Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dave! wrote: »
    The only time I would have to go to the museum is on the weekend, so I won't be going before Wed :rolleyes: Loada b*llocks. Am I gonna have to miss another seminar for that class?

No, just stay quiet and hope he does not ask you a question. It works for me;).

Dont follow my bad advice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say quite a few people will miss the museum trip. My problem with it is that it was given at pretty short notice. If we had 2 weeks notice then there would be no excuses but having a week is pretty hard going when you have to try and squeeze it into your timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sativa

Hi I am new to Boards went to the museum over the weekend wasn't that bad, wasn't much to see though. Was just wondering how everyone is getting on in there reading for there review essays in Culture and Society and Vikings?

Sativa wrote: »
    Was just wondering how everyone is getting on in there reading for there review essays in Culture and Society and Vikings?

Haven't started the Viking one yet. I'm curious to know what book you chose to do for the Viking one as there was a fair degree of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

Damn, I haven't been in for the past week. They've given assignments already? Where can I get the info?

• Advertisement

Tardy wrote: »
    Damn, I haven't been in for the past week. They've given assignments already? Where can I get the info?

Go to Blackboard and check out the course info section and you should find out what's required and when it's due.

Ok, I see the Vikings one, but what about the Culture and Society one, I can't see it anywhere.

Ok, I see the Vikings one, but what about the Culture and Society one, I can't see it anywhere.

It's in the section 'lecture list and reading guide'.

Thanks, It's the review of the Kitchen book. I actually read about this at the start of the semester and forgot all about it.:o The Campus Bookshop was supposed to be getting that book, but I forgot to go and check if it was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm such a slow reader :( I bought the Kitchen book, still on the 1st chapter though. Most of the Viking books were out of the library. Gonna have to have a geez in the Bookshop and see what's available. Anyone got a recommendation?

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm such a slow reader :( I bought the Kitchen book, still on the 1st chapter though. Most of the Viking books were out of the library. Gonna have to have a geez in the Bookshop and see what's available. Anyone got a recommendation?

I'm in the same boat (a longboat perhaps :D) as it's a nightmare trying to get books on the Vikings at the minute. I think as you say the best bet is to pop down to the library and buy something. Would be interested also to learn of any good ones to review. I reckon I might go for a relatively short one as the Kitchen one is quite large.

The Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings sounds good, I assume mostly pictures and little reading.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah if there's any that are <100 pages, that would be awesome :p

Ye reckon this one would be okay? :D

51%2Bes%2BY0wsL._SS500_.jpg

YIKES! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

First time I've been in the history museum. I really liked it!

This one looks better.:pac:

The Campus Bookshop was supposed to be getting that book, but I forgot to go and check if it was in.

I went last week and they had none left. Ended up having to go into town eventually found it in Waterstones.

How much is it in Waterstones?

How much is it in Waterstones?

Think it was around 25 Euro but there werent many left:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Hodgis Figgis have a load of copies, well at least they did a few weeks ago. Was about 28 euro then though.

Going to the museum today around 3, 2 hours is enough time right?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Im reading the Else Rosenthal book for the Vikings, its about 300 pages but its not that hard to read, considering its an academic book! Yeah, 2 hours should be enough for the museum. all you have to do is read the bits on the walls and in the display cases. Have a look downstairs aswell, they have the Bodies found in the Bogs on display. Nothing to do with the Vikings, but still pretty cool! :)

• Advertisement

Think it was around 25 Euro but there werent many left:confused:

I found a copy in a local library. I think I'll photocopy.:)

I went to the exhibition today. I found it very interesting. I'd recommend seeing it.

I had a quick look at a few of the other exhibits too. Tara, Medieval Ireland, the bog bodies, prehistoric Ireland and a peak into the ancient Egypt room. All really impressive. Gonna head back soon for a tour, they're only 2 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Meant to go this morning, but woke up late and have a load of reading to do.. mbleh...

Yeah went to my Vikings seminar today the tutor didnt even ask about the museum really. Also I heard today that the book review in Culture and Society isnt on the whole Kitchen book just a section of it. Is this true? Nearlly half way through it at this stage:mad:

When are they planning on giving us the Kitchen question? Or have they already?

Yeah went to my Vikings seminar today the tutor didnt even ask about the museum really. Also I heard today that the book review in Culture and Society isnt on the whole Kitchen book just a section of it. Is this true? Nearlly half way through it at this stage:mad:

Were you in Edward Doherty's one? That's the one I was in. Turned out only a few went to the museum so it wasn't talked about.

I'm still glad I went though. Really sparked my interest in the subject.

I'd also like to know the story on the Kitchen text.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

For interwar it wont be the whole book to review. Kerr told me this

Were you in Edward Doherty's one?

Ha, some kind of Edwards James/Charlie Doherty hybrid? ;)

• Advertisement

ianthefox wrote: »
    Ha, some kind of Edwards James/Charlie Doherty hybrid? ;)

D'oh! Yeah I meant Charles Doherty.

I'm always mixing their names together for some reason. :D

Advertisement