Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

First day back, this thread deserves a bump for us to talk about History:).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Thoughts on this mornings lecture?

I thought twas hilarious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Deco never fails to deliver!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Hmmmmm Declan harps on about reading and how he insists on not putting lecture notes online yet for each book he named this morning there is ONE copy in the library and one of them is missing!! Now if thats not hypocracy I don't know what is :(

Do you think the Book List for Asia and Australia will go up on Blackboard? The class isnt even listed on mine. I have a feeling he is a bit of a luddite so he might not. I hope he will though, I wasnt taking notes this morning! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Hmmmmm Declan harps on about reading and how he insists on not putting lecture notes online yet for each book he named this morning there is ONE copy in the library and one of them is missing!! Now if thats not hypocracy I don't know what is :(

I don't think anyone knows what hypocracy is... And yeah, ridiculous policy, and then to go slagging the douchebag who sneaked out halfway through to take out the only copy of the book ;). Pfft... sociology!

Ahem... If anyone wants to help with the logistics I could photocopy the relevant chapters and we could distribute them around so more than me can do the reading. Hopefully this new fella will be influenced by some other lecturers or come up with his own opinion on notes/blackboard. Whatever about lecture notes themselves; readings should be made available in the SU photocopy shop when the library resources are woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Just bought the 3 books there online for a combined total of just under 30 euro which is great as I'd much rather have the books themselves than have to panic and rely on the library resources.

Got the Giffard one for 4.50ish from a play trader and the other 2 (Iriye and Harvey) from abebooks for 25 euro total with shipping. Guess I'm going to have to do a question on Japan in the test now as well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

passive wrote: »
    I could photocopy the relevant chapters and we could distribute them around so more than me can do the reading. readings should be made available in the SU photocopy shop when the library resources are woefully inadequate.
    I'm not sure what the rules are here but from another library i learned you can't photocopy from a published text book because of copyright laws unless you have permission from publisher or auther,
    i'm not say don't copy them by all means do but it might be the reason why readings aren't available in the SU photocopy shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

shanegj wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the rules are here but from another library i learned you can't photocopy from a published text book because of copyright laws unless you have permission from publisher or auther,
    i'm not say don't copy them by all means do but it might be the reason why readings aren't available in the SU photocopy shop

Hmm... Does that apply to college libraries though/for academic use? They seem to have all kinds of everything in the SU shop, and I wouldn't have assumed all the lecturers and tutors formally apply for it... Anyway; if anyone wants I can copy the first few chapters for someone, and they in turn can pass it on to other people. Hoping to read it this afternoon or tomorrow anyway so it should be back soon enough.

Oh.. also; anyone going to this history class later who has a new style nokia charger? the little ones? didn't make it home after my birthday, and have lost contact with the outside world... would be very very grateful if i could use one in class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

passive wrote: »
    Hmm... Does that apply to college libraries though/for academic use? They seem to have all kinds of everything in the SU shop, and I wouldn't have assumed all the lecturers and tutors formally apply for it...
    I know it applies at WIT but the lecturers told use to photocopy stuff anyway its only if the publisher finds out somehow, then you might be in trouble with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

shanegj wrote: »

As far as I know, you can photocopy less than 10% of a text without being in breach of copyright. May have changed in the last while, though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I did find it interesting the way he mentioned that he was aware of what happened last year when he emailed his notes to those who attended lectures last year. I recall quite a few posts on this thread of people looking for said notes. I think we're being watched :)

Hey does anyone know if there is a reading for the first seminar for 21st Century America? There's none on Blackboard

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was anyone else at The Irish Experience lecture today. I had a seminar on it too although I'm still not sure if I'll like it. An essay in week 6 me no likey.

Was there anything we need to read for the first Asia seminar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Irish experience. Dr. Cox LOL.

Was there anything we need to read for the first Asia seminar?

I'm wondering that myself. Also is that course not up on Blackboard? It's not available on mine so I hope I'm not alone on that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if there is a reading for the first seminar for 21st Century America? There's none on Blackboard

I will be claiming ignorance to any knowledge of having to do readings for the first seminars. Dont fancy reading ****loads in the first week back!

I'm wondering that myself. Also is that course not up on Blackboard? It's not available on mine so I hope I'm not alone on that. :o

Yeah I dont have it either. Im wondering how he is going to put the reading lists etc. up like he said he would! Maybe he will give them out in seminars or something. Speaking of which, I checked in the SU copy shop, there is nothing for that course left in there, so I dunno what the story is with the Readings for this week!

Happy days... no 21st C America seminar today. That means I have a 4 1/2 hour break before my next class :( Think I'll go for a nap in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Okay just got my ass out of Medieval Gender Politics ;)

Doing modern Ireland instead. Had a very interesting first seminar. Good debate which i havent had in a seminar since second year.

emy-87 wrote: »
    Yeah I dont have it either. Im wondering how he is going to put the reading lists etc. up like he said he would! Maybe he will give them out in seminars or something. Speaking of which, I checked in the SU copy shop, there is nothing for that course left in there, so I dunno what the story is with the Readings for this week!

Did you have a seminar for the course today? I had mine and we were told that they haven't finished settin it up on Blackboard but that everything should be up by the end of the week. It was funny how so many people were in the wrong class but unusually for me I found myself in the right place for once.

The Irish Experience seems to be a very well organised course, all the readings on Blackboard, no excuses really! As for Asia and Australia I'm still slightly unclear on how we are to prepare for seminars, will we have to buy packs from the SU photocopying centre like for Interwar Europe last semester? I also have one book on Japan and will have the Giffard book early next week so if anyone needs chapters from them ill help out too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

When are the essays for Wentworth to Cromwell and Downeys course due? Not up on blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

So has anyone gone to the Asia/Australia seminars yet? Was there reading required?

I had my one today, yeah. I have the man himself, Deco :cool: It was just an introductory thing, he went through the course, etc. I believe he said the readings for the next few seminars will be on Blackboard. He had a bit of a rant about how the IT people are sh*t, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Dave! wrote: »
    I had my one today, yeah. I have the man himself, Deco :cool: It was just an introductory thing, he went through the course, etc. I believe he said the readings for the next few seminars will be on Blackboard. He had a bit of a rant about how the IT people are sh*t, etc.

I believe he called them technocrats in my tutorial :cool:

The Asia and Australia course is now on Blackboard

What were the reading details for the Asia and Australia seminar? I know its about Seigo Takamori but I dont know what book or journal we need to read. Anyone know?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think there's an exact reading as such, last week our tutor told us that seminars were more going to be like a second lecture so im guessing doing any reading for them would only be to better yourself in preparation for it and not as something you'll be examined on

Advertisement