Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm doing an all nighter, I have to get 1 essay out of the way ASAP.

+1, though that will only clear the English out of the way, and pave the way for the 2 history due Friday, and the remaining 1 history for the following Monday.

Raargh...

(edit; will be with you all on Thursday night too ;). Though I may consider the 2 history essays carefully, and see if one of them might receive a 2+ grade point improvement from an extra week, in which case I'll put it off and break even with the late penalty)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

passive wrote: »
    +1, though that will only clear the English out of the way, and pave the way for the 2 history due Friday, and the remaining 1 history for the following Monday.

Raargh...

(edit; will be with you all on Thursday night too ;). Though I may consider the 2 history essays carefully, and see if one of them might receive a 2+ grade point improvement from an extra week, in which case I'll put it off and break even with the late penalty)

Yes, I plan to do all night tonight. Do as much tomorrow in my tired state on a second one then finish up by doing one and a bit essays Thursday night. Shame there are no books on Asia and Australia and Irish history left. Yis all stole them yis pr*cks:D:Donly joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You do that all-nighter Pride Fighter???

I'm gonna have to make a start on Asia/Oz tonight... I really hate it :( Just need to get SOME sh*t done. Once I get this done (and my MCQ test on Friday) then I can start relaxing and preparing my body for Paddy's Day!

Yes, I plan to do all night tonight. Do as much tomorrow in my tired state on a second one then finish up by doing one and a bit essays Thursday night. Shame there are no books on Asia and Australia and Irish history left. Yis all stole them yis pr*cks:D:Donly joking

Saw a girl in the short loan earlier with a laptop and (no exaggeration) 10 Irish history books piled around her. Her friend came for them to go off somewhere, lunch or something, and she put her 2 or 3 most important books under some sheets and went off and hid the rest somewhere down the back of the shelves (or so was my understanding of her walking off with a pile of books and eyeing me suspiciously while she left)

It is altogether possible that one of her books may have disappeared while she was absent (sorry love, not how short loan works. If you have no space to take it out, you can **** off ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good luck with the rest off the essays lads. I'll sit here on my perch and gladly say all mine are finished:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It is altogether possible that one of her books may have disappeared while she was absent (sorry love, not how short loan works. If you have no space to take it out, you can **** off ;))

LMAO. It is a dog-eat-dog world. :D

I'm about 200 words over the limit for my Asia essay. Isn't there some rule where you can be a certain number above and below the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

LMAO. It is a dog-eat-dog world. :D

I'm about 200 words over the limit for my Asia essay. Isn't there some rule where you can be a certain number above and below the limit?

AFAIK, its a 10% limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I ended up seeing Watchmen tonight... Got about 600 words of my Asia typed up rough and a basic outline for my Ireland with no secondary reading.

I'm skipping tomorrow and doing all day/nighter. Who's with me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Brimmy wrote: »
    I ended up seeing Watchmen tonight... Got about 600 words of my Asia typed up rough and a basic outline for my Ireland with no secondary reading.

I'm skipping tomorrow and doing all day/nighter. Who's with me? :D

Already there, plus another essay to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Ill be hitting asia all tomorrow - potentially an all-nighter - I will then be relaxing for the weekend and handing my wentworth essay in late.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    AFAIK, its a 10% limit.

Feck I don't think I can cut out that much. What a sh*tty rule that you can be punished for writing too much. :mad:

Feck I don't think I can cut out that much. What a sh*tty rule that you can be punished for writing too much. :mad:

Ive been under that 10% limit many many times and there never is any mention of it in feedback. Im sure they won't penalise you for going a couple of extra hundred words over!

Indeed, I'm pretty sure it's at the lecturer's discretion, it's not set in stone... Though I'll bet Downey would kick up a fuss :rolleyes:

Yeah I've been under and over the word limit in the past as well but they seem very particular about this essay. Footnotes have to be a certain size etc. I'm concerned they'll make a big deal out of it.

I'm not gonna cut any more of it though. If I do I'll just ruin it. I'll take my chances. :cool:

Think I'll head to bed soon and prepare for my all-night word analysis essay tomorrow.

Right looks like I'm doing the 'fascist' Japan essay... Problem is I've only got 2 Japan books and one that is a mix of China and Japan, but probably won't have anything useful in it :)

Oh dear

Looks like Google Books and wiki will be my friends today! :( Should be able to get something done though... I figure I could talk a good bit about fascism in general in this, and relate it to Japano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

Havent even started this essay, has to be done today.

Does anyone know the Nominalism to Mechanism essay titles???

The lecturer doesnt put any notes on Blackboard and i missed the last 3 tutorials...

Im so screwed.

Sorry I can't help you there but if it helps I'm only starting to write my Asia/Oz now (and by now I mean finish reading one more book and watching the American Office), then I still have to do my Irish Experience..

And I swore I wouldn't do an all nighter this year..

You're still ahead of me anyway... Mbleh.

Anyone doing the commission on emigration doc for The Irish Experience? I can't find much about the commission itself... everyone mention the minority report guy, but I just want a list of who wrote it. Or maybe it's somewhere in this reading I've to get through...

Minority Report? Philip K Dick? :P

I'm doing my Asia essay on Takamori. The question is his significance to modernization though. In all the readings I've done though it just mentions he was a part of the Restoration before going on to talk about the Satsuma Rebellion.

Bit annoyed at this as I wanted to give a somewhat more balanced essay but meh. Going to go searchign on Jstory now to hopefully find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Doing the Anglo-Japanese treaty. Have gotten my main points down, just need to stick an intro and conclusion and its good to go. Given the lack of good Japanese books in the library, i found the key was to go for ones about foreign policy for Britain and Russia, seemed to work well.

• Advertisement

Anyone doing the commission on emigration doc for The Irish Experience? I can't find much about the commission itself... everyone mention the minority report guy, but I just want a list of who wrote it. Or maybe it's somewhere in this reading I've to get through...
    Not sure if it has the answer in this, but try acquire this book anyway

Daly, Mary E. The Slow Failure: Population Decline and Independent Ireland, 1920-1973. University of Wisconsin Press, 2006.

Pretty good!

I'm still trawling through JSTOR to get some decent stuff about Japanese fascism...!

2 and a half essays in 15 hours, is it doable? I'll tell you all soon:o

The Commission on Emigration and Other Population Problems was established in 1948, with the aim to examine various aspects of Ireland’s population.[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] It was chaired by Dr J.P. Beddy who was in charge of a team of twenty four people that included four statisticians, two trade-union officials, two economists, a sociologist, two medical doctors, clergymen and writers. [FONT=&quot][2][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] Mary Daly, The Slow Failure: Population Decline and Independent Ireland (Madison, 2006), 118.

[FONT=&quot][2][/FONT] Tracey Connolly, ‘The Commission on Emigration, 1948-1954’, in The Lost Decade: Ireland in the 1950’s, ed. Dermot Keogh, Finbarr O’Shea and Carmel Quinlan (Cork, 2004), 65.

Can't remember exactly where i got that - could have been google books, the additional reading packet or the seminar reading pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Well since everyone is in the same boat, here's my situation, just gave my Irish Revolution essay in today, thank god. I'm about 1250 into my Asia essay on the Anglo-Japanese treaty, although it isn't great and my lack of sources is making me sound very repetitive and haven't even looked at the titles of the Irish Experience essays yet, still being optimistic though and hoping for a little sleep tonight.

Cheer up folks. This is our last ever all nighter as undergrads:D For history anyway

I got an email, do we have to hand asia and aus one no later than 12:30, I may be screwed otherwise.

I got an email, do we have to hand asia and aus one no later than 12:30, I may be screwed otherwise.

No later than 12.30. Sounds like he isnt accepting late submissions

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Yeah it has to be in by 12.30, also why is it that Downey communicates with his students with a go between guy ?

Done Japan, tackling the Irish Exp now. Just a note to anyone doing the census essay. It is Dublin in 1841 only that is the focus of the essay, i only noticed it now thankfully

• Advertisement

I'm going to tackle them now. See you all. I may drop in from time to time during the night, wish you all luck.

Advertisement