't I? And I certainly won't just ignore any work sent to me because I'll be in a different country :p

The US History paper had 17 questions so there was something for everyone, except the war of 1812 which did not come up. The module would not have been bad if there was an essay worth a couple of percent. It takes a lot of pressure off. Modules that are 100% exam suck.

Yeah agreed there... Was a decent oul' paper alright.

I did....

i. Andrew Jackson: Had a plan for an 'common man' kind of question, so it was basically the same. Did alright in that one I'd say.

ii. Slavery - society, economy, politics: This was a waffley one for me... I didn't have much in the way of specific information, so just kinda talked sh*te for most of it. The last question on my last paper = I did not give a sh*t really!

I reckon I coulda gotten a C, not higher than that though. Ahh well.

FINISHED :D

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah agreed there... Was a decent oul' paper alright.

I did....

i. Andrew Jackson: Had a plan for an 'common man' kind of question, so it was basically the same. Did alright in that one I'd say.

ii. Slavery - society, economy, politics: This was a waffley one for me... I didn't have much in the way of specific information, so just kinda talked sh*te for most of it. The last question on my last paper = I did not give a sh*t really!

I reckon I coulda gotten a C, not higher than that though. Ahh well.

FINISHED :D

I think everyone waffled, including myself for the part two of the course. It was a load of w4nk. I definitely wont be doing the US Civil War module in third year, it is done by Dr Doyle.

Advertisement