Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Dave! wrote: »
    There is a Gough one

I'm fairly certain there's one with Kerr as well. It's on Paris or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

There is a Gough one

You sir, are a king upon men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tom65 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain there's one with Kerr as well. It's on Paris or something...
    Boom

Who's David Kerr btw? :confused:

Anyone got ideas for electives also?
    I'll probs do a politics one or 2... genocide, Middle east, or EU

Boom

Who's David Kerr btw? :confused:

David Kerr did the Italian history module last semester. He being one half of the "Italian-German history lecturer" feud :p

Also, Dave, is your avatar a pic of Vidic?

David Kerr did the Italian history module last semester. He being one half of the "Italian-German history lecturer" feud :p

Ich liebe der Gerwath!

It looks like Edward James' Sci Fi in America module has been removed :(

• Advertisement

Also, Dave, is your avatar a pic of Vidic?
    Ah I see, I have to lay my eyes on this alledged dreamboat :p

Yeppers tis Vida after the Champions League final :D

Ah man they renamed the thread and I had a great idea for a new thread title :(

All hail 3rd History...not that I'll be in it...
    Brimmy wrote: »

Ooh, do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

There is a Gough one

Aw, you legend. I was just looking at the program list and not the module list! I've just gone from dreading the year to looking forward to it. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

good work mod...

• Advertisement

double post... delete me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am looking forward to the French Revolution next year and the Crusades one too.

Meh.... much as I love Hugh Gough, I wasn't too keen on the subject at the time :(

Having said that, there's f*ck all good modules really!

Are the rest of ye doing 25 credits / 5 modules in history next year? And 4 of them are core?!?!? :mad: It wrecks my head!!! I'm not sure what's so critical about Asia/Australia that they make it a core subject..... and the core ones seem to change every year, too (check the core ones for 2nd year next year)! So there is apparantly no/a fluctuating educational necessity to learn particular subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Brimmy wrote: »
    Do share, no limit on changing it.

Meh.... much as I love Hugh Gough, I wasn't too keen on the subject at the time :(

Having said that, there's f*ck all good modules really!

Are the rest of ye doing 25 credits / 5 modules in history next year? And 4 of them are core?!?!? :mad: It wrecks my head!!! I'm not sure what's so critical about Asia/Australia that they make it a core subject..... and the core ones seem to change every year, too (check the core ones for 2nd year next year)! So there is apparantly no/a fluctuating educational necessity to learn particular subjects.
    There are only two core subjects for history. The website says four but that is for mode 1, which is single honours history. Next years core subjects are 20th century war and peace with the head of the department (the guy from the telly) Richard Aldous and the semester 2 core subject is Ireland north and south.

Ah I see! Cheers

I'm really not keen on alot of the option modules tbh

At the moment I'm thinking: Australian history, Culture & Revolution under Lenin and Stalin (though I think I had this lecturer in 1st year, and she sucked), and maybe the French Revolution!

edit:

Actually did you get that info from here
    http://www.ucd.ie/history/level_three_2007.htm

Cos that's last year's! If it's the same, however, then we can do Science Fiction and American History ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

Im a graduate of History finished last year,just passing through, I looked at the courses for third history, Paul Rouses course on sport is amazing for anyone who has a remote interest in sport and I would highly recommend it along with Susannah Riordans course on religion in ireland in 20th century.

Im a graduate of History finished last year,just passing through, I looked at the courses for third history, Paul Rouses course on sport is amazing for anyone who has a remote interest in sport and I would highly recommend it along with Susannah Riordans course on religion in ireland in 20th century.

Cheers, input from graduates on what we will face is much appreciated.

There are only two core subjects for history. The website says four but that is for mode 1, which is single honours history. Next years core subjects are 20th century war and peace with the head of the department (the guy from the telly) Richard Aldous and the semester 2 core subject is Ireland north and south.

That'll be the 3rd Irish history module I've done, along with Leaving Cert history. Really, at this stage, I think I know it.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Do any of the future 3rd history people here do history as a joint major? I will be, along with sociology, and just want to know about the core options. When I look at them, it gives 4 core modules(Islam/Christianity, War/Peace, America & Ireland/Europe), 2 in each semester. I just want to know that, as I'm doing 25 credits history, do I do all 4 core modules, which would make up 20 credits, then just pick one option between the two semesters? Simple yes/no really:D

I canthen assume it'd be the same for sociology for me, and be able to pick options according to time, and not necessarily what I'm fully interested in, which would be ok, but not maybe not fully ideal!

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Do any of the future 3rd history people here do history as a joint major? I will be, along with sociology, and just want to know about the core options. When I look at them, it gives 4 core modules(Islam/Christianity, War/Peace, America & Ireland/Europe), 2 in each semester. I just want to know that, as I'm doing 25 credits history, do I do all 4 core modules, which would make up 20 credits, then just pick one option between the two semesters? Simple yes/no really:D

I canthen assume it'd be the same for sociology for me, and be able to pick options according to time, and not necessarily what I'm fully interested in, which would be ok, but not maybe not fully ideal!
    I do it with Greek and Roman Civilisation so I do it as a joint major too.
    Look at my first post in this page:
    I hope that answers it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I do it with Greek and Roman Civilisation so I do it as a joint major too.
    Look at my first post in this page:

I hope that answers it for ya.

Ah, sorry, should have made it slightly clearer...I'm only going into 2nd Year in September. But I'm assuming its the same thing, and that means I'd only have to do 1, which would be great.

Bump, how is everyone? I am fine:).

I'm good, thanks :D

Not bad at all at all........!!!

cant complain! finally got my results today - C+'s all round in history

How come it took so long for you?

i had 400 yo-yos on my accounts which id accumalated throughout the two previous years. rents were not pleased.

emailed the fees guyos about how to pay and they literally got back to me there 3 on friday. Paid yesterday and got my results today.

Id love to be in a foreign country right now.

i had 400 yo-yos on my accounts which id accumalated throughout the two previous years. rents were not pleased.

emailed the fees guyos about how to pay and they literally got back to me there 3 on friday. Paid yesterday and got my results today.

Id love to be in a foreign country right now.

That sucks, glad it worked out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

hey fello history buffs,
    i'm probably being stupid here but it looks like there's been a couple of changes on the curriculum in both the current student guide and in the school of history website. Both say that now for 3rd year 2008-2009 the core subjects are the vikings and culture and society in inter-war europe for semester 1, and the irish experience and asia and australia for semster 2. 20c war and peace has been bumped down to 2nd year and they've entirely dumped renaissance to enlightment. someone else mind checking out this out to make sure i'm just not going crazy? (been one of those days... :rolleyes:)

Advertisement