Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

MNG where you the guy that was playing ping pong between the office and the hand in room around 3?

Handing it in was a bit of a farce, no room to move in that place and people kept tripping over my foot. That being said could have been worse, on my way out I saw that the queue for the first and second years was down the stairs from C and right back to the copy center side of theare L :pac:

Now for English essays on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Monday again..

I think I might take tonight off and do some light reading of medieval plays :D (:()

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

emy-87 wrote:
    The lecturer for Sexuality and Society is really nice, she gave me an extension on the other essay because of family stuff. She is actually really sound and understanding so Id say you will be grand!

Yeah she's a nice person. The seminars were really relaxed as well. Were you in my one by any chance? The one which was pretty much like tribal warfare with the guys on one side and the girls on the other? :pac:
    Brimmy wrote: »
    MNG where you the guy that was playing ping pong between the office and the hand in room around 3?

No I was gone by then. I didn't see that guy. Was he playing on his own or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

That being said could have been worse, on my way out I saw that the queue for the first and second years was down the stairs from C and right back to the copy center side of theare L :pac:

They didnt seem to be very efficient in the 1st and 2nd year section. I was doing a 2nd year history elective this year and had to submit that there. It was around 1.30 and about 15 students lurking around submitting and completing cover sheets etc. There were 2 separate queues, one for 1st years and the other for 2nd. Went up to the 2nd one found the History of Dublin sheet and notice that the first page of surnames started with F :confused: For some reason the a-e page was in the first year folder and they only had one copy so i had to delay the 1st years submitting their stuff by a minute. If that kind of stuff kept on happening throughout the day i can easily imagine queues down to copi print

No I was gone by then. I didn't see that guy. Was he playing on his own or what?

No idea but from what I could make out of it the guy didn't have two copies of the essay so the tutors wouldn't accept it, he then tried handing it into the office and they wouldn't accept it making him go back to the tutors who sent him back to the office and this happened another two or three times, he then disappeared, came back and the same thing happened all over again... bit weird.

Yeah I don't understand why they don't have the system that they had for us in first year with a deadline every 2 hours for 1st, 2nd and 3rd years last..seemed to work no problem.

Also the printer ran out of paper just as i went to print my Vikings essay at around half 2, bit annoying... funny part was two of the guys in Daedalus were doing their InterWar essays and seemed to have only started typing them! :eek:

Also is it just me or has anyone ever noticed the sheer amount of strangers when handing in an essay? I only ever see like 2 people in the core history when handing in essays and the rest just must be electives or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Yeah she's a nice person. The seminars were really relaxed as well. Were you in my one by any chance? The one which was pretty much like tribal warfare with the guys on one side and the girls on the other?

In the Ag Science building? Yeap! Im not one of the Americans though, I was one of the Irish girls with dark hair and red coat. Yeah the seminars were grand, I found them to be the most relaxed Ive ever been in really.:)

• Advertisement

emy-87 wrote: »
    In the Ag Science building? Yeap! Im not one of the Americans though, I was one of the Irish girls with dark hair and red coat. Yeah the seminars were grand, I found them to be the most relaxed Ive ever been in really.:)

Oh cool you must have been in my seminar then. I can't remember a girl in a red coat though. Were you near the back mostly? Yeah the American girls used to sit up the front as I recall. It was funny how organised that group was in comparison to our group!

I used to sit up near the front mostly and wore a dark black coat. I must say I won't miss the Ag Science building. As the stand-in lady said one week, the room looked one of the most poorly designed in the college. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No idea but from what I could make out of it the guy didn't have two copies of the essay so the tutors wouldn't accept it, he then tried handing it into the office and they wouldn't accept it making him go back to the tutors who sent him back to the office and this happened another two or three times, he then disappeared, came back and the same thing happened all over again... bit weird.

That's just stupid. If you're supposed to submit 2 copies of the essay, then just print out one and photocopy the other. It's not that much hassle! Last time I submitted essays there were so many people who didn't seem to understand that 2 copies were needed and they just kept holding things up and a huge queue built up as a result. Eventually one of the guys behind me just told him to cop on, photocopy his essay and come back up when he had 2 copies. Was kinda funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I got there at about 1.30pm and there was no queues anywhere :)

convert wrote: »
    That's just stupid. If you're supposed to submit 2 copies of the essay, then just print out one and photocopy the other. It's not that much hassle! Last time I submitted essays there were so many people who didn't seem to understand that 2 copies were needed and they just kept holding things up and a huge queue built up as a result. Eventually one of the guys behind me just told him to cop on, photocopy his essay and come back up when he had 2 copies. Was kinda funny!

I always just print two copies when I'm at the printer.. easier than photocopying it out and not that much more expensive. This is what was happeneing with this guy, I agree though you're right, it was stupid. I don't get how people haven't realized you need two copies by now, its been that way since first year.

What is the second copy for anyway out of curiosity? I always assumed one went to the tutor and the other to the lecturer or was put aside in case they ever needed to reference/check it with another essay.. anyone know exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnny Marr

Hi 3rd years,

I'm in 2nd year and I missed the deadline yesterday for one of my 6 essays.:mad:

Can I just hand it into the history office on Monday?? Or Is it even open this week? Applying for extension is just for if your sick etc. right?

Sorry if this is a silly question but my tutor is away for a few days and is'nt answering her emails. I only got an automatic response telling me she's away and to look at blackboard.

• Advertisement

The office is close duntil Monday. You'll be docked 10% (2 grade points so if you got a B you'll go to a C+ or a C+ to a C- etc),

If you were sick and it prevented you from getting in to college or contacting your lecturer or tutor, or if you contacted her and didn't get a reply you could get an extension. But if it was just a matter of missing a deadline unfortunately you will be docked the marks.

If you're supposed to submit 2 copies of the essay, then just print out one and photocopy the other. It's not that much hassle!

I'd beg to differ. :o

I think the reason for the confusion this time was that the last time essays were due only one was needed for several subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*intrudes*

Don't suppose any of you are in the library and have a dell charger you'd be willing to loan to a moderator in need? Have to grab some files off my laptop... >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I was handing in my 1st year elective essay to the 1st floor on the c block right after putting in my vikings and interwar essays in kblock.

Got to block c at around 2.25, real short q so i decided to go for a ciggy. came back five minutes later and it was half way down the stairs. 10-15 minute wait.

At 2.55 i was back walking around that area and it had almost reached from the block C entrance all the way back to theatre L. Bloody Chaos! Glad i got it in when i did!

Raphael wrote: »
    *intrudes*

Don't suppose any of you are in the library and have a dell charger you'd be willing to loan to a moderator in need? Have to grab some files off my laptop... >.<

Afraid not, go to the serviec desk in the library and ask to borrow one though. The laptop loan scheme is all dells so I'd imagine they might have a few chargers knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Raphael wrote: »
    *intrudes*

my plan for the day involved being in the library, so i should have been able to help.. but I was still in bed when you posted this, and decided to cancel the UCD trip. Slept for 15 hours to catch up on the previous night... Hope you found one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Didn't and am now leaving. Oh wells.

I meant to go to the library today but decided a lie on would have been better... maybe tomorrow..

I'd beg to differ. :o

I think the reason for the confusion this time was that the last time essays were due only one was needed for several subjects.

Seriously, grow up! Did you look on blackboard or ask your tutors? As Brimmy said, it's been this way since first year.

Brimmy: the second copy is being kept on file incase an external examiner or second internal examiner wants to have a look at it. It seems to happen quite a bit. Apparently all assignments are kept for 2 or 3 years - i.e.if you're in second year it's kept till a year after you graduate.

Brimmy: the second copy is being kept on file incase an external examiner or second internal examiner wants to have a look at it. It seems to happen quite a bit. Apparently all assignments are kept for 2 or 3 years - i.e.if you're in second year it's kept till a year after you graduate.

Ah I always assumed that was it.. pretty extensive collection though!

So.... anyone else still dying with assignments? :(

• Advertisement

Seriously, grow up! Did you look on blackboard or ask your tutors? As Brimmy said, it's been this way since first year.

Eh what? Are you on crack?

As I said already, when the last essays were due for some subjects only one paper was needed. It's reasonable to think the same would apply the second time around.

You having a bad day? :rolleyes:

But there were 2 copies of the essay required last time, it just happened that one was to be submitted electronically, though that didn't really work. I know lots of people who wound up handing in 2 hard copies because blackboard wouldn't let them submit, or because it let them "submit" the essay without it being attached.... Typical UCD style technology!!! :rolleyes:

Ah I always assumed that was it.. pretty extensive collection though!

So.... anyone else still dying with assignments? :(

*sigh* unfortunately - another two this week. although on the plus side ive completed 8/10 essays due this semester.

On the negative side, once ive finished these remaining ones it will be straight into the study buzz

yet another thursday night, with more frantic essay typing for the imminent deadline. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

yet another thursday night, with more frantic essay typing for the imminent deadline. Anyone else?

What deadline? Is our agony not over?

What deadline? Is our agony not over?

Politics... Anglo-Irish Agreement *sigh*

1 more for Monday and a portfolio that isn't due till the 19th..

Hope you're not up all night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

English essay due last Tuesday... Just couldn't do it between the other 5 deadlines =(. So late penalty, and not free like I should be... *cry*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rubyroo

Same boat as me passive, should be finished but have to finish a late english essay. There were just two many seminar deadlines on the one day!

• Advertisement

Which English ones? I managed to get all of mine in, one suffered greatly form it though, ended up leaving out three of the points I wanted to make in it in order to get it in before the deadline :(

Other one I got an extension for which is due on Monday, got to finish the readings for it and do my essay plan tomorrow before getting it all typed up on Sunday. I'm determined to get something in well before 5 minutes of the deadline this semester :D

Advertisement