Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Bring back red bull... lots of red bull... I bought giant buttons but I'm afraid to eat them since I'm in the library :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Brimmy wrote: »
    Bring back red bull... lots of red bull... I bought giant buttons but I'm afraid to eat them since I'm in the library :(

You in the laptop area on first floor, by any chance? *starts looking around suspiciously*

also... Everyone else get the email from the vice president? "Help us to improve student sex..."

No I'm hiding up on the fourth floor where we have plugs.. lots of plugs!

I can never find a plug in that area plus it's usually too noisy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Dont do it... Librocop will hunt you down and eat you for breakfast if you do.

so... actual question/advice seeking for a change.

How do you put something in a bibliography if it has no actual author?

"Njal's Saga, Translated by Robert Cook. London, 2001"

Is that alright?

And a few of my sources are from the same authors.. just realised this may be a problem.. I'm using 2 or 3 of the Byock segments from blackboard, and a couple of Ian Miller articles. Do you reckon the Byock items should be collated under the same source in my bibliography, or can I list them seperately as that's how they're presented to us?

Oh, and my tutor pulled me up on not having alphabetized my sources last time, so everyone do that!

(doing bibliography before essay...don't worry guys.)

• Advertisement

Here's the link for the history school citation style, http://www.ucd.ie/history/stylesheet.htm

So it would be like this you'd need to do it;

Books - More than One Author, Translator or Editor
    N. 2. Theodor W. Adorno and Walter Benjamin, The Complete Correspondence, 1928-1940, ed. Henri Lonitz, trans. Nicholas Walker (Cambridge, 1999).
    B. Adorno, Theodor W., and Walter Benjamin. The Complete Correspondence, 1928-1940, edited by Henri Lonitz. Translated by Nicholas Walker. Cambridge, 1999.

So Original author (anonymous?), title, year, editor, translator (city, year).

Also who comes into the library to a eat a packet of crisps? ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

passive wrote: »
    so... actual question/advice seeking for a change.

How do you put something in a bibliography if it has no actual author?

"Njal's Saga, Translated by Robert Cook. London, 2001"

Is that alright?

Oh, and my tutor pulled me up on not having alphabetized my sources last time, so everyone do that!

(doing bibliography before essay...don't worry guys.)

Im putting Author Unknown before 'Njal's saga'

So Original author (anonymous?), title, year, editor, translator (city, year).

Also who comes into the library to a eat a packet of crisps? ffs!
    Im putting Author Unknown before 'Njal's saga'

*looks sheepishly at the empty packet of monster munch beside him* em... I dunno?

And thanks... I was working off the style sheet. It was more the "anonymous/author unknown" thing that was troubling me. I'll probably go with one of them or leave it blank, unless somebody happened to enquire in a tutorial?

Well I assume you haven't spent your duration of time in the library turning on and off your laptop (with the sound on) laughing, coughing every 5 seconds and talking to your mates?

You're not as bad :P

I put my citation down as 'Ólason, Véstein, Gisli Sursson's Saga and The Saga of the People of Eyri. London, 2003' but I'm going to change that probably, put it like that cause he shows up as the author on the front not by anon or anything..

700 words into the Vikings essay. Not too bad so far, but im sure that brick wall is just around the corner :)

• Advertisement

About to finish up my plan then make the long journey home, put the kettle on, and get to it... Think I'll be bussing in tomorrow, for a change. Sleepless nights + coffee+ bicycles + trucks = death.

Have those who have spoken or written about the Easter Rising viewed it as a ‘success story’?
    what a bull**** title. google books isnt serving me as well as it usually does :-(

About to finish up my plan then make the long journey home, put the kettle on, and get to it... Think I'll be bussing in tomorrow, for a change. Sleepless nights + coffee+ bicycles + trucks = death.

See you on the way out ;)

612 words in on my second InterWar essay... I'm not really sure if I'm answering the question though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can Google Books be read for free via the UCD website?

nah - some books just give you a preview (30 pages maybe), some give you nothing (just publishing info and purchasing info!) and some are full view (but they are mostly ****e old books whose copyright has run out).

Dave! wrote: »
    Can Google Books be read for free via the UCD website?

It can be read for free view google....

Unless you want the full entire complete text..

nah - some books just give you a preview (30 pages maybe), some give you nothing (just publishing info and purchasing info!) and some are full view (but they are mostly ****e old books whose copyright has run out).

I've never had a problem with it and found a load of useful books on it tbh..I'd still stick to Jstor etc first though

See you on the way out ;)

612 words in on my second InterWar essay... I'm not really sure if I'm answering the question though...

You might do, but I've no idea what you look like... *sharpens pencil and watches his back...*

make essay go now!!! *montage*

also, my laptop area is full of loud douches, who keep giving each other waves and cheers when someone's laptop makes blaring noises or they drop stuff... They all look.. commercey... except for the insanely hot girl next to me, though I suspect her of being the one who smells strongly of smoke every few minutes. Worth it though.

You might do, but I've no idea what you look like... *sharpens pencil and watches his back...*

make essay go now!!! *montage*

also, my laptop area is full of loud douches, who keep giving each other waves and cheers when someone's laptop makes blaring noises or they drop stuff... They all look.. commercey... except for the insanely hot girl next to me, though I suspect her of being the one who smells strongly of smoke every few minutes. Worth it though.

Take a photo... I'm tempted to go exploring now and challenge you to a pencil joust except I only have a pen.. ther crisp eating girl up here was insanely loud but she's stopped now, only talked loud twice since then and had her phone go off for ages once when she wasn't near her desk...she's also spent the entire time on bebo/facebook/watching videos.... yeah... I should get back to work..

Take a photo...

Can't, she's gone out smoking... And I've no camera... And that's creepy. :P

I'm tempted to go exploring now and challenge you to a pencil joust except I only have a pen..

yeaah... boards isn't helping our work ethic at all. I'm out of here at 11 on the button anyway, so if anybody's heading out then, ten points for spotting me.

• Advertisement

I should go soon, have the unfortunate pleasure of using public transport to get home so have time the buses right.. which is hard at this hour cause they never seem to run at an organized time.

Creepy eh? You used to be cool.

Still haven't started this :( I just haven't got a clue where to begin...

Any pointers? I will pay with sexual favours

Still haven't started this :( I just haven't got a clue where to begin...

Any pointers? I will pay with sexual favours

For the first few hundred words i just was talking about the problems of using sagas as sources and didnt even mention my saga until about 700 words in. Dont know if thats a good thing but it helped the word count anyway

Creepy eh? You used to be cool.

That's a lie and everyone knows it...

And Dave, I'm taking the structural outline someone mentioned a couple of pages back

1/3 historicity of sagas in general (and specificly of your saga if you can)
    1/3 discussion of your topic in general
    1/3 value of your saga to this topic

I can't give you much more of an idea, since I'm only in the process of fleshing that out and linking it to my bibliography... it'll turn into essay form somewhere around 5am...

Personally I went with

1/3rd) Sagas - what they are, problems associated with them
    1/3rd) Feud - What it was, the Viking ideal of it and how it related to society.
    2/3rd) My own saga and how it addressed feud in regards to Iceland in specific etc etc.

And yes I am aware that that's 4/3rds.. I went over the word count and I'm also finished with my InterWar so I'm going to retype it and make sure it's not complete drivel. Later homies :P

Cheers folks, that's helpful! I owe all of ye one sexual favour of your choice! :D

But No, I won't do that.

No, I won't do that.

f*cking cockteasing meatloaf...

Right, I'm off, to my velo! away!

my minds gone into a melt - what time and where are interwar and vikings due in? i presume its around 3 for both in the k block? thanks in advance for confirming this fact

Kind of annoying that I have to submit a first year history essay in at 3 in the c block so theres gonna be 800 little ****ers queing up. gonna have to finish tonight now!

my minds gone into a melt - what time and where are interwar and vikings due in? i presume its around 3 for both in the k block? thanks

I think youve lost it, especially when i see you thanking yourself for answering a question that you posed to yourself. I think you need to get some air

• Advertisement

I think youve lost it, especially when i see you thanking yourself for answering a question that you posed to yourself. I think you need to get some air

all i needed was some confirmation :) you know how it gets when you've been in side all day drinking coffee.

The problem with going outside for fresh air is that it will almost certainly end up with me having a cigarette, thus defeating the purpose of the voyage in the first place!

Advertisement