Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    hey fello history buffs,
    i'm probably being stupid here but it looks like there's been a couple of changes on the curriculum in both the current student guide and in the school of history website. Both say that now for 3rd year 2008-2009 the core subjects are the vikings and culture and society in inter-war europe for semester 1, and the irish experience and asia and australia for semster 2. 20c war and peace has been bumped down to 2nd year and they've entirely dumped renaissance to enlightment. someone else mind checking out this out to make sure i'm just not going crazy? (been one of those days... :rolleyes:)

Thats what it says on the website. If true it means that students will have only one or two modules to choose from when it comes to options, which is absolutely ridiculous IMO. 4 core modules, are they fvcking insane or just stupid. There is the possibility this is for mode 1 (single honours history). Someone should ring them up, I am a bit lazy atm.

Thats what it says on the website. If true it means that students will have only one or two modules to choose from when it comes to options, which is absolutely ridiculous IMO. 4 core modules, are they fvcking insane or just stupid. There is the possibility this is for mode 1 (single honours history). Someone should ring them up, I am a bit lazy atm.

From my research I have found out that UCD has changed their third year programme, in fact the entire undergraduate history programme has been changed. I dont remember being consulted, the class rep is obviously fvcking useless and the department are a bunch of twats for not telling us of any changes. richard.aldous@ucd.ie
    That is the email address of the department head. This new way is absolutely ridiculous, we have no power over what we want to study just follow the system they want us to. I have heard of a lack of consultation inside UCD and people being pissed off, another case in point here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's the f*cking point in that... I thought the idea of modularisation is that you get MORE CHOICE within your degree?

4 bloody core modules....

I'd love to know the rationale behind these core modules.

What's the advantage of learning these particular modules over the others? Surely they're all of equal importance?!

It's a f*cking joke. Not a chance I'm doing a masters here

Dave! wrote: »
    What's the f*cking point in that... I thought the idea of modularisation is that you get MORE CHOICE within your degree?

4 bloody core modules....

I'd love to know the rationale behind these core modules.

What's the advantage of learning these particular modules over the others? Surely they're all of equal importance?!

It's a f*cking joke. Not a chance I'm doing a masters here

I agree 100%, it seems as if they are not encouraging independent learning and basically just churning out the same graduates in history 500 times over.

Its too late now to get it changed, but id love to know what they had in mind when they decided this... Might give the dept head an email tomorrow

edit

is it 5 modules that we do altogether per subject in a joint major? ie we'll only get 1 option module?

• Advertisement

Its too late now to get it changed, but id love to know what they had in mind when they decided this... Might give the dept head an email tomorrow

edit

is it 5 modules that we do altogether per subject in a joint major? ie we'll only get 1 option module?

Exactly Dave (re: choosing 1 subject, 2 if you take a history elective). It is completely different to last year, we only had 2 core modules. Why did they not maintain the status quo for us, what we are used to and change it for the next batch of graduates. I might give the SU a shout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is exactly what I was askin a few pages back! Wanted to see was there only 1 option, or were the core modules for single subject major. Bit annoying alright, cos I wanted to do some more options than core modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

So...they just substantially changed the content and options of our final year without telling anyone? Or even giving a hint they were planning this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

what a complete joke.

Hello all. Did anyone email the department to find out what the feck happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

I'd be surprised if this is all down to the department tbh. Talking to a few lecturers last year and it seemed as if the school was under serious pressure to cut costs. Cutting down on the number of options offered cut down on the costs.

That aside though, the modules offered this time round are very poor compared to last year both core and the limited option ones.They hardly fill you with optimism.

bumpity bump bump

Anyone decided on their one option module? :)

I'm not sure. I dont even know the options anymore cause of the course chopping and changing. Ill do something medieval probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Registration is up now, picked crime and punishment. Sounds pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Picked the US in the 21st Century with William Kennedy, looks interesting enough although I've never had nor heard of the lecturer. Anyone know if he's any use?

Might change it to French Revolution purely for Hugh Gough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Registered for america in the 21st century. Not too sure if its a first or second semester module. Every time i log in it changes position.:confused:

I went for America in the 21st C too :) I gather that'll be the most popular history option

I haven't gotten my lab times yet for Comp Sci, but at the moment my timetable is looking decent enough for Semester 1!

One 9 o'clock start, and the rest are 11am! The latest I finish (for the time being) is 4pm, whilst the rest of the days I finish at 2pm!

I shalln't be counting my chickens, but I'd be happy if that stayed roughly the same :p

BTW, you think it's bad having only 1 option module in history? Try NO option modules in Comp Sci! :mad:

BTW BTW, elective registration isn't for a few days, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

BTW BTW, elective registration isn't for a few days, correct?

Cor-rect! Starts next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

Jesus! I went for America in the 21st Century too! Looks like it's a popular course for boardsies. We'll be able to help each other out so. Maybe a couple of study (drinking) seshes on the way.

next monday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

next monday?
    Next Tuesday you register for electives - Arts that is.

I picked the Italian City States.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    Jesus! I went for America in the 21st Century too! Looks like it's a popular course for boardsies. We'll be able to help each other out so. Maybe a couple of study (drinking) seshes on the way.

Yup, I went for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

I choose Sexuality and Society, it looks pretty interesting. I dont know what the logic was having that many classes to choose from and you can only choose one for the whole year! :mad: The lecturer for Asia and Australia is really good by the way, I did China,Japan and Korea last year and he was brilliant, but a bit odd! But it looks like Ill probably be doing the same stuff as last year with the added fun of Australia.

so we can only pick one elective in history?

how is everything bloody full already!!! arghh - it wont even let me select one of my core history options! what a joke

Hopefully you get it all sorted Simon, and welcome back to all. Were you all being Vikings this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Hopefully you get it all sorted Simon, and welcome back to all. Were you all being Vikings this morning?
    myfairviking.jpg

Nope, what do you mean?

I sure was ;)

theblueviking.jpg

• Advertisement

(600th post...I think)

What kind of schedule do 3rd history-ers have this year? I'd like a head's up for next year...

Advertisement