Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Tardy

When submitting online, do we need to write our own coverpage or just submit the essay with our student number? What are you guys doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You have to be logged into Blackboard to submit it, so I assume your student number, name, etc., is noted automatically. I will probs put it in the 'comments' section anyways to be sure.

I suppose I'll just make a cover page up as well. That's what I normally do for Info Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

God damnit the books I got for the Viking essay were long, Gyw Jones' book and the Viking Empires by Forte et all, 400 pages each, none of this pictures crap like the Penguin Atlas ugh :(

I also got the Viking Worlds book by Campbell et all which is quite short and has lots of pictures but I haven't looked at it.

Yeah, I've done the Viking World book. It's quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Brimmy wrote: »
    Sawyer Illustrated History tonight.. if anyone else is doing it can you tell me if you're going to review all the chapters as each is written by a different author or just do a selected few chapters, say 3/4, as that would allow for 500ish words on each?

Sorry to quote myself but can anybody help me out? :P

The book I reviewed had multiple authors, but I don't think it matters about the author really. According to a guide I read on writing scholarly book reviews you should give a synopsis of the book, its strengths and weaknesses, evaluate the author's research and sources, decide if the book is successful at what it set out to contribute (usually stated in the intro or foreward) and only focus on the book's most important points.

It also says avoid chapter-by-chapter reviews, as there not sophisticated.

They're the rules I followed.:)

Tardy wrote: »
    The book I reviewed had multiple authors, but I don't think it matters about the author really. According to a guide I read on writing scholarly book reviews you should give a synopsis of the book, its strengths and weaknesses, evaluate the author's research and sources, decide if the book is successful at what it set out to contribute (usually stated in the intro or foreward) and only focus on the book's most important points.

It also says avoid chapter-by-chapter reviews, as there not sophisticated.

They're the rules I followed.:)

Cheers for that, I've only checked blackboard now and saw the review guide on it. Muchos appreciated for the input even though it looks like I'll be going back to the drawing board and be up till the early hours of the morning finishing this... does anyone else hate the vikings as much as me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

God damnit the books I got for the Viking essay were long...Viking Empires by Forte et all

I feel your pain.

Pro Evo just went on sale.. there goes any chance of me getting this essay finished tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I have just, at this absurdly late hour, decided to switch from Gwyn Jones's wonderful book to Sawyer's Illustrated History. This shall be... interesting. But I've read the guts of another of Sawyer's books, and have Jones notes for contrast on "engagability" and "simplicity" so, even at this late stage, I think I'll turn in a better piece with Sawyer than Jones... Though I do wish I'd decided this sooner. And *cry*.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have my plan sorted. Now I just have to spend all night writing the blooming thing out. Oh joy!

PS do we use footnotes in the essay or can endnotes be used? :confused:

PS do we use footnotes in the essay or can endnotes be used? :confused:

There's a difference? Or do you mean (author, book, page) format the end of the sentence? I'm using footnotes anyway..
    passive wrote: »
    I have just, at this absurdly late hour, decided to switch from Gwyn Jones's wonderful book to Sawyer's Illustrated History. This shall be... interesting. But I've read the guts of another of Sawyer's books, and have Jones notes for contrast on "engagability" and "simplicity" so, even at this late stage, I think I'll turn in a better piece with Sawyer than Jones... Though I do wish I'd decided this sooner. And *cry*.

The Sawyer book isn't that bad, I'm doing it now and it's easy enough to rip through, you don't have to comment on all the chapters anyway (or you can buy I'm not going too, I'm picking 2-3 main contradictions/faults and exploiting them) because otherwise it would be too much...

I still have to read a load of secondary material though :(

Also is anyone using reviews of the books they're reviewing? And if you are were are you getting them? J-stor?

There's a difference? Or do you mean (author, book, page) format the end of the sentence? I'm using footnotes anyway..

Yeah I meant the references at the end of the page. A few years ago I had a tutor (I won't name the person :pac:) and I had my head bitten off for handing in an essay with the page references at the end of the essay rather than at the bottom of each page.

I'm wondering if they are still being strict on that. I think I'll do footnotes just to be on the safe side.

I'm still not quite sure what you mean but I've always done footnotes,... it's in the style that the department want.

Yeah I meant the references at the end of the page. A few years ago I had a tutor (I won't name the person :pac:) and I had my head bitten off for handing in an essay with the page references at the end of the essay rather than at the bottom of each page.

I'm wondering if they are still being strict on that. I think I'll do footnotes just to be on the safe side.

You still have to use footnotes.

I'm still not quite sure what you mean but I've always done footnotes,... it's in the style that the department want.

Footnotes are the text at the bottom of each page, whereas using endnotes means instead of appearing at the bottom of each page they just appear at the end of your essay.

It meant instead of worrying if you got all your references on each page you could simply tot them all up at the end. I think they're handier.

I prefer footnotes... but in shorter term; I wish I could sleep.. but... 9 hour essay binge ahead of me. Woohoo....

Ok so I've made some popcorn.. got my books all laid out in front of me, some notes for some, few chapters of Sawyer left to thumb through... think I'll watch South Park before I start..

• Advertisement

Yeah nice to see I'm not the only doing an all-nighter. Let's do this thing. :cool:

I'm going to start any minute. Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good luck lads ;)

The funny thing is, I finished yesterday but still haven't submitted it. So ya just KNOW I'm gonna forget about it tomorrow :(

FYI I have 3 alarms set in my phone for it....

Dave! wrote: »
    I finished yesterday

Get out...

At 1,100 words at the moment, still got some secondary reading to clarify and a little bit more on Sawyer not to mention a bibliography. Going to call it a night I think and do the secondary on the bus over in the morning then wrap this up hopefully at some stage between 9-1.... provided I wake up....

Dave! wrote: »

FYI I have 3 alarms set in my phone for it....

Not for long... *steals phone while Dave sleeps*

*returns a few minutes later and steals essay...*

*returns later still... surprise!*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just done it now. 1505 words. Timed to perfection :) I did Sawyer but felt a bit weird doing, wasnt really sure what to do as you are going to have to leave some material out and you dont want to go over critical or praise some aspects too much. Ah just glad its done

This isn't going so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You are all a disgrace being up until this hour of the morning.
    Oh wait, I am up longer than everyone:D:D

Just got the bastard finished but my sh*tty PC won't do footnotes for me so I'll have to work it out manually. I probably won't get it sorted 'til about 6. Then I've to be up at 10 for a noon lecture where I might be given a quiz. What a bloody day this is going to be. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm still here... 500 words or so into the actual writing, 2 hours left to write it... mbleh... This is going to be the worst day in history since last Tuesday's post essay day or next Tuesday's post essay day...

Advertisement