Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Ok relax and breathe. It's finals and it'll be over soon :)

We already talked about it in the last page but how many sources is a matter of personal preference. My tutor wants us to use at least 10 but we're allowed use the blackboard and seminar readings coupled with the core text from the previous assignment and the sage itself that really only leaves about 3 or 4 alternative articles we have to search ourselves. Obviously the amount of secondary reading you want to do yourself is a personal preference.

Everyone has a lot of work to do over the next week and it's horrible so just be content that you're not suffering alone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Indeed... I'm struggling too!

Europe essay
    Viking reading and essay
    /get those out of the way and then it's just comp sci to worry about!
    Maths oral exam
    Programming practical
    Probably another maths assignment
    /course work done!
    Then 4 summer exams :) 1 is MCQ, so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

emy-87 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a freaker earlier, I realised how much work I have to do.

Yeah I had a mini-freak last night. On the plus side at least you're at the stage where you know you really need to get the stuff done. Part of me is STILL trying to procrastinate. Why am I still on boards by the way? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Thanks guys, It does make it a little bit better to know that everyone is in the same boat!

10 Sources?! I think I could realistically read 3 or 4 in the time left, and then just speed-read 2 more to find some useful quotes so the 'oul biblography looks half-way decent.

My mind is saying 'go study ffs!' but my body is saying 'The X-Factor is on... have a tea break and watch a little bit...'

Its a tough battle, but I think Egil and Saint Brigit will win. I hope. :rolleyes:

Dave! wrote: »
    Maths oral exam

What the hell?! How can you do a maths oral exam?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Indeed :rolleyes: Tis just I go to the lecturer's office and do a problem on the whiteboard, explaining it along the way!

Not looking forward to it as it is my weakest subject :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Ah, the sweet smell of my impending death over the next week and a half...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What are you all doing being on boards instead of doing your essays.

Oh wait, crap I have shitloads to do:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

emy-87 wrote: »
    What the hell?! How can you do a maths oral exam?! :eek:

I dont want to find out either:p

Dave! wrote: »
    Indeed :rolleyes: Tis just I go to the lecturer's office and do a problem on the whiteboard, explaining it along the way!

Not looking forward to it as it is my weakest subject :(

That is my idea of hell. Good luck with it!! :)

I think a night out will be in order after the exams and stuff, its seriously stressful! What does everyone think? I might get on to the Class Rep and see what he says.

• Advertisement

Why the hell am I watching Superbad?... I'm doing my second draft of the Vikings now though, my goal is to not go to bed until this essay is done.. It's a a weird, weird feeling knowing I'm up at night doing a History essay when I don't have a deadline tomorrow :P

Just gonna finish watching Road Wars... then I start essay 2......

Ahh jayzus, I've just been informed I'm not in work tomorrow as I originally thought..... Now I'm able to do loads of work tomorrow without the distraction of football......

Surely that earns me the night off? :o

Anyone know if there is a reputable online sorce for the Annals or Landnámabók? Just need to confirm something and cite it accordingly and don't feel like trudging through the library first thing Monday morning :)

Any others from an education source? That one looks not the most reliable and hasn't been update in over a year so I'd be a bit weary of using... thanks though :)

I'm at that stage now for my first essay where I feel I have all the notes I need and yet I'm still holding off writing the blooming thing. Take the plunge already!

Anyone doing the Cu Chulainn essay for Sexuality & Society? There doesn't seem to be a lot of books on him in the library.

ha... from blackboard;

And if you get really bored, you can always launch a ship and attack a monastery on the BBC Website, here...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/launch_gms_viking_quest.shtml

That game distracted me for way longer than it should have the other day when I was getting secondary sources... on the plus side though I did figure out the safest, fastest and most reliably effective way to get across and cause as much as harm possible... wonder if I could work that into my essay ;)

Fecking hell I've only just finished my first essay. Haven't slept a wink. Ended up getting 3700 + words. There's no word limit for it thankfully. I should feel more tired than I do. I might be slightly delirious though. I have been giggling like a schoolgirl the last while. Tee hee hee...heh heh heh...mwahahahahaha.

Anyway one down, 3 to go. No more politics essays though...yay.

To do list:

- Sex & Sexuality essay
    - Inter-war take home exam
    - The Erotic Adventures of Gisli essay

Right then, night all. I mean morning all...I mean, ah screw it.

• Advertisement

- The Erotic Adventures of Gisli essay

I got over 3,500 words on my second draft of this puppy. I haven't even added in quotes from my sources or anything yet. I've put it aside now at this stage to do the InterWars and will come back to format it during the week if I have time. It's weird haveing to go back and take away words for once and not add them..

Out of curiosity what did/are you guys doing for the secondary reading for the InterWar essay? I have the Kitchen book and the seminar readings and background readings, I assume that will all give me enough scope to answer the questions or is there a text I should be reading that's better?

Depends on the question really... There's some websites that can be helpful, and I've also been using this a bit: http://jq6am9xs3s.search.serialssolutions.com/

Downloaded a few articles on fascist art from there... haven't looked at them yet though!

Might do an all nighter on Njal's saga tonight, make the rest of the week more bearable as I face off 2 take home exams, 2 essays (4000 & 3000 words respectively) and a bunch of small assignments I've let build up.... But... the 4th will bring freedom. All hail the 4th..

I hear ya

Finished me Europe essays at least! Just gotta get the Viking one done and then it's alllll about the Comp Sci :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

It feels so good to just get one of them done!

Have inter war done and dusted. Reading for French revolution is done jus need to get off boards and start writing it then hopefully crack into that saga tomorrow.

Still haven a clue what theme or saga to do though. Any suggestions?

Hmm just a style question but when you guys are saying 'saga' instead of the full title of 'x saga' etc are you capitalizing the 's' in saga or leaving it lower case? Not sure which looks right..

Brimmy wrote:
    Hmm just a style question but when you guys are saying 'saga' instead of the full title of 'x saga' etc are you capitalizing the 's' in saga or leaving it lower case? Not sure which looks right..

I'm not capitalizing it anyway. I'm such a rebel. :D

I've decided to leave my Viking essay until last so I can compile lots of sources. Tonight I'm going to have a go at my Cuchulainn essay. I'll try and do my interwar take home exam tomorrow. Looks like me and my good pal Gisli will be spending Thursday night together. Yay all-nighters. :cool:

Ok after numerous drafts the best I can seem to do is get Gisli down to 3,250 odd words...not including my footnotes which are pretty extensive in parts...

I figure I'm going to forget about it now till Thursday then re-read (and hopefully re-edit) 200 odd words out or so and I should be ok.

Tonight is going to be reading Interwar Articles and hopefully poping both the bad boys out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Brimmy wrote: »
    Ok after numerous drafts the best I can seem to do is get Gisli down to 3,250 odd words...not including my footnotes which are pretty extensive in parts...

I figure I'm going to forget about it now till Thursday then re-read (and hopefully re-edit) 200 odd words out or so and I should be ok.

Good god.. that is a serious whack of words. I cant see the lads getting any more than 2250 words out of me to be honest. Not helped by the fact I have been quite sick for the last couple of days. Feeling a bit better now so time to rumble on!

On another note, Good to see were well over 1000 replies on this thread now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felletor

get a job, you pack of wasters

Advertisement