Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

whirlwind wrote: »
    has anybody done the reading yet for seminar 2 (next week)in interwar europe. What ye think

Where do we get the reading? I missed the first seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Tardy wrote: »
    Where do we get the reading? I missed the first seminar.

In the copy center.

Going to read it tonight on the bus home from work and I'll let you guys know what I think.

Is there only one lecture for both Viking and Culture and then the seminars this year? Seems a bit odd.

Thanks Brimmy. The copy centre is the little place off the library tunnel, right? Damn, It'll have to wait until Monday.

And yes, as far as I know, there is only one of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

I read it, R. Stites' Revolutionary Dreams and Trotsky's piece was straightforward enough. I thought Cine-Eyes: a Revolution was very astract and will have to give it another look though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

whirlwind wrote: »
    I read it, R. Stites' Revolutionary Dreams and Trotsky's piece was straightforward enough. I thought Cine-Eyes: a Revolution was very astract and will have to give it another look though

I've only glanced at it myself but the Cine-Eyes bit seemed very hard to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

????
    I have not been given any reading, and I went to every class this week.

????
    I have not been given any reading, and I went to every class this week.

We weren't given it in the lectures, we have to collect it in the center just off the library. I'm not sure what it cost. It might have been around €19.99 unless I'm confusing that with some other notes I picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

We weren't given it in the lectures, we have to collect it in the center just off the library. I'm not sure what it cost. It might have been around €19.99 unless I'm confusing that with some other notes I picked up.

It must be that you are in a different seminar group. My guy just gave us a latin thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

It cost me 9.99 and there was readings for 4 or 5 seminars though not them all. This is for europe in interwar europe. there on blackboard too, which i didnt know when i bought them. Dr. Kerr said in my seminar that they wouldn't. but they are now. Ya that cine eyes is mad s**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is the reading for the Vikings in the SU place, yes? Europe seems to be online (have to read that tonight), but the Vikings just says 'Raidings in the annals' under seminar 2, but no link or download.

• Advertisement

He said the material will be up on BB later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

For the Inter-War Europe class do we have to read the whole thing or just up to Cine-Eyes? Im a bit confused, 'Seminar 2' is written on the first page, but no mention of a reading for seminar 3 anywhere on it. Anyone know what the story is? :)

emy-87 wrote: »
    For the Inter-War Europe class do we have to read the whole thing or just up to Cine-Eyes? Im a bit confused, 'Seminar 2' is written on the first page, but no mention of a reading for seminar 3 anywhere on it. Anyone know what the story is? :)

As far as I know there is no Seminar 3. According to Blackboard there are reading weeks for weeks 2, 4, 6, 7 and 9.

Blackboard says that...
    Readings are drawn from:

R. Stites, Revolutionary Dreams (1989); S. Eisenstein, 'The Montage of Attractions' (1923); D. Vertov, Cine-Eyes: a Revolution' (1923); L. Trotsky, 'Vodka, Church and Cinema', all in R. Taylor and I. Christie eds, The Film Factory (1988).

So I'm pretty sure you have to read all of it. I read all of it anyway. Whether it's registered in my head is another matter. :pac:

So, are there weekly seminars or just seminars during those weeks?

Tardy wrote: »
    So, are there weekly seminars or just seminars during those weeks?

It says on my Calendar that there is one every week. My tutor explained things today, she said that the readings for next week were not put in the copy centre with the rest of them, so thats why there is a bit of confusion. They are in there now apparently. I havent gotten them yet, not looking forward to it, its the five principals of Fascism or something equally appealing along those lines.

Also, Hodges Figgis have about 10 copies of the Martin Kitchen book, I rang them to check. Waterstones acroos the road from HF doesnt have it in stock. Just thought I would let everyone know!:D

emy-87 wrote: »
    It says on my Calendar that there is one every week. My tutor explained things today, she said that the readings for next week were not put in the copy centre with the rest of them, so thats why there is a bit of confusion. They are in there now apparently. I havent gotten them yet, not looking forward to it, its the five principals of Fascism or something equally appealing along those lines.

Also, Hodges Figgis have about 10 copies of the Martin Kitchen book, I rang them to check. Waterstones acroos the road from HF doesnt have it in stock. Just thought I would let everyone know!:D

Thanks, I guess the other seminars will just be general reviews of the lecture materials. Have you looked for the Kitchen book on campus? Just wondering because there was supposed some copies around.

A good few people in the Seminar today were giving out that the Campus bookshop still dont have it in, they keep saying they will have it in in the next few days,etc. Tis the reason I rang Hodges Figgis:D I tried Easons and Waterstones and they didnt have it either. You could try Amazon aswell, I think its about €30 there including postage, but dont quote me on that;)

Campus Bookshop say they'll hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Yeah, it would be about €25/30 on Amazon, but I've had experience of their slow delivery service before. Might be quicker to order in the book shop. They're usually quick enough if you get in early and there's still a few weeks before the first assignment.

I'm such a bloody slow reader :( They better get it in pronto

• Advertisement

It's hard to believe that they didn't make a guess at how many of us would back for 3rd year (they know our results after all), and then order enough copies for us. They even have it as a core module, so they knew we would need this book.

Ye lot read the Annals of Ulster stuff for the Vikings seminar with Ed James?

I started reading it all, then realised I only have to read the highlighted bits :D Pretty cool stuff actually, lots of plundering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Dave! wrote: »

Is this in the copy center?

Brimmy wrote: »
    Is this in the copy center?

That stuff is on black board.

Dave! wrote: »

I started reading it all, then realised I only have to read the highlighted bits :D Pretty cool stuff actually, lots of plundering!

What will we be doing with this in the seminar? Anyone here been in one yet?

Yeah I had it today

He just went through the questions which are on Blackboard (same page as the link to AU.html). Didn't break us into groups or anything, just got feedback from the class in general.

Pretty relaxed seminar :p

I attached a Word document of the Annals with just the Viking parts. The main page on Blackboard has everything on it, with the Viking part highlighted. I copied those parts and put them all together because printing it all would be about 60 pages!!!

Thanks man... but I already printed out the 56 pages! Didn't even notice the questions on blackboard, better go look.

Aye... Don't worry, the discussion was pretty much just speculative tbh! He must have said "I don't know" about 100 times :p He's just looking for us to engage with the source and try to be historians by hypothesising based on the evidence really.

Funny story for ye lot: my brother studied History and Politics in UCD about 10 years ago and he had Declan Downey for Asian history. My bro said that he (Downey) invited my bro and a few other students back to his house for dinner :D My brother politely declined! God I would give anything to have dinner conversation with Declan Downey!!! :D

Declan Downey? Is he teaching in this module? I'm obviously ignorant.:o

• Advertisement

No no, but it just came to mind there :p He'll be doing Asia and Australia in semester 2 I think. He did Renaissance to Enlightenment last year.

Advertisement