Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know what week we're in now BTW?

Is it 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Its bout 310 mius the introductory notes and thats in a small paper back size so its handy enough but the vague essay title is the killer so its only one central theme you can analyze then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Yeah it's only one topic which is a bit weird but depending which one you do you could probably encompass another, like death with feud or love with law etc.

The lecture tangent was great and so were the model penises, I think I'll be doing Gisli Sursson's Saga, only about 67 pages with a lot in it ;)

If anyone's still awake did you get the reading for InterWar? I got it but it seems ridiculously short, only about 8 pages, this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

i got them alrite but they seem ridicilously long, nazi art and on film?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Doings Gunnlaug Serpent Tongue. 40 short pages and an enjoyable read! Result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Just back in college after 2 weeks out sick. I'm really behind tbh, missed seminars, lectures, getting stressed too. Could anyone who went to last week's C&S lecture 'The Rise of Nazism and the Struggle against Fascism' tell me what the 'struggle against Fascism' bit amounted to?

I'm assuming The Rise of Nazism was relatively straight forward.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Edward James is the new head of the history department. It has not been ratified yet but fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Edward James is the new head of the history department. It has not been ratified yet but fair play to him.

Aldous leaving the department entirely? Saw him more on q&a than i did in ucd :)

Where did you hear this? Nothing from the society email but suppose it wouldn't till it was ratified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Aldous leaving the department entirely? Saw him more on q&a than i did in ucd :)

between q&a and the time spent collecting various irish speeches and making thousands off them, its a wonder he had any time at all to devote to the department!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Hah! He's on the prime time US Election special as we speak... presented by John Bowman!

Still calling him Professor of history in UCD ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

G'wan Edward! Such a good guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

They tend to rotate the head of school anyway don't they? Fair play to edward james though. Sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No, he won't be leaving the school, he'll just go back to being an 'ordinary' lecturer like Michael Laffan did after he finished his time as head of school. Each person elected does 3 years as head of school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

convert wrote: »
    No, he won't be leaving the school, he'll just go back to being an 'ordinary' lecturer like Michael Laffan did after he finished his time as head of school. Each person elected does 3 years as head of school

I was about to post that. It is a 3 year term for being head of the school. He is not leaving, he is just no longer head of the school.

This is week 10 isn't it lads? I missed all last week through illness so I just want to make sure I'm not kidding myself. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not arsed goin to the lecture again tomorrow... Gonna make sure I print off my saga tomorrow though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

Right, anyone have any ideas what questions might be coming up for the Interwar Europe Take Home Exam? Something about the changing position of men/women, urban/rural society, the growth of the media and propaganda perhaps?

It's week 10.

As for the take home I'd imagine something on propaganda and something on women like the New Soviet Woman... anyone know when we're getting it? Also is there a take home in Vikings as well as the Saga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

No the Saga Essay is worth 60% so there is no take home exam for Vikings, that is our last assessment for that module. A friend of mine (yes they do exist) went up to David Kerr at the end of Interwar last Tuesday and asked when the questions for the take home will be out, he said towards the end of Week 11. A phrase ryhming with Plucking Gel came across my lips i'm ashamed to say. According to the Lecture List though, our lectures finish up next week, so it looks as though there will be no lectures/tutorials to go to in Week 12.

• Advertisement

Was there anything important said at the Viking or Europe lectures this week??? Skipped the Viking one, am sick today so couldn't go in to college! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

According to the Lecture List though, our lectures finish up next week, so it looks as though there will be no lectures/tutorials to go to in Week 12.

Yeah, week 12 is another Reading Week!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Thank God, I have 5 essays due week 12! :( I dont think I will be sleeping over the next 3 weeks....:rolleyes:

So many essays. So little time. Where's Doc and that DeLorean when you need 'em? :(

How did ye get on in your vikings and inter war results of the first essay?

Are those results available delta?????

Just got this.........
    Dear All

Just to confirm that you will be given your take home exam paper next Tuesday at the lecture and I will then put it up on Blackboard.

You must answer two questions: these should be exam answers. Read and think about them in advance but then sit and write them in an hour or two. They should be in the order of 1000-1500 words (the standard exam answer) and typed but footnotes and bibliography and quotations are not in order. This is an exam, rather than a researched essay.

The submission date is Friday of week 12 (Friday 28 November before 3.00pm).

Best wishes

Judith

PS I will try to load up the propaganda readings that would not open and will leave a set for you for copying in the History office in my pigeonhole (too late to try the Union).

If available they wouldve been given out in seminars

Which assignment? The Vikings saga is it? I only printed mine the other day, gonna have to read it over the weekend!

Are lectures and seminars finished now for history? Actually the essay titles are being distributed in Tuesday's lecture, so presumably Europe aint over!

Lecturers and seminars finish next week... then a reading week with all the assignments due in then.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity what online databases are you guys using for your sources? Everything I can find seems to be book reviews on the subject I'm doing...really annoying..

Advertisement