Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

It's not really different compared to second year. The only difference for me was that I only got to choose one option module. The other four modules are core.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tom65 wrote: »
    (600th post...I think)

What kind of schedule do 3rd history-ers have this year? I'd like a head's up for next year...

I thought it would be sh1t but I now think it will be pretty cool. I like the way it is 10% for turning up to the seminar. The History Society seems pretty active too.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

9.00 AMs on mon and wed mandatory (tuesday student IMC cinema friendly!), with seminars, with limited options. Hope you are having a good time in sweden tom, see you in a few months!

Weird, I haven't got a 9am on Wed. Something must be wrong with my timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I don't have a 9am on Wednesday either.

And I missed the 9am for Vikings today :( Anyone want to fill me in on what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brimmy wrote: »
    I don't have a 9am on Wednesday either.

And I missed the 9am for Vikings today :( Anyone want to fill me in on what happened?

+1

I had to correct my timetable and missed it. I am down for a Wednesday one at 9am however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Also does anyone know where is Culture and Society in Inter-war Europe (HIS30620) tomorrow? I know it's in the engineering building but my timetable doesn't actually say which room..

Brimmy wrote: »
    Also does anyone know where is Culture and Society in Inter-war Europe (HIS30620) tomorrow? I know it's in the engineering building but my timetable doesn't actually say which room..

Is it not in the Science building? Theatre E? That's where it is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Ha, Edward James is a ledge. My timetable is sweet, Thursdays and Fridays off.

I've got a lecture in Lib L532 on Wednesday. French Revolution. Anyone know where the lecture rooms in the Library building are??

edit: and yeah, Culture and Society is in Th.E in Science.

ianthefox wrote: »
    Anyone know where the lecture rooms in the Library building are??

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

9.00 AMs on mon and wed mandatory (tuesday student IMC cinema friendly!), with seminars, with limited options. Hope you are having a good time in sweden tom, see you in a few months!

Alright Johnny (I'm guessing here...). What's the craic? Everything is good here.

Granted, I'm not doing history here (rather political science), but I'm in 1pm-6pm two days a week. So I suppose 'taking it easy' would best describe university for me these days.

More 9am lectures though? Bah! I had 4 9am lectures last year. I'm sick of them. I'll take a letter of complaint to the politics and history departments next year. Then they'll understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've only got 1 9am start (Monday)....

what's the 9am one on Wednesday? AFAIK I'm in at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Ah apoligies, the 9 a.m wednesday would be french revolution, presumed it was one of the core courses ( seems like something UCD would do). Odd that I chose to do a 9.am... Ah well hugh gough is worth it.

Oh and this thread needs more vikings:

51IPu6moKIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

10-701711.jpg

I hope their is an english module on these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Ha, Edward James is a ledge. My timetable is sweet, Thursdays and Fridays off.

I've got a lecture in Lib L532 on Wednesday. French Revolution. Anyone know where the lecture rooms in the Library building are??

edit: and yeah, Culture and Society is in Th.E in Science.
    Tardy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm wondering about that too.
    Directions to L5**: Say you're walking up the stairs after coming from the SU shop and walking towards librocop's watchtower, (the turnstile for the library is on your right but don't go in). Look ahead to where the doors connecting to Arts/Newman building are - there are two doors in the corner (standing at the top of the stairs they should be ahead of you to the left). Go in and turn right, there will be two lifts. Take them to floor 5, come out and turn right, go through the door and look around for 532. That's where the international relations people are.

Alternative way of explaining: go over the fly-over coming from Arts to the library. When you come out of the doors turn immediately left and you'll see two doors. Go through then and take the two lifts to floor 5.

I hope that makes sense... :pac:

Yes, that makes sense, but you can get to the 5th by stairs, right? I'm afraid of lifts.

they're just as afraid of you as you are of them...

Dr. Kerr is a fantastic lecturer and the course seems as if it could be good. Italian and German history from last year will be useful.

Thanks a lot UCD_Econ.

I had no idea Kerr was lecturing that course, I thought it would be Judith for the whole thing. Deadly surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Yes, that makes sense, but you can get to the 5th by stairs, right? I'm afraid of lifts.
    Aye, I think there's a stairs. It should be opposite the lift. I've never taken the stairs though, too lazy :pac: But there should be one.
    Thanks a lot UCD_Econ.
    Welcome.

Dr. Kerr is a fantastic lecturer and the course seems as if it could be good. Italian and German history from last year will be useful.
    Indeed! (assuming that's the bloke for Inter-War Europe...)

Had my seminar today too, which was with Dr Devlin (?). She seems nice enough :) Only about 7 turned up at the class, so hopefully it stays around that level.

I had better get that reading sh*t tomorrow actually.....

Bloody tiring day today :( Was only in at 11am, so not too bad really, but only finished at 6pm. Came home, ate dinner, boom, nap-time for an hour! Thankfully not in til 12pm tomorrow

• Advertisement

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Aye, I think there's a stairs. It should be opposite the lift. I've never taken the stairs though, too lazy :pac: But there should be one.

Thanks UCD_Econ, I really should explore UCD, didn't know there was a fifth floor before this.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Bloody tiring day today :( Was only in at 11am, so not too bad really, but only finished at 6pm. Came home, ate dinner, boom, nap-time for an hour! Thankfully not in til 12pm tomorrow

You're lucky. My Monday is 9am to 5pm, plus 4 hours commuting.

Thanks UCD_Econ, I really should explore UCD, didn't know there was a fifth floor before this.
    5th and half ;)
    You're lucky. My Monday is 9am to 5pm, plus 4 hours commuting.
    Same here. Then I'm straight into work for half 5 til 11. Same with my Wednesday. Tired :( Thursdays and Fridays off makes up for it somewhat though.

Thurs AND Friday off?!?!?!? :eek: You swine!!!

Had my seminar today with Eddie James... not bad :)

Same here. Then I'm straight into work for half 5 til 11. Same with my Wednesday. Tired :( Thursdays and Fridays off makes up for it somewhat though.

I was going to say I was sorry for you... then I read the last bit... :rolleyes:

Dave! wrote: »
    Indeed! (assuming that's the bloke for Inter-War Europe...)

Oh yeah I had that class earlier in the week. He's very interesting. A guy in my seminar told me a lot of the ladies have a crush on him. I can kind of see why...not that I'm that way inclined or anything. :D

Is he the new Robert Gerwarth? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

Did Dr. Kerr say something about Dr. gerwath's book? something like it would have needed a lot of time and research but this wasn't possible. has anybody done the reading yet for seminar 2 (next week)in interwar europe. What ye think

whirlwind wrote: »
    Did Dr. Kerr say something about Dr. gerwath's book? something like it would have needed a lot of time and research but this wasn't possible. has anybody done the reading yet for seminar 2 (next week)in interwar europe. What ye think

He said he will need research assistants, it is not an uncommon practice. It is usually postgraduates that do it and they do be credited in the book. Its a good way to kick start an academic career.

No, he was just saying that Dr. Gerwath is researching the different reactions of soldiers to the war or something (I can't remember the specific topic), but he was just saying that it's going to take a lot of time and help to research as it's such a complicated subject, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

i didnt really hear i thought it was a deogratory comment and hence confirmed the rumoured or comic feud between the 2 last year. I realise i have slandered (or libel) him now, oh well

Advertisement