Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, no lectures or seminars at all in history next week.

Wanna ask one thing here, what do ye think of the one lecture/one seminar a week thing? Do ye think its better or what?

Yeah I may be in 2nd year, but still just asking:D

I way prefer last year for the following reason...

There wasn't bloody 10% for attendence!

You literally didnt need to go to a lecture last year in history - Just do the essay in week 7 and prepare 3 questions for the exam for which there was an essay question for each topic on the course and you'd be home and dry to a b or a!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

I don't think their intention is to make getting a degree as easy as possible for you, though...

I definitely prefer this set up. I don't feel like I'm learning morebut I do think it's improving my history skills or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What do people think of the whole giving marks for participation thing? I feel that it's something more favourable towards extroverted types of people rather than introverted types.

It's obvious too in certain seminars that people tend to just pull statements out of their arse in the hope that they'll get the participation mark. (I have done this myself in fairness).

I get the logic behind it, to achieve a class dialogue, but I feel sometimes the dialogue can end up being about pretty silly stuff as people will just come out with anything in the hope of getting a good mark.

I think it would be better if there was some kind of system that rewarded class input overall (maybe with an option of doing extra written work for example) rather than one which seems to just reward the people that are the most outspoken and comfortable speaking in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't know how they decide it tbh... In my Viking seminar, Prof James doesnt know anyone's name, and he doesn't ask anyone's name when they eg. ask a question or make an observation. So is he giving everyone contribtion marks? Or nobody? I haven't a clue.

Anywho -- I guess being able to have a discussion on the topic, and speaking in public, is an important part of university education. I wouldn't say they're punishing anybody for not being keen on it, but they want to encourage it. I'm not too comfortable with it, and it's not like there's any kind of class spirit to make you feel like you're among friends, so shouldn't worry about coming across badly....... But meh, I've made the odd contribution when I felt there was something worth pointing out.

On the other hand, it does suck when the tutor calls on you for an opinion on something, and you have none at all :o It's not like you can say "oh I have no opinion on this", so you have to bullsh*t a bit! It's gas to see actually :p Someone clearly doesn't give a sh*t about the topic but has to talk a load of bollocks about Trotsky.... then Prof Devlin tries to dig through the crap and find some cogent point that she can spend 10 minutes elaborating on :D

So yes I agree with you in general! Some cringe-worthy discussion is generated at times

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What do people think of the whole giving marks for participation thing? I feel that it's something more favourable towards extroverted types of people rather than introverted types.

It's obvious too in certain seminars that people tend to just pull statements out of their arse in the hope that they'll get the participation mark. (I have done this myself in fairness).

I get the logic behind it, to achieve a class dialogue, but I feel sometimes the dialogue can end up being about pretty silly stuff as people will just come out with anything in the hope of getting a good mark.

I think it would be better if there was some kind of system that rewarded class input overall (maybe with an option of doing extra written work for example) rather than one which seems to just reward the people that are the most outspoken and comfortable speaking in public.

Does this not depend on the tutor? For one of my modules, the tutor I have puts questions on BB, and asks in seminar who has them done, so whoever does gets the mark. And some riends in others dont do anything regards it, so they don't know whats going on there.

Agree too that there should be higher marks towards the seminars, put it at 20%. At least at only 1% this ar though it doesn't make me feel bad for missing the ones I have/will!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Wait, are we actually being 'graded' on our participation though? I presumed it was just 1% per seminar so 10 seminars was the 10% and this was just for turning up.

I have Edward for the Vikings one and he always forgets to take a role anyway :p He seems pretty cool about the participation too.

For the Culture seminar I have Laura O'Brien I believe her name is.

I also do a Polish History elective from the second year options and the lecturer for that said that the seminar grades are for attendance, the course outline says:
    (Participation is no longer worth 10%, but it WILL MATTER whenever the grade is borderline)
    Attendance (mandatory): 10%

Btw could someone comeone confirm 2 things for me pls?

1) Is the Culture & Society first assignment due in week 7(end of the week I presume) as the course outline says or the end of week 6(reading week)?

2) I missed week 5's tutorial for C&S with Laura O'Brien. Does anyone have her as a tutor as she mentioned in week 4 that in week 5 she would talk to us about essay titles for our first assignment.

Are these the titles that are availalable on BB atm(the 3 options) or are they tutor specific?

Wait, are we actually being 'graded' on our participation though? I presumed it was just 1% per seminar so 10 seminars was the 10% and this was just for turning up.

I'm pretty sure we are being graded on participation.
    Btw could someone comeone confirm 2 things for me pls?

1) Is the Culture & Society first assignment due in week 7(end of the week I presume) as the course outline says or the end of week 6(reading week)?

It's the end of week 7. The vikings one is the end of week 6.
    2) I missed week 5's tutorial for C&S with Laura O'Brien. Does anyone have her as a tutor as she mentioned in week 4 that in week 5 she would talk to us about essay titles for our first assignment.

Are these the titles that are availalable on BB atm(the 3 options) or are they tutor specific?

I'm in Laura's tutorial as well. I made the week 5 one but at the time UCD Connect was down so nobody actually had the essay titles. Nothing major was said really although she is looking for us to hand in 2 passport-sized photos with our names on the back.

And yeah the 3 titles that are up on BB are the essay titles. :cool:

I'm in Laura's tutorial as well. I made the week 5 one but at the time UCD Connect was down so nobody actually had the essay titles. Nothing major was said really although she is looking for us to hand in 2 passport-sized photos with our names on the back.

And yeah the 3 titles that are up on BB are the essay titles. :cool:

Cool thanks. We need to hand in two more passport photos? What for? I already gave her one for our seminar cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

It's the end of week 7. The vikings one is the end of week 6.

Oh... ****.

I had thought both were week 7, well looks like I'm not going to have a life this week!

Cool thanks. We need to hand in two more passport photos? What for? I already gave her one for our seminar cards.

Yeah it's for the seminar cards. If you handed one in already you're probably alright. I thought she said we needed to give in two but maybe it's just the one that's required.
    Brimmy wrote:
    Oh... ****.

I had thought both were week 7, well looks like I'm not going to have a life this week!

Ditto, this week is going to be very stressful! I definitely don't want to end up leaving things until the last day. :pac:

• Advertisement

So what book is everyone doing for the Vikings and what chapter for Kitchen?

Was going to go with Roesdahl myself but after finding out it's this Friday and not next think I'll switch over to the Illustrated History by Sawyer as it's shorter and wasn't too far in with Roesdahl. Probably going to do the Russians for Kitchen as well.

I'm just over half way through the Illustrated History one for Vikings, so should finish that tonight. I've been making little notes along the way, so should be able to manage 1500 words on it really (plus I'm off work until Wednesday, so have a bit of time to get it done).

Dunno what I'll do for Europe... Whichever topic has the shortest chapter probably :D Is that really due week 7? I thought they were both due this Friday, so was panicking a bit! Have a load of assignments to get done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm managed to get hold of Gwyn Jones's "A history of the Vikings" from the short loan, and photocopied most of Sawyer's book for comparison. So I'm working with them, and just about managed to get Kitchen's book too, so will either get to work on the quickly or photocopy the whole thing to avoid short loan camping...

But first! English!

I'm doing a book called The Viking World by James Campbell-Graham. It has lots of illustrations. I finished it over the weekend and I'm looking to get a move on with the intro tomorrow night. I hope to have the majority of it done by Wednesday and then use Thursday to put the finishing touches on it. Whether everything goes to plan remains to be seen. :D

I haven't made up my mind on what I'll do for the Kitchen text yet but maybe something on Nazi Germany for no other reason than I find that era of history interesting.

The crap thing for me is I also have an essay due for my Sexuality and Society course at the end of week 7 as well so I'll be working on two assignments next week most likely. Busy, busy times!

passive wrote: »
    But first! English!

After spending the last five plus hours researching, reading and typing up my essay I accidently closed it without saving.. and all my rough notes where in the one word document bar a few scribled on a page..

So I'm going to be up half the night now trying to get this out of the way so I can get started on the Viking's tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

Hopefully someone can help us out with this?

It says on blackboard that the vikings review must be submitted through

blackboard? Does anyone know how you do this?

And also does that mean we will also have to submit a copy into the history

office aswell?

Cheers.

Yeah Prof James said he'll be putting up instructions on how to submit online. This will be the official copy that must be sent in before the deadline. Then you also have to submit a hard copy to the college sometime thereafter.

That's what he told us anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah Prof James said he'll be putting up instructions on how to submit online. This will be the official copy that must be sent in before the deadline. Then you also have to submit a hard copy to the college sometime thereafter.

That's what he told us anyways!

all right thanks, that clears it up.

I had to buy Gwen Jones' 'a History of The Vikings' for 12.65 in the bookshop today as I couldn't get any other book on the list in the library, lame.

Cuttin it a bit fine there meester? :D

I'm planning on staying up til the early hours and getting this viking essay done tonight! Have too many assignments due in a short time to be leaving it to the last second

• Advertisement

Cuttin it a bit fine there meester? :D

I'm planning on staying up til the early hours and getting this viking essay done tonight! Have too many assignments due in a short time to be leaving it to the last second

You sir, are my hero.

He said the digital copy has to be in before the hard copy? Whenever I've had to submit through blackboard I was told that the hard copy needed to be in first, same for English this year as well.

huh, in the seminar he actually said the hard-copy can go in any time, and that we won't have to queue outside the office like usual.

BUT, on Blackboard it says:

All work must be transmitted electronically, and one hard copy to be handed in to the School Office (K107). The deadline for both is 5 pm on Friday of Week 6.

I'll be giving them both in before the deadline anywho, to be safe!

Finally finished that feckin book, now to start my essay... now... right now... just closing down boards as I type... opening Word...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

huh, in the seminar he actually said the hard-copy can go in any time, and that we won't have to queue outside the office like usual.

BUT, on Blackboard it says:

All work must be transmitted electronically, and one hard copy to be handed in to the School Office (K107). The deadline for both is 5 pm on Friday of Week 6.

I'll be giving them both in before the deadline anywho, to be safe!

Finally finished that feckin book, now to start my essay... now... right now... just closing down boards as I type... opening Word...

:D

The office closes at 4 now. It is 4!!!! I am saying this as I dont want anyone to be screwed over, the office used to be open until 5 but due to the recruitment freeze office hours are cut as one of the office workers left and they are not allowed hire a replacement.
    I'll be doing it on the Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings. It is only 150 pages and is mostly pictures, I'll start it tomorrow.

hmmm.... doing a word-count after finishing my introductory paragraph :D That's usually a pessimistic sign!

Bed-time, looks like I aint doing it all tonight :D Oh well

edit

F*ck it, I'll stay up til 2.30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

so... Any lovely people here be willing to loan me the Gerwarth book for the purposes of photocopying, for like an hour or so? Thinking of doing the comparative question, and have a friend in a similar position, but she just splashed out on the Kitchen book and I haz no moneyz... Can repay in the form of having someone killed. Or just plain old gratitude ;). But also the assassination thing...

aand, while I'm here, have a copy of the Keylor book for the international history course, if anybody is looking to buy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

any update on places that are selling the kitchen text and have it in stock? Apparantly the gertwarth text is longer and more difficult to read. Best to keep it simple!

any update on places that are selling the kitchen text and have it in stock? Apparantly the gertwarth text is longer and more difficult to read. Best to keep it simple!

Try Hodgis Figgis.

Going to start typing on the Sawyer Illustrated History tonight.. if anyone else is doing it can you tell me if you're going to review all the chapters as each is written by a different author or just do a selected few chapters, say 3/4, as that would allow for 500ish words on each?

Finished my Vikings essay yesterday :D Reading the Kitchen chapter now, not bad at all. Don't have a clue what to write about it though, it's only 1 f*cking chapter :confused:

Finished my Vikings essay yesterday :D

Fair play man. I'm struggling to get down to it. I know what I plan on doing but I just keep procrastinating. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ahh I hear ya, procrastination is my middle name! Think this is the first essay I've done in 3 years that I have not been up the night before finishing :D Probably the last too. Alas! :D

Advertisement