Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Im pretty sure you put everything you use in the Bibliography, including Journal articles. If you want to know how to reference them, it says it on the Citation Style sheet.

Almost there. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finito. Got to 1700+ words. Happy with that. Nearly there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Going to start writing the Irish Essay any moment now.. Got all my notes done out so it shouldn't be too bad. That and it's not in for 3 so I could grab a quick nap in the library tomorrow moring.

I hate the citation for history. We can only cite what we quote even if you read an entire 50 page article or something, if you don't quote you can't use.

And everything you use goes into the bibliography.

Aaargh just been reading this citation style sheet and I have to re-print my Asia essay now because I got the citation style wrong.

Seriously some of this stuff is utter bullsh*t. I recall one of my lecturers mentioning how it was a load of OTT crap and now I understand.

"Do not use ibid."

Why the f*ck not?

"Do not use the abbreviation 'p' or 'pp.'"

What do you care?

Provide the city (not the country) of publication.

Anything else? Want me to name the city's main tourist spots too?

Load of me arse. Don't these people have better things to do with their time than to try and find reasons to dock students marks?

I think somebody needs to take a break :p

Yeah I hate the History styling system myself but it's not that hard to stick too. Always find it a bit weird that it never wants the publisher info though..

• Advertisement

Brimmy wrote: »
    I think somebody needs to take a break :p

It's just that my ink is running dangerously low at the minute. :eek:

Plus I'm hopped up on caffeine. ;):):pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Finished. 1977 with bibliography.:D

Yeah the history citation thing is a joke, and there are a few things they dont actually say on the citation sheet: you have to alphabetise the bibliography by authors name and some other stuff. Who thinks of this?!

Im going for a cup of tea and then going to bed. Good luck lads, hope it all works out for ya! :)

Night emy. I'm still ironing out the technical details. :rolleyes:

Where's Allniter by the way? He's not living up to his name. :pac:

FINALLY started typing my Irish essay. I am so thankful for the midterm now it's not even funny.

You finished now MNG after you get the "technical details" done? :P

Oh and for the Irish Experience or tutor told us we don't need to footnote anything taken from blackboard. Where you guys told them same and if you were does this mean you don't cite it in the bibliography either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm only finished Irish now, and I really have no clue about the Japan one, and would be willing to take the hit and work on it during the week..but... what if he doesn't take late!? he has to..right!? :(

• Advertisement

You could always say your dog ate it :pac:

Seriously though I guess he would take it late. He just might give you a lot of hassle because you'd have to hand it in direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finished JAPAN!

My essay is about 10 words long but I don't give a sh*t

Finally f*cking finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I hate essays. I dislike the shit spacing out of due dates. I hate that there are no books in the library. I bloody hate it.

Finally finished sorting out the technical details of Irish Exp.

BUT...

Now I have to go do it for the Asia one.

:mad:

In the future students won't have to do footnotes. There will just be a truth scan done on your brain to check whether you cheated or not.

"You know son in my day in UCD we had to do footnotes which was a painstaking process."

"Yeah whatever grandpa I'm taking my lovebot to the movies. Later."

I was born in the wrong era.

I'm tempted to sleep now... got 1100 words of Irish Experience done. It's very rough but it's the bones of what I need. Will be up in 3 hours for the bus in though.

What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Battle on Brimmy... Sleep is for the weak/sensible...

Sure it's not due til 3pm, so if you have free time tomorrow then I don't see any reason to stay awake!

I'm gonna submit my electronic copy now :)

F*ckin printer is out of ink, so will have to hope the college ones weren't destroyed in a flood last night...

Dave! wrote: »
    Finished JAPAN!

My essay is about 10 words long but I don't give a sh*t

Finally f*cking finished

Define "10"?

...I know I can go without sleep, and I know I can put stuff together well, and I have 4 good sources... I'm just not sure I can string together anything at all, starting from 0 knowledge of Saigo... I don't have time to read these sources. But...maybe a short, bad essay is better than a late one. Hrm...

Just submitted my electronic version myself. Does anyone else spend an eternity like I do before clicking submit. :D

Last year I nearly submitted an essay which was entitled "Essay xxx - ****ty ****ty Second Draft!"

Realized it just before I did it though.... actually wait, that was for Vikings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Asia one (Saigo) nearly done thank god. yet to start the Irish Ex one, guess I won't be sleeping tonight!

Are people using other sources other than the reading for the irish one?

• Advertisement

Yeah. I found the readings not really relevant to my question really so I used Jstor instead.

Check out the recommeneded reading list in the assignments section of blackboard if you're stuck that gives good articles to each document. Mine recommends the Clear book even though that starts in 1850 and mine takes place in the 30's....was surprisingly still relevant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Alrighty, will do. *makes coffee*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bollox, I'm only going to get one finished. But it should get a good grade. I'm going to hand in 2 late, but good instead of 2 in on time and shit

Don't suppose any of you fine gentlemen would be willing to print and submit an extra essay at about 12:15? cutting out the hour to get across makes this look much more doable ^_^...

I'll be your friend.

I'd help except for the fear of Downey....

(That and I'll probably be too busy trying to fix up my Irish Exp. Sorry).

The Irish Experience is 1500 to 2000 words. Would it be ok to go 10% under the minimum at 1350 or should it be a 1500 word minimum?

Brimmy wrote: »
    I'd help except for the fear of Downey....

(That and I'll probably be too busy trying to fix up my Irish Exp. Sorry).

The Irish Experience is 1500 to 2000 words. Would it be ok to go 10% under the minimum at 1350 or should it be a 1500 word minimum?

Eh... To be honest I'd say 1500 word minimum is probably in order... I always take 1500-2000 as being a min/max thing, otherwise it's really 1300-2200, which is just awkward, and opens the floor to 1100-2400 madness...

I should just about to reach it.

Forgot I had to do a summary, bibliography and footnotes :)

How are you guys listing your document in the bibliography for the Irish Experience essay?

Brimmy wrote:
    How are you guys listing your document in the bibliography for the Irish Experience essay?

I didn't bother. They said we didn't have to mention it for footnotes after all so I don't think we need to. Then again if you need to fill out your bibliography, why not?

My printer is being a real bastard at the minute. It's printing stuff that's near-invisible, even on the best quality. I've aligned it, cleaned the nozzles and all that but it's still dodgy looking. I may have to submit it anyway but I fear I'll lose marks for presentation. I f*cking hate printers.

okay...now about to start writing. 4 hour essay. This will be a first...

• Advertisement

Print it in college.

Just took a little nap in my chair. Having one in my bed would result in me not getting out of it :P

Advertisement