Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Well that's a relief. I wasn't sure if I had imagined him saying it was pushed back a week and if that meant this week or next!

I'm doing my Asia one over the weekend. Plan on popping the American one out in a day, shouldn't be too bad.

Not to be a nuisance but did anyone find out if it's reading week for the Irish Experience too? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brimmy wrote: »
    Not to be a nuisance but did anyone find out if it's reading week for the Irish Experience too? :P

I think next week is the reading week. My tutorial is tomorrow for it.

Have you all made a decision on what document you're basing your essay on? My tutor last week advised against doing last week's one on the census as he reckoned it was pretty dull. I'd tend to agree.

I've been checking a few of them online and none of them really caught my eye. Any suggestions?

Guess I'm getting up early so.. :(

Think I'm going to do the one from week 4. The one on the Third Royal Commission for the Conditions of the Poor as I find it interesting and kind of already started on it.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought the emigration one wasn't bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

There's no seminar reading for week 6 in the Irish experience so am I right to assume there's no seminar/lecture this week?

• Advertisement

Yes

Finished U.S. History essay :cool:

Will give back the books tomorrow and then begin the painful task of doing the Asia essay :( There seems to be f*ck all books for that in the library btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Is anyone else in Scripts, Scribes and Scholars? Essay is due Monday, but I don't actually know what it is, and can't find the info online anywhere... fun times...

(Edit: Or if you know anybody at all who does it. It's reaaallly important that I find out tomorrow what the essay is. The lecturer is away tomorrow too, and the blackboard site is completely empty. I'll be your friend forever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

3 essays due on Friday, one the following Monday. Bollox.

Anyway we should rate this thread, so many responses it deserves 5 stars:D:D

4 essays due in this week. 2 Wednesday. 2 Friday.

Should get started right after Dewey Cox is over..

• Advertisement

I've 2 essays for Friday, the Asia one and the Irish Exp. one. Gonna try and have the Asia one done by Sunday evening.

Does anyone know the minimum number of sources we have to use for essays? Is it 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

passive wrote: »
    Is anyone else in Scripts, Scribes and Scholars? Essay is due Monday, but I don't actually know what it is, and can't find the info online anywhere... fun times...

(Edit: Or if you know anybody at all who does it. It's reaaallly important that I find out tomorrow what the essay is. The lecturer is away tomorrow too, and the blackboard site is completely empty. I'll be your friend forever!)

Sometimes, just sometimes going to lectures and seminars actually does help!!!! :D

Re number of sources for essays, I think it's a minimum of 5 - 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

convert wrote: »
    Sometimes, just sometimes going to lectures and seminars actually does help!!!! :D

Cheers for that =P. I've got about 70% lecture attendance, 100% seminar...but the essay was handed out weeks back and I had lost it. Fortunately I found it, realised the essay isn't due 'til next week and got a couple of sources... so if I can just get these other essays out of the way I should have breathing room soon enough.

convert wrote: »

Really? Damn. JStor ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

4 essays due in this week. 2 Wednesday. 2 Friday.

Should get started right after Dewey Cox is over..

Two for wednesday? Strange time to hand in essays! Presume they're not history!!

Ive three for friday - about half way through the Irish Experience which i will be finishing tonight.

Tomorrow and half of Wednesday for Asia and Australia and then the rest for the Cromwell essay! Big week :-(

One is the US in the 20th Century. The other is English.

Think I'll be skipping the Irish Experience classes tomorrow in favour of doing the essays.

Just finished my Asia and Oz essay. Still have to do the footnotes and all that jazz but the essay itself is done. I have three days to do the Irish Exp. one. I'm not looking forward to this one. Still haven't decided what I'm doing it on. I reckon I might take Wednesday off to try and get it completed.

I'm still putting off starting my Asia and Oz one :(

I really don't have a clue about it ! And I can only find 2 useful books on Japan ! And one economics one...

ffs

I plan on possibly doing an all night thursday for either the Asia or Irish Experience.

Won tickets to an advance screening of Watchmen tomorrow so it can't be helped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

The wording of the Asia essay I chose is starting to worry me now ! I have done a bit of work on it but am thinking of changing it !
    "Why was the Anglo-Japanese Treaty of 1903 so significant ?"
    I presume this is the same as the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of January 1902 (which is what my essay is based on) and not some trick question about an obscure treaty to do with importing sushi to Britain :D I really should have gone to more lectures :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Wacko wrote: »
    The wording of the Asia essay I chose is starting to worry me now ! I have done a bit of work on it but am thinking of changing it !
    "Why was the Anglo-Japanese Treaty of 1903 so significant ?"
    I presume this is the same as the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of January 1902
    (which is what my essay is based on) and not some trick question about an obscure treaty to do with importing sushi to Britain :D I really should have gone to more lectures :(

this is confusing me also - anybody know what the buzz is?

Is anyone doing the Irish Exp. essay on Somerville and the railway? I was considering it since it looks short enough.

1,000 words are ridiculous. You can't go into any depth at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Yeah, I'm currently wondering how I'm going to tackle this one on Vietnam's legacy...

I think I'm going to just stick to the line of US exceptionalism, and how Vietnam put American credibility into question, and that after that it's been a struggle between the two which led to the disaster of the Iraq war ... or some ****e.

How'd you go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

1,000 words are ridiculous. You can't go into any depth at all..

Irish Exp is 1500-2000

Does anyone know the name of the Irish Exp. tutor who does the 3pm class on Tuesdays? He has a beard? I thought I had his name written down but I don't. :o

Something Doolin is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

think it's Denis Doolin. bearded character. doesn't actually like social history. think he's your man.
    anyone else up for an all-nighter? 2 essays due wednesday, 2 for friday. when i collapse from exhaustion on friday tell my children... never do english and history together!

Denis Doolin are you sure? UCD's site doesn't offer any help. Ah sure I'll put his name and hopefully it will get to where it needs to go. :D
    Lizziepoos wrote:
    anyone else up for an all-nighter? 2 essays due wednesday, 2 for friday. when i collapse from exhaustion on friday tell my children... never do english and history together!

Bloody hell that's a lot of essays. Good luck to anyone pulling the all-nighter. Last few were a good laugh. I may end up having to join in one on Thursday night depending on how things go tomorrow. Think I might a take a day off since I've only got one lecture and I need to do a lot of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm doing an all nighter, I have to get 1 essay out of the way ASAP.

Advertisement