Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Chakar wrote: »
    Footnotes? The Harvard system of referencing is the norm. This link from the Library website explains how to cite your sources in a bibliography.

http://www.ucd.ie/library/students/information_skills/harvard.html

However this link below advises you how to cite your sources in the text.

http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/lskills/open/sfl/content/harvard/index.html

The history school uses chicago style. Footnotes are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

What's the problem with footnotes? I have used them on all my essays, in every course without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

spaceman1 wrote: »
    What's the problem with footnotes? I have used them on all my essays, in every course without a problem.

Some schools dont use them. English i think are one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The Schools of Politics and Sociology use the Harvard style of referencing. It depends what style of referencing your school uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Flume wrote: »
    Some schools dont use them. English i think are one.

English is open ended, depends on the modules and how much you actually reference. Least that's how I've seen it since first year and never had a problem..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Neville Flynn

hey, could someone please e-mail me the notes/essay titles for declan downeys asian tigers lecture, i went to k107 yesterday and they said he had taken them away

the essay titles would suffice as i never got round to getting them

my e-mail is franciebellew@gmail.com , cheers in advance to anyone who can help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Speaking of Mr Downey, he sent an email round with all his lecture notes for renaissance on word format. Rather excellent. He only sent them to people that attended the lecture thursday morning, quite a good idea. The notes were removed from the office as they were not being returned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

So he's only giving them to people who attended his 9am lecture the day after Halloween? Yeah seems like a great idea to me!
    Any chance you could pass these on to me at christianstevens@gmail.com please delta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah, ello Chris!

If you could forward them to me too, that would be great... davidmcginn [-at-] gmail.com

Cheers

Hey back at ye dave :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Can I have them too please, my email is parkourpaul@gmail.com

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    So he's only giving them to people who attended his 9am lecture the day after Halloween? Yeah seems like a great idea to me!

I know that's meant to be sarcasm but it's really a good idea.. he was getting pissed with people not showing up to the lectures, taking his set of notes and never returning them. I got a good laugh out of it at least :D

Also anyone doing Mohammad? Do we have an exam in it or is it just essay based?

Just essays.

How many words does the Middle East essay have to be? I am going to aim at 1500-2000 but this could be too little or too much so I am just making sure as class is on Thursday and I'll be nearly finished by then.

Is this week 9, so Renaissance tutorials are back on today right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 puppywuppy

Well i have a sheet she gave me right in my hand now that says 2000 words

The sheet says 2000 words coz thats wat were ment to do. but she said to do somwher around 1500, no less dan 1200. I askd her ystr in my seminar 2 sort it out. Da essays are worth 25% in total. 2nd essay due da 30th of Nov.

Hey Brimmy, my renaissance tutorials are week 5 and 10, so if you had one in week 4 your next must be week 9.

I wonder what has happened of my US History essay that was uploaded by the digital dropbox onto trusty blackboard? Methinks that it is now nonexistant.
    I emailed Tadhg O Hannraichain this evening regarding uploading of Middle East essay and am waiting on a reply from him whats going to happen.

I wonder what has happened of my US History essay that was uploaded by the digital dropbox onto trusty blackboard? Methinks that it is now nonexistant.
    I emailed Tadhg O Hannraichain this evening regarding uploading of Middle East essay and am waiting on a reply from him whats going to happen.

He is quite good for replying to emails. You wont be waiting over 24hrs. I would say if BB is still down we would just have to hand in 2 hard copies or 1 via floppy as the reason they are done through BB now is they put your essay through plagiarism software.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

the words for the middle east essay is 1500 i heard.

It also says on the question sheet:
    "the essential element of all these assignments is the students own engagement with the document. Far better to read the document carefully and reflect upon withouth any secondary reading rather than to merely rely on the secondary material in writing the assignment"

is anyone else going to put down references from other books or a bibliography, or just do the document off the top of your head??

• Advertisement

the words for the middle east essay is 1500 i heard.

It also says on the question sheet:
    "the essential element of all these assignments is the students own engagement with the document. Far better to read the document carefully and reflect upon withouth any secondary reading rather than to merely rely on the secondary material in writing the assignment"

is anyone else going to put down references from other books or a bibliography, or just do the document off the top of your head??

I have some other books but im just using them to back up my opinion. Im doing king crane. What worries me is that the king crane doc up on blackboard was only the recommendations, the real doc is far longer but i presume he means the doc he had up on blackboard

Hey Brimmy, my renaissance tutorials are week 5 and 10, so if you had one in week 4 your next must be week 9.

I know but that's what I was asking, THIS is week 9 right?

yeh it is

Woohoo get the titles of the Renaissance essay tomorrow so!

Also decided to start Mohammad essay today but can't get into the notes. Stupid blackboard!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

anyone know what the other titles are for the middle east module essay? im have thru the king crane and im drawing a blank! want to start another one but i cant get the titles on blackboards cos its broke

I know this is late but was at Howard Marks tonight, there was a sign on the door of Th L. saying tomorrow's Renaissance Lecture is cancelled due to illness.

Thanks Brimmy!

Cheers, i am in theatre L as I type. Off to finish some essays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does anyone have those notes for Renaissance, to email to me? Cheers

• Advertisement

Just got an email from our class rep:

Hey guys,

Our first essay was suppose to be due this friday the 9th of november but as blackboard has been down all week, the due date is put back to next friday at 3pm.

also, our first class party is next tuesday in the student bar for a few drinks. there is the arctic monkeys tribute band playing along with another band and a dj, we all get in free along with a few free drinks and food. ill be giving out tokens on then night. hope you can make it, around 8.15 in the bar.

Class rep Gary

Is that the middle east essay?

Advertisement