Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

For Wentworth to Cromwell, is the reading for the second seminar the 'Briver 2' document thats on blackboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I wouldn't think there's an exact reading as such, last week our tutor told us that seminars were more going to be like a second lecture so im guessing doing any reading for them would only be to better yourself in preparation for it and not as something you'll be examined on

Famous last words....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm slowly making my way through the Irish reading... The book shop are out of the Asia book, so I haven't looked at that yet. Hopefully they'll have it by Monday.

I went to the SU place to get my 21st Century America readings... Could barely pick the folder up, there was so much :o Said f*ck it, I'll miss it this week. I wasn't gonna pay €8 for somethin I wasn't gonna read :p

Oh dear :o I'm in the library reading for the Irish Experience -- the only seminar I was planning on attending this week -- and I get an email saying it's cancelled this week!

Now I'm gonna feel guilty as f*ck for not going to the others :( So has it been discovered whether there's prescribed readings for the Asia/Australia seminars? I'm gonna buy the book for that now, got a text message saying they've gotten it back in.

Oh well, I guess I'll concentrate on the Computer Science this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

What were the reading details for the Asia and Australia seminar? I know its about Seigo Takamori but I dont know what book or journal we need to read. Anyone know?

Its on the reading list ( cant remember)! But if you still have pyle or done Asian Tigers last year, both will be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is it worth my while getting the 'Japan Among the Powers' book if my essay question isn't going to be on Japan? I've decided to do mine on China as I've been reading a good book on it and as I understand it the latter portion of the course is on Australia, so is it worth it to shell out around €19 for a book that I won't be basing my essay on? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is it worth my while getting the 'Japan Among the Powers' book if my essay question isn't going to be on Japan? I've decided to do mine on China as I've been reading a good book on it and as I understand it the latter portion of the course is on Australia, so is it worth it to shell out around €19 for a book that I won't be basing my essay on? Thoughts?

I had my seminar there yesterday and Downey said it was an essential texts and also that for seminars there will be no specific reading but you are expected to read through Japan among the Powers.

Basically the entire bibliography is your seminar readings!

What are the seminars like then, delta_bravo? In other classes it's obviously about a particular text, and you discuss it, etc. So does he just talk for the whole time or does he expect a response, even though we ( well, I !) don't know sh*t about Japan?

Dave! wrote: »
    What are the seminars like then, delta_bravo? In other classes it's obviously about a particular text, and you discuss it, etc. So does he just talk for the whole time or does he expect a response, even though we ( well, I !) don't know sh*t about Japan?

Its not your traditional split into 2 and attempt to talk for 10 minutes and then someone is forced to talk. Its basically a 2nd lecture but with a bit more engagment with the class

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

convert wrote: »
    Famous last words....

Haha I was right basically a second lecture, not even a mention of a reading so happy days! But like I said to better yourself you should be reading the Giffard book

• Advertisement

I guess I'll get it then but I ain't happy about it. :D

well? how did we get on.

I seriously regret attending only 4 tutorials all semester, i would have had quite decent results otherwise!

I got Bs all round except for Vikings where I got an A-. Really happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

So Deco has decided to 'turn the heat up' with some debate in class. Should be interesting. Was wondering how the participation marks were going to be allocated.

ahh sh*te... was planning on going this week.... perhaps I won't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Missed the lecture this morning.

Anyone care to tell me what it was about? :P

Also missed it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Basically tutorial will be split into two groups. Have to look at the pro and con side to the World War Two peace treaty for Japan. The title of the seminar is Winning the Peace: Premier Yoshida the Japanese Talleyrand. Do a bit of reading on this Yoshida guy and the end of the war and should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Everyone else just get the lovely email? I love that nobody spoonfeeds us by providing say 40-50 pages of relevant material (per seminar, even, I'm not being lazy here :P) in the SU photocopy shop... my infinite magical wallet and our wonderfully stocked library, which holds several hundred copies (not, say, 2) of the core and secondary texts, mean that would be entirely absurd...

Anyone else get a letter from Aldous saying that you were in the top x% of the class in semester 1 and to come along to a graduate programme session next week?

• Advertisement

Yeah, top 52% for me, I'm having it framed and mounted :p

I somehow have the feeling everyone got that who qualified for a 2:1 or was just short of it..

College must be desperate to get the money from the masters students in ;)

Brimmy wrote: »
    I somehow have the feeling everyone got that who qualified for a 2:1 or was just short of it..

College must be desperate to get the money from the masters students in ;)

Yeh i would say so, according to the letter I was in the top 24% and I was thinking there that in terms of numbers that probably at least 80 students with higher grades than me so it is to encourage people to consider graduate programmes. Saying that though, I did feel quite happy when i got it :)

Lol it was a nice little ego boost, especially to show the mother :pac:

Out of curiosity anyway what are you guys all planning on doing next year? End of the line or do you want to go on for an MA? I'm really interested in doing one in Irish/Anglo Drama for English my other major and haven't really looked at the History choices. There was a nice one run simultaneously with the Clinton Institute though for Media and Foreign Relations I might look into..

Brimmy wrote: »
    Lol it was a nice little ego boost, especially to show the mother :pac:

+1

Been a while since I've seen my mother that proud. :pac: Also got a handshake from my Dad which in my house is the equivalent of a hug from an American family. :D
    Brimmy wrote:
    Out of curiosity anyway what are you guys all planning on doing next year? End of the line or do you want to go on for an MA?

I'm thinking of staying on if I have the results. I don't wanna face that nasty recessiony world just yet! But if I can't get a grant I think I'm done as I don't fancy putting my family in debt on my account.

pah... nerds.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I got the last copy of Giffard the campus bookshop will have for a month:).
    That is unfortunate for those trying to get it but a lot of people already got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

pah... nerds.

;-)

+1! I didnt get a letter :( oh well, Im not planning to do the masters anyway, Im thinking of doing Post-Grad in Primary school teaching myself! Though I'll have to keep my options open I think with that one! :rolleyes: So you never know.

What essays are people doing for Asia and Australia by the way?

Any of you good people doing 21st C America? Have ye been to any seminars?

I haven't been to any yet :( Was just not gonna bother, but it seems we have to give in our essays in the seminar of whatever week it is! Dunno if it'd cause a problem if I just showed up to that having not attended before... So I'm planning on going to the Wednesday one!

What are the seminars like?

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Any of you good people doing 21st C America? Have ye been to any seminars?

I haven't been to any yet :( Was just not gonna bother, but it seems we have to give in our essays in the seminar of whatever week it is! Dunno if it'd cause a problem if I just showed up to that having not attended before... So I'm planning on going to the Wednesday one!

What are the seminars like?

They're not bad. Quite large, about 20/30 people in it easily. He just gives in a sign out sheet and it just focuses on discussion of the 3 documents or whatever was the reading for that week.

Advertisement