Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Haha should have looked at your face so I know who you are for future reference :P

Yeah Kerr got a good reception. I filled out the form not realizing I had Judith Devlins one and was doing it as if it was for Kerr... I'm a klutz.

Also why am I watching Prison Break when I should be doing Vikings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dang I didn't know they had different forms for each :p I just did it for Kerr. Oh well!

I left some general comments vis-a-vis module choice in stage 3, ie. there is fook all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

What are you guys doing for referencing the online sagas? As there are no page numbers available I presume all we can do is include the chapter number and online source for whatever section of text we wish to reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Just like to say how completely fooked i am! Have Inter war, french revolution and Vikings all due on Friday and have only started workin on them today :(

Inter War take home exam, French Rev. essay, Vikings essay, Islam and Christianity take home exam, and my Spanish exam is on the Saturday.

Cheer up mate, it could be worse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

An essay a day keeps the doctor away. Maybe not but it is possible to do a 2-3,000 worder in one day. It can be tough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

ianthefox wrote: »
    Inter War take home exam, French Rev. essay, Vikings essay, Islam and Christianity take home exam, and my Spanish exam is on the Saturday.

Cheer up mate, it could be worse :)

True enough! You got them done though?

Ha, haven't even started. I usually need the pressure of deadline night to get stuff done, but I guess it's not going to work this time. I've started a bit of reading for two of them though.

I got an A and an A+ in my French Rev and Vikings essays. Chuffed. Haven't seen that letter in a long time ha

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My plan at present goes like this...

- Try to get Political Communication essay done tonight (deadline is Monday)
    - Spend the weekend doing the Gisli Vikings saga essay. (deadline next Friday)
    - Do the take home exam for Inter-war around Tuesday. (deadline next Friday)
    - Spend the last few days doing my Cuchulainn essay for my Sexuality & Society course (deadline next Friday).

- Friday itself = celebrate by buying Football Manager 2009!

- The week after = prepare for exams. Boo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

My plan at present goes like this...

- Try to get Political Communication essay done tonight (deadline is Monday)
    - Spend the weekend doing the Gisli Vikings saga essay. (deadline next Friday)
    - Do the take home exam for Inter-war around Tuesday. (deadline next Friday)
    - Spend the last few days doing my Cuchulainn essay for my Sexuality & Society course (deadline next Friday).

- Friday itself = celebrate by buying Football Manager 2009!

- The week after = prepare for exams. Boo. :)

I made the fatal mistake of buying FM 2009 last Friday when it was released :p

my scheldule

Get inter war take home done by Friday
    French rev done by Monday night
    Saga done by the Friday afternoon (most likely run up the history corridor at a quater to three waving my essay in the air)
    Next weekend do last MDG Assignment

and try and resist the urge of FM 2009.......nearly impossible!

Got back my essays today... B- and B+ for Europe and Vikings respectively! Happy enough with that

Heh, there was a comment by Ed James on my Vikings essay, "...but overall a good, concise (ie. SHORT) account..." :D

• Advertisement

I made the fatal mistake of buying FM 2009 last Friday when it was released :p

Ah you're a brave man! I figured I'd find it too distracting so instead I'm using it as motivation. :D

I got my Inter-war essay back and got a C. Happy enough with that except for the fact I lost marks on silly grammatical stuff. I got my Sexuality and Society essay back too and got a B which was a very pleasant surprise. I'm most proud of my Viking essay mark though. I got an A-. I can't recall the last time I did that well in an essay. I really worked hard on that one so I was chuffed with that.

Now to crack on with my unrealistic ambitious plan to get my Politics essay done tonight. :pac:

Go for another all-nighter and you'll get it done ;) Sure wasn't the last one fun! :D

I'm working on my propaganda essay at the mo

Dave! wrote: »
    Go for another all-nighter and you'll get it done ;) Sure wasn't the last one fun! :D

I'm working on my propaganda essay at the mo

Ah well I'll definitely be doing an all-nighter for one of my essays. They are good fun actually! I like checking the threads and seeing others feeling the same pain as me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Leitrim-Mick

I'm going to leave my Viking Essay till last and hopefully the fear of messing it up will compensate for not having done any work for it. Ne1 doing the Shell Shock Essay for Madness and Civilisation there's a shedload of journals in the Journal of Contemporary History. It's really bloody annoying though because -
    1) For Interwar it's meant to be two essays with no bibliography or footnotes.
    2) For my elective Islam and Christianity it's one 2000 worder with bibliography but no footnotes.
    3) For Madness & Civilisation it's 3000 words with a bibliography and footnotes.

Some consistency would be nice!

Is ne1 doing question 13 for Interwar on the awakening of the masses after the war? I thought i'd do it but i'm struggling to come up with ideas/books/journals

The Viking's first essay, can you get Charlie Doherty's back yet? I went in early today and the nice lady in the office said no, did he put them into his pigeon hole later in the day? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The Viking's first essay, can you get Charlie Doherty's back yet? I went in early today and the nice lady in the office said no, did he put them into his pigeon hole later in the day? Cheers.

He gave them out in seminars. You will probably have to contact him to get it back

He gave them out in seminars. You will probably have to contact him to get it back

Cheers.

Ah, Leitrim Mick, I'm glad to see someone else is doing 3rd year history with Islam and Christianity. Thought I was on my own for a while there.

The bibliography without referencing is practically the same as no bibliography or reference though, you could put down anything like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah, Leitrim Mick, I'm glad to see someone else is doing 3rd year history with Islam and Christianity. Thought I was on my own for a while there.

The bibliography without referencing is practically the same as no bibliography or reference though, you could put down anything like.

Yeah, is that Islam essay really an exam if its that long? Just another essay to me.

Also, by any chance are you in Dr. Colemans tutorial group on Thursdays?

Could someone tell me with regards to the Sagas essay how many sources are required? I've heard it said that ten are required? :eek:

If that's the case where on earth do you get that many sources?

• Advertisement

I've been told 10 which isn't that hard seeing as you can use the core text from the last assignment coupled with articles and blackboard readings..

Also my tutor for InterWar doesn't seem to exist and I want my essay back :(

Holy crap, good thing I read this, cos I wasn't gonna use any sources :confused: lol

I'll have to get cracking on that!

I'm planning on getting both of my Europe essays done today, and then hopefully get my saga read tonight.

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, is that Islam essay really an exam if its that long? Just another essay to me.

Also, by any chance are you in Dr. Colemans tutorial group on Thursdays?

The InterWar one is definitely way more of an exam than the Islam&Christianity one. Hopefully they don't mark it too hard.

Yeah, I was in the 12 o clock class. I'm guessing you were in it too then? Not a great class really...pretty lame he doesn't have all the essays corrected yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The InterWar one is definitely way more of an exam than the Islam&Christianity one. Hopefully they don't mark it too hard.

Yeah, I was in the 12 o clock class. I'm guessing you were in it too then? Not a great class really...pretty lame he doesn't have all the essays corrected yet.

Yeah, only reason I showed up to it was to get it back. Was pretty much sitting beside ya alright, was sitting beside the long-haired dude!

Started typing my Vikings finally and for an essay I was really regreting writing I'm flying through it once I've gotten down to it. Got 1,987 words on a first draft so far and still have a few more pages of notes to go.. Problem I'm having though is that it's all my own words with little reference to the extra reading I have done. Suppose I can go back through it adding quotes to my second draft and moulding it around that but I don't think I'll get up to seven additional sources out of it... I think this is the first essay where I've had TOO much to say... :confused:

"My wallet's too small for my 50s and my diamond shoes are too tight"

:p

I finished 1 Europe essay yesterday, hoping to do the second one today and then read the Viking saga.

...after the Ireland and United matches of course ¬_¬

Dave! wrote: »
    "My wallet's too small for my 50s and my diamond shoes are too tight"

:p

I finished 1 Europe essay yesterday, hoping to do the second one today and then read the Viking saga.

...after the Ireland and United matches of course ¬_¬

So been dossing all day then yeah? :P

I have the Ireland match on as well and I'll have the United match on too.... kind of ruins the one day that I'll have the entire house to myself without having to worry about the parents/brother clowning around and distracting me but just .. can't... turn it..... off..

I'm watching the football too. My aim is to get my politics essay done tonight as I only have an intro thus far.

I might have to head to the library tomorrow and get more books. UCD on a Sunday (shudder). I hope to have another essay out of the way by Monday evening. Then I'll try and turn my attention towards the take-home exam. Then just the saga one left. :o

That's not that bad what you have ahead of you, I plan on having the saga done by tongiht. Hopefully both the take homes by tomorrow night/monday monrning. Then I have to blitz four English essays in a week for Tuesday week...

Thank god I don't have any exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

I had a bit of a freaker earlier, I realised how much work I have to do. Ive got the saga read, so I have a vague idea what I want to talk about. How many sources do they want does anyone know? Ive got 3 at the mo, excluding the saga itself. I have at least 2 more to do so I think I will be ok...but 3000 words is a lot when I think about it. Then Ive got my Sexuality and Society one to do, The take home exam and my Japanese oral and writtens exams this week. Its just too much...:(

Advertisement