Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Where did people get copies of their sagas? Someone said they were printing theirs off a few posts back?

Also did anyone go to the Culture & Society lecture this week on Mass Propaganda? Would you be so kind to give a few bullet points on the main themes of the lecture? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So remember that thing in the charter that says "Don't name staff members?" Yeah, that's what we like to call a rule. It gets broken in this thread again, I start banning offenders.

To those coming to the defence of the staff member: Good work, but in future please just report stuff like that, positively discussing members of staff by name is equally against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Raphael wrote: »
    positively discussing members of staff by name is equally against the rules.

Wait you mean we can't discuss members of staff in a positive manner too or is that worded wrongly/I'm too tired? :confused:

You can't name members of staff, whether your saying "They're great" or "They're awesome". This is because they might not like being discussed either which way, and also to avoid argument as regards whether something was bad enough to warrant sanction.

• Advertisement

Ok that's fair enough but why was there no warning given out in the thread about the girl who works in the shop then? I'm not sanctioning what he did, not by a long shot but it seems a tad hypocritical when there have been other threads in the past which have openly discussed members of staff and given details concerning everything about them, except for their name or is that where the line is drawn?

Anyway just to re-iterate I don't back what he said, quite the opposite in fact just don't see how one thing is ok while the other is not. And so this post isn't a complete derail I'm going to quote something I asked earlier to which no one replied :(
    Brimmy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what online databases are you guys using for your sources? Everything I can find seems to be book reviews on the subject I'm doing...really annoying..

In that thread the person in question was not, in my opinion, identifiable. If someone is identifiable, then that's where the line is drawn.

Dave! wrote: »

Sweet cheers.

Can someone send me Ann-Marie Longs email address in a pm? Seem to have misplaced all my notes from the beginning of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

• Advertisement

Yeah oddly enough I'm not a complete dolt and tried that but still couldn't get it :p

(Yes I am fully aware if you can get it in Google you'll make me look a complete jack ass but all I can find is what she's studying under the current Graduate Research Students page..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

PM sent!

And so this post isn't a complete derail I'm going to quote something I asked earlier to which no one replied :(

Do you mean other than your saga source(i.e place you got the saga from online)?

If so J-stor no for the different topics(feud, gender etc), James has BB updated with links on feuding/gender. etc in the course info/second five weeks area.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

I meant which databases in particular.. at the moment I'm using Scandinavian Studies and Google Books for sources, had a quick look on Jstor but will look more on the weekend. Going to check his updated list on blackboard too so should have more than enough sources.

And I bought the saga rather than get it online.. hello introduction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

anybody know where to access the Gisli Sursson's Saga online? Couldnt find it on those two sites dave posted and the google search just results in amazon et al links to buy it :O.

It's on the database website mate.

It's called 'Gisla Saga'

That's the one I'm doing :) better start reading it.............

ah! there it is :-)

Thanks a million! Best get started too!

is it just me, or are these translations hilariously poor!

"Well, as soon as this Bjorn heard that Ari had brought home a fair wife with a rich dower, he thought he would have a finger in that pie."

Thats almost inappropriate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Looks like spain and propaganda for me for inter war.

i couldnt be happier this is a take home exam! Would have been tough otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pleased with the large range of choice for the take-home exam.

I'm slightly saddened to have had my last Inter-War seminar today funnily enough. Must be because of that gorgeous brunette in it who I most likely won't get to see again. Crap I better shut up or I'll have to start my own stalker thread. :)

is it just me, or are these translations hilariously poor!

"Well, as soon as this Bjorn heard that Ari had brought home a fair wife with a rich dower, he thought he would have a finger in that pie."

Thats almost inappropriate :)

Some of the translations are a bit odd alright. I have the Penguin version of Gisli and it refers to the two sons of Vestein as "the lads" through out. It should not have made me laugh as much as it did.

Loving the take home exam questions as well, probably going to do the one on film and maybe the propaganda one as well.
    I'm pleased with the large range of choice for the take-home exam.

I'm slightly saddened to have had my last Inter-War seminar today funnily enough. Must be because of that gorgeous brunette in it who I most likely won't get to see again. Crap I better shut up or I'll have to start my own stalker thread. :)

Going by some of your previous posts I think we've been in the same class... thanks for calling me gorgeous ;)

Some of the translations are a bit odd alright. I have the Penguin version of Gisli and it refers to the two sons of Vestein as "the lads" through out. It should not have made me laugh as much as it did.

Loving the take home exam questions as well, probably going to do the one on film and maybe the propaganda one as well.

Going by some of your previous posts I think we've been in the same class... thanks for calling me gorgeous ;)

:eek: I always imagined you as a male for some reason brimmy!

You're a chick? :eek:

I hope you're joking me or I'll be scarleh. :pac:

If Brimmy isn't a bloke then that's my whole world turned upside down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Just like to say how completely fooked i am! Have Inter war, french revolution and Vikings all due on Friday and have only started workin on them today :(

Just like to say how completely fooked i am! Have Inter war, french revolution and Vikings all due on Friday and have only started workin on them today :(

You do know Inter-war and Vikings are for next Friday right?

Pack of savages jumping on me the first sign I'm a girl... Sorry to disappoint anyway I was just trying to be funny :(

Essays aren't till Friday week man so you should be ok! :)

Also which one of you was dossing on boards on the netbook earlier? Busted :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

You do know Inter-war and Vikings are for next Friday right?

Yeah sorry meant to say next Friday

• Advertisement

Also which one of you was dossing on boards on the netbook earlier? Busted :P

:eek:

<.<

>.>

>.<

:o

Prof Kerr got some applause didn't he???

Advertisement