Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

why is there always a distraction? why cant there be 3 or 4 hours every day where everything shuts down except scholarly material. If its not the bloody champions league its the cricket..

Having trouble keeping the eyes open is it? :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Brimmy wrote: »
    Why am I confused? :confused:

I was being immature... read the quotes a couple of times more, and think what "it" could refer to apart from your essay...

I'm writing about Spanish Civil War anyway... unsure what else to do. Don't have any of the SU notes with my, and my lecture notes are **** all good, so it has to be something general enough that I can tackle with the Kitchen book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Dave! wrote: »
    Having trouble keeping the eyes open is it? :p:D

Nothing keeps you awake better than a good bit of international cricket. I would defo take a ticket to a test match over any other sport.. 8 hours boozing in the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

passive wrote: »
    I was being immature... read the quotes a couple of times more, and think what "it" could refer to apart from your essay...

I'm writing about Spanish Civil War anyway... unsure what else to do. Don't have any of the SU notes with my, and my lecture notes are **** all good, so it has to be something general enough that I can tackle with the Kitchen book.

Well now I just feel old and out of touch :(

I'm in the same boat as you tbh with the second essay. Thinking of doing the question on film but unsure if I can get enough mileage out of that to get anything better than a (low) C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Why am I confused? :confused:

Cricket? Really? No offence but you know you're bored when cricket becomes a distraction ;)

Also where the hell is Pride Fighter lately, how come he's managing to avoid boards and not be distracted? :(

I also can't make up my mind about which question to do for my second InterWar one... ugh!

I'm hardly a shining light. I may crawl to 3 out of 4 of my assignments due on Friday, I have sent a grovelling email for an extension on the other. I thought I'd get all them done but 11,000 words is too much for me.

• Advertisement

I'm hardly a shining light. I may crawl to 3 out of 4 of my assignments due on Friday, I have sent a grovelling email for an extension on the other. I thought I'd get all them done but 11,000 words is too much for me.

I hear ya! Any tips on grovelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm going to have to get the inter-war exam done tonight or Thursday morning. Then I'll be doing an all-nighter on Gisli's saga.

I'm so fecking stressed out right now!

Also, why am I on boards?!

I'm going to have to get the inter-war exam done tonight or Thursday morning. Then I'll be doing an all-nighter on Gisli's saga.

exact same boat... mbleh...

Ive just hit a brick wall material wise on gisli and ive only 1250 words down. This is ridiculous. I seem to have been stuck on it all bloody week!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Right, Ive got all my sources laid out, all the info I think I need so Im ready to start Egil anyway....but Ive not idea how to actually start it. Being stuck for words at the very start seems to be a bad omen...:(

• Advertisement

emy-87 wrote: »
    Right, Ive got all my sources laid out, all the info I think I need so Im ready to start Egil anyway....but Ive not idea how to actually start it. Being stuck for words at the very start seems to be a bad omen...:(

Sharpen your axe and go settle a blood feud, then come back and write the essay in blood. I think they'll appreciate the extra effort and you'l get an A+ for creativity.

I wrote something resembling a Spanish Civil War essay... It's hard to know how well written and factful this is supposed to be... Exams were always such things of waffle and vaguery, but now we have detail confirmation and revision skillz and time... Too much pressure!!!

I still can't make up my mind on which second InterWar to do. Thankfully I got the Vikings one done already because I knew leaving that till last would have just killed me....you're all so brave..

I spent about 3 hours reading through the Kitchen text and another before compiling some notes then typed the essay in about an hour then went back over it and restructured it for another hour. Came to about 1600 words, I know my tutor said they'd expect them to be roughly in or around 1200 given the time constraints you're meant to follow but I know people who are handing in essays for 2500 words and higher..

Again though it's not down to the length of the essay but the quality so it shouldn't matter how long it is as long as it's good :P

is this 1200 per answer?

is this 1200 per answer?

Yeah it's what my tutor said would be the length they'd be expecting but tbh I imagine everyone will hand them in as proper essays (ie 2500) I know the first one I've done was 1600... still having trouble with the second :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

is this 1200 per answer?

There is no min or max. The way im thinking is, I would usually write about 4-5 pages in an exam and that would really only be 800-1000 in wordcount.

I still can't make up my mind on which second InterWar to do. Thankfully I got the Vikings one done already because I knew leaving that till last would have just killed me....you're all so brave..

Brave? or stupid...

(hint; Stupid!)

I finally got my Cuchulainn one done and dusted.

TWO DOWN!

...and two to go. :(

I think I'll take inter-war notes tonight until about 3 or 4 and then try and write it up tomorrow morning. Then I shall spend all day stressing out about Gisli.

This is too much damn it! :eek:

I finally got my Cuchulainn one done and dusted.

TWO DOWN!

...and two to go. :(

I think I'll take inter-war notes tonight until about 3 or 4 and then try and write it up tomorrow morning. Then I shall spend all day stressing out about Gisli.

This is too much damn it! :eek:

You're an essay ahead of me, but I've only got 3 due on Friday... I'm going to do the 2nd inter war essay tonight (though both will need editting on Friday morn..) then go full on with Njal's saga tomorrow day/night.. I've never done so much reading and preparation for an essay. Not sure how to turn it all into words..

(p.s. We should all meet up for a drink if we survive this...)

(p.s. We should all meet up for a drink if we survive this...)

I'm game for that.. I think we're all going to need it anyway. Would be nice to put a face to a name to all of you and prove I'm not a girl :P

Ugh doing my bibliography for Vikings... making sure ten sources are all done right and added into the right places is so annoying, keep missing stuff... this is why I need to learn how to use Endnote :mad:

On the plus side I can pretty much throw this away in the morning, only need to cite two other things that I haven't got in front of me then steam roll onto InterWar! What questions are you guys doing? Already did the Spanish Revolution and thinking of doing something on the new man/woman/film....can't make up my mind which I know the most about... which isn't a lot..tomorrow is going to be funfunfun!

Yeah it would be good to make a toast to the Vikings eh?

I'm strugglign to stay awake now. Sleep is upon me. I fear I'll be doing two things on Thursday night now which wasn't my plan.

• Advertisement

Best to rest up other than being bolloxed tomorrow when you realize how screwed you are... at least you'll be awake and rested now when you realize you're screwed :P

Pretty much finished my Viking essay which I'm pretty happy with... put a lot of work into this, probably far too much than I should have...oh well..

I've done more or less nothing since I got home from UCD. So current plan is lay out and plan my inter war essay, sleep for 8 hours, write it in the morning, go to UCD and do all the remainder of my Vikings planning and reading, before coming back here to have a coffee filled night of doom writing..

I've done more or less nothing since I got home from UCD. So current plan is lay out and plan my inter war essay, sleep for 8 hours, write it in the morning, go to UCD and do all the remainder of my Vikings planning and reading, before coming back here to have a coffee filled night of doom writing..

Pretty much exactly like my situation. I really feel I'll be heading into college on Friday morning with absolutely no sleep like last time. It's not a pretty situation either! :pac:

Update: Going to go high-risk and change my strategy. I will now in fact leave my take-home exam until last as I feel I'm better equipped to write on that and I reckon I can pull something adequate together. The Gisli saga will now take up the bulk of my thought process on Thursday. Hopefully I can have it pretty mcuh sorted by eleven. Then the all-nighter begins!

Pretty much exactly like my situation. I really feel I'll be heading into college on Friday morning with absolutely no sleep like last time. It's not a pretty situation either! :pac:

Update: Going to go high-risk and change my strategy. I will now in fact leave my take-home exam until last as I feel I'm better equipped to write on that and I reckon I can pull something adequate together. The Gisli saga will now take up the bulk of my thought process on Thursday. Hopefully I can have it pretty mcuh sorted by eleven. Then the all-nighter begins!

Defeated challenge one of rising well before noon.

Now i have 4100 words to bang out today/tonight/tomorrow morning. This is going to be disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have a programming practical at 2 today, so have to be prepared for that.... It's finished at 5, at which point I will go home and spend the night/following morning working on Gisli :( F*CK YOU, COLLEGE!!! F*CK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

ps. I would also be game for a few drinks at some point... probably after exams though ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good luck wit the rest of the essays lads. Only one day to go. Keep it going!

" The same approach was used in films. Films commissioned and authorised for release concentrated on themes such as the Jews, the wonder of Hitler and how to live like a true Nazi. "

quite tempted to throw in here ...

"Far from the cross-generation pixar animated classics we are used to these days"

;)

Dave! wrote: »
    I have a programming practical at 2 today, so have to be prepared for that.... It's finished at 5, at which point I will go home and spend the night/following morning working on Gisli :( F*CK YOU, COLLEGE!!! F*CK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

ps. I would also be game for a few drinks at some point... probably after exams though ¬_¬

What is the craic with exams? Do we get a week study after this and then its exams. If that is so it means we will have a shitload of time off for Xmas:)

What is the craic with exams? Do we get a week study after this and then its exams. If that is so it means we will have a shitload of time off for Xmas:)

Err...surely you know your exam schedule, right? I have no exams, which is why I have roughly 17000 words due between the 28th and the 4th. ^_^

• Advertisement

Passive, I dont look at my exam timetable until I am finished classes. I'll have a look tomorrow.
    Anyway I never told you what saga I am doing. I am doing Eirik the Red's saga. I am taking a bit of a risk as it is not entirely set in Iceland but what the hell. They can suck my flute if they dont like it:pac:

Advertisement