Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was also wondering that, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

Anyone who was at that last renaissance to englightenment lecture, did he give any hints to what would be coming up in the test?

Will the questions that were for essays come up again or is the test evrything else that was covered?

There is alot to learn and was just wondering if anyone could help to make studying the subject alot easier. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

DaveMcG wrote: »
    shh :)

Declan Downey emailed out his notes again... anybody miss them today and need them? I'll forward them if ye need them

Yes please! I PM'd you my email. Thanks bro!

By the way, supposedly the two essays are now only worth 7 and a half percent, the tutorials 5% and the exam 80%. I hate UCD.

Done.

Where did you hear that about the essays? It's f*cking ridiculous the lack of information!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Downey confirmed this morning that the essay will account for a total of 20%. 10% per essay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Cheers Dave!

My friend just texted me this morning...but she said someone else told her ha. Maybe it's just a rumour. I'm gonna go into history tomorrow and see what the story is.

Downey confirmed this morning that the essay will account for a total of 20%. 10% per essay
    That's ridiculous... Hardly worth my while struggling to get this second one done now, is it? Might be better off just knuckling down and studying for the exam.

Did he give any hints on what the titles would be, no? I didn't get to go, missed the bus FFS.

God I hate this module.............................

That's ridiculous... Hardly worth my while struggling to get this second one done now, is it? Might be better off just knuckling down and studying for the exam.

Did he give any hints on what the titles would be, no? I didn't get to go, missed the bus FFS.

God I hate this module.............................

I know, im pretty annoyed at it, the amount of work is too great for a mere 20%, essays should be at most 800 words. he said theres 6 questions from each section. he mentioned richelieu a fair bit and obviously luther. didnt really give much away. its gonna be a toughie. also said essay questions may come up in exam but not exactly the same and dont just redo your essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Am I hearing things right? A 2nd year student grumbling that essays should be 800 words?

Have a bit of cop on and look at it positively - that 'mere' 20%, you have plenty of time to perfect it before hand, and guarantee yourself a solid mark before the exams even start.

HavoK wrote: »
    Am I hearing things right? A 2nd year student grumbling that essays should be 800 words?

Have a bit of cop on and look at it positively - that 'mere' 20%, you have plenty of time to perfect it before hand, and guarantee yourself a solid mark before the exams even start.

Well look at it this way

Renaissance essay: 1500-2000 words, 10%
    Middle East Essay: 1200-1500 words, 50%

. These are the essays i have due next week. I also dont think we have plenty of time, this is my 6th essay in 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I can't really believe the essays are worth so little either. I mean 5% for tutuorials. There was only 2! Our tutor spent have the time out of the class to so thats 5% for about an hour, just doesn't seem right.
    Well I know the renaissance essay will be coming paddy last behind my other 2 essays due for friday now!

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    I can't really believe the essays are worth so little either. I mean 5% for tutuorials. There was only 2! Our tutor spent have the time out of the class to so thats 5% for about an hour, just doesn't seem right.
    Well I know the renaissance essay will be coming paddy last behind my other 2 essays due for friday now!

Tutorials are worth 0%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well look at it this way

Renaissance essay: 1500-2000 words, 10%
    Middle East Essay: 1200-1500 words, 50%

. These are the essays i have due next week. I also dont think we have plenty of time, this is my 6th essay in 4 weeks

Well the Middle East one then is abnormally high, usually essays are only worth 10-20%, but regardless of how much they're worth it's always worth the effort to get marks based on something you have every chance to perfect. In my opinion.

6 essays in 4 weeks is more then you'd usually get granted but at 1500 words....hardly a big deal.

The Middle East module has no exam, so it has 2 essays worth 50% each.

What's funny about that class is that the essays are on documents and not on the material covered in the lectures. You don't need to go to any lectures and you can still hypothetically get 100% in the module. YET, the lectures are full every time :) I guess that's a testiment to how interesting the material is and how good a lecturer he is.

Probs my favourite module this semester...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Yeah he's good alright, love having no exam too, just wish we had a bit more time!

Renaissance on the other hand....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Where is the US foreign policy exam? It says Memorial building hall e or something to that extent, is that in the RDS?

Smurfit School, Carysfort Ave. , Blackrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rubyroo

For the 2nd Middle East essay, can you choose any of the documents for the second essay or does it have to be from the last 3? Any info would be great, just got finished with English exams and now have to throw something together for Middle East AND Renaissance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

It says on blackboard just pick an essay from the list. Hopefully you could do any essay from the five for both of them cos I did the fifth question for the first essay and and now doing the King-Crane one(first question) for my second essay. Can anyone clear this up for me?

It says on blackboard just pick an essay from the list. Hopefully you could do any essay from the five for both of them cos I did the fifth question for the first essay and and now doing the King-Crane one(first question) for my second essay. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Yeh any 2 im almost certain. Is the 5th one about the NSC document? Im doing that but im kinda lost on the whole thing. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Also open to suggestions on the NSC doc :) Gonna read the supporting documents (from JSTOR) tomorrow, maybe they'll gimme ideas.

What was the word count for the middle east essay? 1500 or 1200-1500?

Dunno mate... haven't started it :( I'll give it in late

I am going to see if I can do the Renaissance and Mid East essay in one day. It'll be fun staying up until 6 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rubyroo

any advice on what to read for Jabotinsky question, apart from the JSTOR documents recommended? I'm a little last..........me thinks Renaissance essay is going to be late!

Its a documents based question so you dont need a big bibliography. I am just going to use those articles for my secondary reading and a book or 2 I have at home.

The King-Crane essay was entirely document based, but these other ones seem to all require a bit of background knowledge. Eg. with the Jabotinsky document, you have to look at the events after his speech/whatever, so you have to find a source for that info.

Same with the NSC document, you need to have information about the ME at the time, to compare with the document's analysis.

Not complaining or anything, but it just requires more work than the King-Crane one unfortunately :(

The King-Crane essay was entirely document based, but these other ones seem to all require a bit of background knowledge. Eg. with the Jabotinsky document, you have to look at the events after his speech/whatever, so you have to find a source for that info.

Same with the NSC document, you need to have information about the ME at the time, to compare with the document's analysis.

Not complaining or anything, but it just requires more work than the King-Crane one unfortunately :(

Yeh i know. Thats why about 99% of people did King Crane !:)

Like myself if youre leaving it till today, i advise you to focus on the Middle East essay. Its 50%. Renaissance is only 10%

• Advertisement

Yeah I know... Wont get it in for tomorrow though unfortunately. Going to Edinburgh for my bro's stag in the morning :o I'll do it as soon as I get back though. Don't think I'll do the Renaissance one at all; gonna have to study really hard for that exam, so will be devoting my time to reading/preparing mainly!

Advertisement