Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sativa

Were you in Edward Doherty's one?

No im in the other one forget the tutors name think Long is her second name. She just quickly went through the questions on blackboard and then just talked about the review which was handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

For interwar it wont be the whole book to review. Kerr told me this

Jesus Christ seriously?!?! Why don't they tell us this? I'm about 300 pages in. Takes me ages to read it too. Great. Between this complete lack of communication and the laughable organisation of the Vikings class (1 copy of each book in the library, if any, and obligatory trips to the museum with only 2 days notice)... just me, or are they actually trying to make 3rd year even harder for us? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

Can we assume that the Vikings review is supposed to be 1500 words in length, like the Culture and Society review? I really want to get started on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tardy wrote: »
    Can we assume that the Vikings review is supposed to be 1500 words in length, like the Culture and Society review? I really want to get started on this.

Its 1500-2000 words as far as I know. That is the rumour I have heard through the grapevine.

Hey, that's good, I'll try for a 2000 word first draft and cut it down if I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Viking's is a 3,000 word count.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Roesdahl book? Unable to find it in the book shop and someone mentioned it being on sale in the Museum but wasn't there when I went looking... might have to end up doing the Illustrated history one but everyone seems to be doing that.

And if Interwar isn't the whole book what sections of the book is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Brimmy wrote: »
    Viking's is a 3,000 word count.

No it isn't. It's 1,500 to 2,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know what's the reading for Culture & Society seminar this week? There's nothing for the week on Blackboard

The Vikings one is only bout 16 pages (an Icelandic Saga I believe), so not too bad. Just wish I had ink in the printer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

ianthefox wrote: »

Hmm well there's obviously confusion so as the tutor on Friday told my class it was 3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Hmm well there's obviously confusion so as the tutor on Friday told my class it was 3,000.

Who is your tutor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Check your UCD email :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the reading for Culture & Society seminar this week? There's nothing for the week on Blackboard

We have to get the notes in the SU shop. I think it's something to do with film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

ianthefox wrote: »

I heard that too, though I thought it was 1,700 to 2,000!

(Though I doubt 200 words will make too much of a difference, in the end of the day! :D)

Just write 5,000 words to be on the safe side :D

Cheers MNG

Did ye get the Culture and Society reading? Got it there, just wanna make sure it's correct.

'Style and medium in the motion pictures', by Erwin Panofsky...? :confused:

Bout 20 f*cking pages, blehhhh

Did ye get the Culture and Society reading? Got it there, just wanna make sure it's correct.

'Style and medium in the motion pictures', by Erwin Panofsky...? :confused:

Bout 20 f*cking pages, blehhhh

Any of it actually worth reading?

incidentally, I'm totally lost in that course... Feel like I have a good enough handle on Vikings, but the tutorials are just going over my head in the culture&society one..

None of the Society and Culture stuff was worth reading... what a load of bollocks! Also wasn't necessary to read it, as we just watched a video in the class.

Finally my laziness has been rewarded by the way! I should probably start reading my chapter of the Kitchen book :D

None of the Society and Culture stuff was worth reading... what a load of bollocks! Also wasn't necessary to read it, as we just watched a video in the class.

How do I get into your seminar?! What was the video about? Anything good?

We had to talk about the notes in our one unfortunately. Not the most riveting 45 minutes or so.

Things look set to get pretty hectic in history the next fortnight with all these essays due. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

do they actually expect us to read all that ****e for the tutorials when most arts students have 6 or 7 1500-3000 word essays due in week 6 and 7??? MADNESS!!!

How do I get into your seminar?! What was the video about? Anything good?

We had to talk about the notes in our one unfortunately. Not the most riveting 45 minutes or so.

Things look set to get pretty hectic in history the next fortnight with all these essays due. :D

My seminars are at a secret place and time ;) The video was just about Sergei Eisenstein. It was alright... I was actually nodding off during it, which was kind of embaressing cos there was only about 6 of us in the class and Prof Devlin could easily see me :D The seminar bore not relation to the lecture nor the readings though :confused: Well, VAGUELY, because he's a film director -- that's about it.

• Advertisement

My seminars are at a secret place and time ;) The video was just about Sergei Eisenstein. It was alright... I was actually nodding off during it, which was kind of embaressing cos there was only about 6 of us in the class and Prof Devlin could easily see me :D The seminar bore not relation to the lecture nor the readings though :confused: Well, VAGUELY, because he's a film director -- that's about it.

Oh right I was thinking maybe you got to watch a cool video on the Nazis or something. :)

At least we don't have seminars next week though what with it being a reading week and all. I least I think that's the situation...

Well if they're on, I aint goin to them that's for sure!

God I have so much bloody work to get done :(

Maths assignment due tomorrow... really difficult and I have not started it really. lol. Will do so shortly.
    Have to read and analyze some notes from another class that I am struggling in, so that I can get some help from the professor.
    Have to read the book on the Vikings, and the chapter/s on Europe, then write the essays.
    And finally I have an essay due for my psychology elective. Thankfully that's not due til November.
    Oh and I have less than 2 weeks to do a programming assignment.

BALLS TO YOUR UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But more importantly -- F*CKING BALLS TO MY JOB!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Ugh, in again tomorrow night. Thankfully I have the weekend free... to... READ AND WRITE ESSAYS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone else notice that several required books for the Vikings have mysteriously vanished from the library? I check the catalogue and it says theres about 6 books in the 948.02 section but theyre simply not there. And this is even in the short loan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh right I was thinking maybe you got to watch a cool video on the Nazis or something. :)

At least we don't have seminars next week though what with it being a reading week and all. I least I think that's the situation...

Yeah, no lectures or seminars at all in history next week.

Wanna ask one thing here, what do ye think of the one lecture/one seminar a week thing? Do ye think its better or what?

Yeah I may be in 2nd year, but still just asking:D

I would prefer two lectures a week and one seminar every other week. It would give us more time to get the reading done.:(

Tardy wrote: »
    I would prefer two lectures a week and one seminar every other week. It would give us more time to get the reading done.:(

+1

On a related note I'm so disgusted with myself today cos I missed a seminar for the first time this year and I was hoping to maintain a 100% record. I need every mark I can get!

I suppose I can double my participation efforts in future seminars to try and make up for it. :pac:

Compared to me you're a shining example of studiousness. I've only been in one seminar of each module, although I've been ill for the last few weeks so I have an excuse.;)

Wait.. what? next week is the reading week in history?? I thought it was the following week? awh man... I hoped English and History overlapped...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

passive wrote: »
    Wait.. what? next week is the reading week in history?? I thought it was the following week? awh man... I hoped English and History overlapped...

Yeah, history next week for definate. Have your lecturers/tutors not said anything? English one is Week 8, so starts Monday fortnight.

Looks like I'm totally different then regarding tutorials each week. Much prefer it, and feel am doing better/learning more because of it.

• Advertisement

I feel that I'm learning less with the current format tbh. We don't seem to cover as much (certainly in the Vikings module) material, and that which we do cover is quite vague to be honest. It seems the intention is for us to do our 'fact learning' by reading the textbook (as opposed to previous years where the lecture is about the chronology of events really), which is fair enough really. The emphasis in stage 3 I guess is on 'being a historian', hence engaging with primary sources and being encouraged to think about different readings.

I guess I prefer this format to be honest. It's alot less intense, and I feel like I'm actually doing something different to merely memorizing facts, as I've been doing since secondary school. However if they're going to do it this way then it might be worthwhile messing around with the ratio for each aspect of the course, so that there's more awarded for the seminars. What is it now, 10%? Not much of an incentive to do the reading and get thee to the class. 20% would be more like it :)

BTW,
    Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah I may be in 2nd year, but still just asking:D

INTRUDER!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Advertisement