Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Anybody know the length and date the From Wentworth to Cromwell essay is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

What was the topic for this weeks readings in seminars, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brimmy wrote: »
    What was the topic for this weeks readings in seminars, anyone know?

The Asia & Australia one? I'm not sure about that one myself.

Anyone attend the history MA discussion thingy today? I'm starting to warm to the idea of doing another year I must say.

There was one on Archives that looked to have good career prospects but I'm not sure that's the route I see my life taking.

Yeah for the Asia & Australia sorry.

I went to the talk for a few minutes but got there just as it was winding down. Found out a bit about the International Relations module which looks decent, if I'm going to do one in History though I'd rather have it more US centric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was actually looking at some posters in the Clinton Institute... the masters programmes there look appealing!

http://www.ucdclinton.ie/academicprogrammes_ma.html

"MA in Media and Conflict"

Compulsory

* Media & US Foreign Policy
    * Imaging International Conflict
    * Power & Projection: The Foreign Policy of the Bush Administration
    * Visual Ethnography
    * Research Skills
    * Dissertation

Optional Modules

* Journalism: Reporting International Conflict
    * America & Globalization
    * America in the 21st Century
    * Theoretical Underpinnings of the History of International Relations
    * Geopolitics
    * Equality and the Media
    * Images of America

Interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I stole some free chocolate and biccies, I got there too late to get any tea. I wont be doing a masters in history, I will do a masters in Classics though.

There was chocolate? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ceisteanna

Guys, is the arts degree in UCD a BA Hons?

ceisteanna wrote: »
    Guys, is the arts degree in UCD a BA Hons?

Yes, it is a level 8 qualification, an honours degree.

Yay :D

How are ye gettin on with your essays lads (and... others) ?

I'm making my way through my Irish essay! I'm about half way done and on 800+ words, so for the first time EVAR I don't think I'll be struggling for word-count :eek: I'm doing the emigration essay. BTW anyone who's doing this there is a good book called 'the Slow Failure' by Mary Daly that I am using. Good bit of information about the Commission, migration, etc.

After this (hopefully next couple of hours) I'll start working on a Comp Sci report, which will be mainly gibberish and waffle. 3 pages though! I'll just get planning that I think.

Then I'll move on to my American history essay. 1000 words, 30%! :eek: Niceeee. I'm doing it on the Vietnam war (opposition to/protests against it). I don't have any books for that or anything, so I'm just gonna read through wikipedia and draw out a plan/structure which I will then get books for on Monday.

The problem one will be (shock horror, a Downey course :mad: ) Asia..... I don't know sh*t about Japan still ! I printed off a load of sh*t on Mao, so might do that essay. Else I'm thinking the Anglo-Japanese treaty question looks fairly straightforward.

Any tips? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Irish essay is coming along nicely, staying in tonight so I'm going try and finish it off tonight. Japanese wont get a look in till the week its due, my attendance for that course is shocking (and between street fighter and a weekend trip to Sweden to visit are comrade Tom 65, I doubt ill make any more) so I need to bring the goods. I swear I am going to everything for Australia as I know less about that than Japan and theirs an exam on it! (God I hate that module... and here was me complaining about Vikings...).

I like the Asia and Australia one, Downey gets some good debate going. I only missed the 1 seminar due to snow. I have not started any essays though. I am starting my Italian history one first.

Finished my essay, footnotes and all :D A Friday night well spent! And money saved too :D

Getting an English one knocked out tomorrow and starting the Irish History on Sunday..

What's the exact date for that anyway? I remember hearing in the lecture it was pushed back to Week 7 but which day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ceisteanna

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So ye won't be up doing all-nighters this time around? I know its not fun to laugh at, but they really do make me laugh when ye were talking bout it here. My turn next year eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure I will be ;)

ianthefox wrote: »
    Oh, don't worry, I'm sure I will be ;)

How many do ye have to do now for before Week 7? In joint major that I'm doing, I only have 3, and one is finished, so never have had the all-night experience.

I've three essays due on week 7, but I won't be starting them yet because I'm studying for the two exams I have next week.

ianthefox wrote: »
    I've three essays due on week 7, but I won't be starting them yet because I'm studying for the two exams I have next week.

Good luck with them. Guess ya won't be saying Hurrah for all-nighters then?

• Advertisement

Not quite! I hate them. I'm just an idiot that never manages to get them done early. You seem to have gotten the hang of it by 2nd year, good work!

Yeah but its always difficult to slot essays between tutorial/other work seemlessly. But due my laziness this week, I only went to 4 hours of lectures, so was home mostly and got more work done than before, so its only reason I'm ahead now.

Yeah me too! I didn't go in yesterday, so had loads of time to work on the essay, and thus got it done! It's alot more manageable when there's no lectures

Yeah that is sweet, but also have project work to do myself:(. I'll end up spending most of the week doing nothing...better get writing this eesay now:D

So does anyone know what day the Irish Essay is due in for?...

Lads anyone know if it is a reading week for The Irish Experience course? I got the email saying the reading week for Asia & Oz was put back to week 7 but is that the case for Irish Exp. also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Anybody know the length and date the From Wentworth to Cromwell essay is due?

*bump* :-)

So no one knows when the Irish Experience essay is due?...

Blackboard says week 6, presumably the end.

However I coulda sworn I saw an announcement or email that said it was due week 7...

Dunno mate. Maybe email the tutor? I might do so if I remember to

In other news, took out 4 books on the Vietnam war today, since the essay is only 1000 words I reckon I'll easily get it done tomorrow! Just gotta keep putting off the Asia one and it'll eventually go away... :o

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    However I coulda sworn I saw an announcement or email that said it was due week 7...

Yep that's right. Just checked the email now:
    Please note that the date for submission has been changed from week 6 to week 7.

That's a relief as I haven't started any of my essays yet. Going to try and get the Asia one done this week. Can't have any more late night last minute shenanigans this time. :pac:

Advertisement