Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I'd say my second essay is on par with what everybody else will be able to do, all things considered! :rolleyes:

Which questions did you do, out of interest?

I also won't be doing the US Civil War module...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah agreed there... Was a decent oul' paper alright.

I did....

i. Andrew Jackson: Had a plan for an 'common man' kind of question, so it was basically the same. Did alright in that one I'd say.

ii. Slavery - society, economy, politics: This was a waffley one for me... I didn't have much in the way of specific information, so just kinda talked sh*te for most of it. The last question on my last paper = I did not give a sh*t really!

I reckon I coulda gotten a C, not higher than that though. Ahh well.

FINISHED :D

My questions and synopsis exactly!:cool:

Thought it was a fair enough paper in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I'd say my second essay is on par with what everybody else will be able to do, all things considered! :rolleyes:

Which questions did you do, out of interest?

I also won't be doing the US Civil War module...

I did the first one something about the founding fathers, I knew quite a bit about Jefferson, Adams and Hamilton, for the second part something about 1854-1861 and the Union collapsing in this timeframe.

Our friend has been honoured http://www.ucd.ie/news/2008/05MAY08/280508_knighthood.html
    Dr. Declan Downey Commendador.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Humbug to the above

Has anyone recieved wordf of the Kingship of Tara assessment returns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Our friend has been honoured http://www.ucd.ie/news/2008/05MAY08/280508_knighthood.html
    Dr. Declan Downey Commendador.

Declan Downey is a great lecture. I wholeheartedly endorse this product and/or service.

So how did ye do lads? :)

Moi:

Land, Religion, Identity: Irel B-
    Quite happy with this! Surprised too... I did okay in the exam. I wonder what I got in my essay. I never went and got the results.

US History, 1800-1877 C
    Happy with this too, considering I hadn't a clue about anything in the second part of the course! I guess it was question 1 that got me most of the marks.

3rd Reich:Germany 1918-55 C+
    Would prefer if this was a B! My first essay was mega-awesome :D The second was a bit waffley really.

Happy overall!

Land, Religion, Identity: B-
    I usually do worst in pre-1800s history, so I'm really pleased with this. I got a B- in both essays, and in the exam. Steady effort throughout :p

Italian history: B-
    Bit disappointed. It was the only exam I came out of thinking I did quite well in. I was hoping for a B+/A-.

Irish Elections: A-
    I knew my grade in this going in. The reason I like essays instead of exams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just looking at the options for 2nd History for next year, it seems the 3rd Reich in context course is not being offered this time :(

It seems my core history modules for next year are:

HIS30620 Culture and Society in Inter-war Europe
    HIS30020 The Vikings
    HIS30150 The Irish Experience
    HIS30520 Asia & Australia

And only 1 (Asia & Australia -- with Declan Downey by the way!) has an exam for assessment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

pithater1 wrote: »
    Just looking at the options for 2nd History for next year, it seems the 3rd Reich in context course is not being offered this time :(

What?? Where ya get this? I saw some a bit back and it was there alright.

EDIT: May some 2nd Year history students please tell me how do we choose our subjects? I'm doing 25 credits in it next year, I know I'll have 2 core modules, 1 per semester, so thats 10 credits. There are then 4 options with 3 modules in each, do I just pick any three modules, depending on how many credits I want to do in a semester?

Mushy wrote: »
    What?? Where ya get this? I saw some a bit back and it was there alright.

EDIT: May some 2nd Year history students please tell me how do we choose our subjects? I'm doing 25 credits in it next year, I know I'll have 2 core modules, 1 per semester, so thats 10 credits. There are then 4 options with 3 modules in each, do I just pick any three modules, depending on how many credits I want to do in a semester?

Its still up on the History website but under the Modules for 08/09 section on the main site it is nowhere to be seen. That Rennaissance course is also gone though and most of the options have no exam componant.

I'm in the same boat myself. Damn I was looking forward to that 3rd Reich module :mad:
    I think you can only choose one module from each of the 4 options as they're all on at the same time.

Its still up on the History website but under the Modules for 08/09 section on the main site it is nowhere to be seen. That Rennaissance course is also gone though and most of the options have no exam componant.

I'm in the same boat myself. Damn I was looking forward to that 3rd Reich module :mad:
    I think you can only choose one module from each of the 4 options as they're all on at the same time.

Ah, must look at that other section more closely then. I wanted to do 3rd REich, prob would have been my better module asswell!

Yeah, I'll be picking from 3 of the 4 sections, cos only need 15 creds in total.

EDIT: Where ya find the 08/09 modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

id love to be able to tell you all what i got in my history exams but the ***** aren't giving me my results! repeat fees appear to be the problem.. ****

Ah, must look at that other section more closely then. I wanted to do 3rd REich, prob would have been my better module asswell!

Yeah, I'll be picking from 3 of the 4 sections, cos only need 15 creds in total.

EDIT: Where ya find the 08/09 modules?

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

Cheers! They have like 4 core modules a semester! How is that going to work?

Cheers! They have like 4 core modules a semester! How is that going to work?

For the 25 credit option I think there's 2 per semester. Personally I'd prefer to have no core modules.

Edit: It seems we're getting a 10% grading on attendance too.

For the 25 credit option I think there's 2 per semester. Personally I'd prefer to have no core modules.

Edit: It seems we're getting a 10% grading on attendance too.

Ah I found out where I got lost...I went into course code DN052, which is history as a major from 1st year. I'm doing it through Arts, found it there and its broken down much easier for me. So thats that sorted.

What are the chances of us not having any 9am lectures in 3rd year? :(

BTW, shall we have a new thread and leave this one to the incoming 2nd years? It appears that some have infiltrated already ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I can rename it if you like, just tell me what you want the new thread title to be.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »

BTW, shall we have a new thread and leave this one to the incoming 2nd years? It appears that some have infiltrated already ;)

I remember looking this up and (I could be wrong) but I think one of the core options is 9am on a Monday. Because the UCD hates history students.

Raphael wrote: »
    I can rename it if you like, just tell me what you want the new thread title to be.

I'd prefer a fresh thread to start anew :D But whatever the others want!
    Tom65 wrote: »
    I remember looking this up and (I could be wrong) but I think one of the core options is 9am on a Monday. Because the UCD hates history students.

Boo-urns... I managed to make it to about 90% of the 9am lectures last semester -- but I fell asleep in about 50% of them, so what was the point? :(

Raphael wrote: »

Is "3rd History" a bit too boring?
    Boo-urns... I managed to make it to about 90% of the 9am lectures last semester -- but I fell asleep in about 50% of them, so what was the point? :(

Yeah, I think that 9am lectures do genuinely have an affect on your grades. I had 4 9am starts last year. UCD should try and work it so they're spread out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

My results:

Land, Religion, Identity: Irel A-
    Delighted with this. I hate Irish history but escaped with a good grade.

US History, 1800-1877 B
    Happy with this aswell.Especially considering the second part of the course was so bad.

3rd Reich:Germany 1918-55 B
    Bit dissapointed tbh.I didnt deserve any better but i loved the subject so hoped to scrape higher but what can you do.

Faily happy overall.

Onwards and upwards.Think its time to rename the thread, or start a fresh one.

Damn straight! Your time is up, move along now :P :D

C+ Italian History
    C+ Land Religion and Identity
    B- US History
    Solid and unspectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

we discussed this around exam time - we're defo keeping this thread and renaming it 3rd history!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

The list of modules for third year this time round sucks. Can't believe there's no Gough or Kerr :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

ianthefox wrote: »
    no Gough

You sir, are a liar.

(I hope)

• Advertisement

ianthefox wrote: »
    The list of modules for third year this time round sucks. Can't believe there's no Gough or Kerr :(
    There is a Gough one

Advertisement