Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Rite Lads, let's get going on the 2nd Vikings Essay! Get ur Sagas, get ur sagas out!!

Please tell me you're joking...

I was going to order mine this weekend (put it off 2 weeks ago, forgot last week) but realized by the time it gets here I might start being hard pressed. Did you get yours in Dublin? If so where and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Rite Lads, let's get going on the 2nd Vikings Essay! Get ur Sagas, get ur sagas out!!
    What? You have'nt finished it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

Not a monkey's where i'm going about getting mine, dat tutor Ann Marie Long sed to have them for the tutorial on Wensday, dat ain't happening. Looks like two options -
    1. Good old Amazon

2. Looking round 2nd Hand Bookshops for a bargain

I was only g ing, we've loadsa time yet, considering most people only red the Vikings book the day/night/3 hours before the book review I don't see people going into a rash of book purchasing this time around. Such a balls dou, relate the Saga with a Historical aspect in Viking Iceland.

We'll all be in jobs with practical and relevant assignments like this.

Thanks Dick Aldous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads do we actually have to buy a copy of it? From what I've been told, they're very hard to come by...

There's a few of them on this website:
    http://phwibbles.com/sagas/

I'm not sure how copyrighting works, but obviously the original document (in Norse) is in the public domain; does that mean that translations are also? It appears to be the case

Anywho... Njal's saga is here, so if it's alright to use them I guess I'll go for that. It'll probably cost a good bit to print it in college, but it'll still be cheaper than buying one...

Here's another site for the sagas

http://www.sagadb.org/index_az

How much does it cost for each page printed? Bout 5c?

Njal's saga is 251 pages... €12.55? Hope my maths is correct :o

Also, it will take, what, 10 minutes to print? Is there any protocol for when you want to print something so large? I'm sure there will be alot of p*ssed off people queuing up while I print the sh*t out :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are they really hard to come by? I figured they'd be available in the bookshop, no?

Oh and Dave according to Blackboard Njal's saga is definitely alright as it's listed as one of the recommended sagas to use.

I'm going to try and pick up a saga translation this week.

I dunno tbh, I haven't even looked! Just what I heard really. A mate had to go into town for his and said that Njal's was the only one he could find.

I'm thinking that I don't want to read one that is going to bore me to tears. I want an enjoyable read! I've been browsing a few of them on Wikipedia and this one looks quite interesting...

Gisli Sursson's Saga

It's in the recommended sagas so I think I'll make an effort to find it.

Going for Gunnlaugs saga, can be got here for a tenner (comes as a collection, but can't see myself reading the rest of them!)

Anyone read the seminar reading yet for Vikings?

It talks about the plot in some of the sagas, and in one it mentions that a newly married couple are having sexual troubles and the man is at fault. The reader assumes that he is impotent, but it later emerges that the problem is his penis is too big, making penetration impossible!!! :D Quality

With another couple, the wife wants a divorce, and so somehow tricks the husband into wearing a shirt that looks like a woman's blouse, because effeminacy is grounds for divorce in Icelandic law :D

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone read the seminar reading yet for Vikings?

It talks about the plot in some of the sagas, and in one it mentions that a newly married couple are having sexual troubles and the man is at fault. The reader assumes that he is impotent, but it later emerges that the problem is his penis is too big, making penetration impossible!!! :D Quality

With another couple, the wife wants a divorce, and so somehow tricks the husband into wearing a shirt that looks like a woman's blouse, because effeminacy is grounds for divorce in Icelandic law :D

LOL haven't looked at yet but I definitely will. Sounds like Curb Your Viking Enthusiasm. :D

Edit: Just been having a read. Some good stuff. I liked how the author wonders if it's coincidence the guy with the big penis has a name which means 'Ram'!

That's a bloody long reading though. I think it's forty pages or so if my maths is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'm going to head into Chapters tomorrow, hopefully they'll either have the saga or be able to order it in within 2 days (week at max usually unless coming from the States).

I hate Vikings :(

Does anyone know what the seminar reading is for the Inter-War seminar this week? Do we have to buy it in the shop?

It's on Blackboard is it not? The fascism stuff.

I downloaded them earlier and was planning on reading them tomorrow, thinking my seminar wasn't til Thursday... It's tomorrow :( I'm not reading 50+ pages for tomorrow, so that's yet another tutorial I'll miss. Dunno if it's my fault or if it's an unreasonable workload that explains my not going to alot of these tutorials... This time it was an oversight on my part, but in previous weeks it's usually a case of me having to prioritise: do assignments/deal with problems in other modules, or else spend time reading for something that I can get max 10% from. A no-brainer really! I do enjoy them for the most part and like engaging with the sources (sometimes), but I just can't manage it when I have other sh*t to do! grrg

I'm a bit confused as on Blackboard the fascism stuff is down as week 7 whereas I think this is week 8? I missed my last tutorial so I don't know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

Would you say it's the fascism one? I notice there's nothing up for week 8's reading which usually means we have to go buy it so I just wanted to make sure.

Like yourself I have a tutorial tomorrow which isn't ideal.

I'd say it's the fascism one yeah...

The lecture list is:

1. Introduction. The Cultural Impact of World War I
    2. Cultural Revolution in Russia
    3. Fascism and the New Man
    4. The New Woman
    5. Film and Mass Culture
    6. The City and Modern Life
    7. The Rise of Nazism and the Struggle against Fascism
    8. Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Art
    9. Propaganda and Mass Communication
    10. Intellectuals and the Spanish Civil War

The week before the reading week, the lecture was on the city (god that was a snore-fest...), and directly following that in the seminar readings list is the reading on fascism (ie. it's not week 6, then 8).

readings week 6
    Theme of the week: Cities and Modern Life.
    Readings include:
    M. Bradbury, 'Cities of Modernism' in Bradbury and J. McFarlane, Modernism (1976). Documents from Kaes, The Weimar Republic Sourcebook (1994).

Readings week 7
    The theme of the week is the reaftion to fascism and includes some documents on the phenomon itself. Readings are drawn from:
    R. Griffin ed., Fascism (1995); H. Barbusse, One Looks at Russia (1930); A. Gide, Back from the USSR (1936).

So if I were a dilligent student :p, that's what I'd go for. Just me though! Don't blame me if you wasted your time :D

Well hopefully it's that one as I did read a little bit of the fascism one last week so I might end up being OK if it's actually for this one. If not I'll just sit there looking bemused as always. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well hopefully it's that one as I did read a little bit of the fascism one last week so I might end up being OK if it's actually for this one. If not I'll just sit there looking bemused as always. :D

Yeh let us know what it is as i am rather confused which it is i have to read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

Think I mite go for Kormac's Saga, he sounds Irish so he mite be easier to relate to. Lol. Does anyone know if you can review it in isolation though, cos it's part of a wider collection of Sagas I think, i don't suppose it matters though. Going to take someone's advice and download it off the Icelandic Saga Database.

Q. What's an Icelander's favourite Games Console from the early to mid 90's?

A. A SAGA Megadrive!!!

Viking jokes are the best kind of jokes :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeh let us know what it is as i am rather confused which it is i have to read :)

I didn't go in the end as I woke up with a really bad chesty cough. But hey maybe you'll get lucky and have your immune system mess you up too. :D
    Q. What's an Icelander's favourite Games Console from the early to mid 90's?

A. A SAGA Megadrive!!!

And what's an Icelander's favourite character in Street Fighter?

Saga-t!!!

I'll let myself out...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Oh, in regards to the whole using the free online translations, they advised us not to because they're like a century outdated or something...

I ordered one from one of the used books sellers based in the UK on amazon on Thursday and it got here today. 98p + shipping.

Does anyone have the french revolution essay titles? I missed the tutorial they were handed out and I believe we have to nominate one this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Anyone else think the Viking Lecture this morning was hilarious?

The Icelandic Death-Metal Tangent he went on was brilliant!

I missed it :) Was up late doin an essay so took the morning off..

Anything interesting/important?

There's not much need to go to the rest of the lectures for this surely :confused: Since the rest of the marks go for the saga essay!

I'll probably go anyway, but just sayin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Nothing really important today It was about the Conversion of Iceland. I havent been to the Lectures in ages so I thought I had better go. :rolleyes:

He was talking about Churches in Iceland, and he went on to talk about a Crazy satanist from a Death-metal band who burned down a couple of the Medieval Churches in the 90s and how he murdered a guy in his band. Crazy stuff, not relevant at all to the Vikings but always useful to know!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The covers of the Thor comic books were funny as well:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 belgo27

So what sagas are people doing? And what date is it due by

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Who's the Icelander's favourite actor?

Steven Saga-l!!

Got Njal's saga, very easy to read anyone else doin this one?

• Advertisement

Is Njal's the 250 page one?!?!

I'll be aiming for a 75-125 page one, so that I have some content but not too much ;) I asked Prof James and he said (a) the older translations are fine, you just won't get the benefit of Penguin's helpful notes; and (b) you can choose any saga, including the one that's 17 pages long!

I shalln't be doing that, as I wouldn't be able to fill a page on it :D But it's nice to know there isn't the need to read too much.

I'll probably print mine out on Friday and start reading it after my mid-term exam next week. It's due the end of week 12, yah? Suppose I don't want it interfering with my exams do i? Better start soon enough then

Anyone know what week we're in now BTW?

Advertisement