Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

hah! i hope your wrong as i was absent from last weeks all nighter but will be embarking on my own tonight!

I know at least 4 people in the same boat also so there will be a lot of angry 3rd years outside the history office tomorrow if they're not accepting them!

I might see you there, but I'll be handing in the Irish experience one lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OnlyTwoInter

Omg, this Irish Experience Essay is so bad that i might actually consider writing " I'm sorry" in big black letters on the front page. It's dreadful, but how can you make 2,000 words out of 4 pages. Starting to reference now, should be fun! Still don't know how i'm going to upload it, there is no yolky bobby on the Blackboard Section for it anymore.

Just on the Downey thing, wasn't he co ordinator for Renaissance to Enlightenment in 2nd Year, and The Rise Of The Asian Tigers? Surely someone out there in boards land knows someone who handed in a late essay in one of those modules and can enlighten us on his policy on late submissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Omg, this Irish Experience Essay is so bad that i might actually consider writing " I'm sorry" in big black letters on the front page. It's dreadful, but how can you make 2,000 words out of 4 pages. Starting to reference now, should be fun! Still don't know how i'm going to upload it, there is no yolky bobby on the Blackboard Section for it anymore.

Just on the Downey thing, wasn't he co ordinator for Renaissance to Enlightenment in 2nd Year, and The Rise Of The Asian Tigers? Surely someone out there in boards land knows someone who handed in a late essay in one of those modules and can enlighten us on his policy on late submissions?

i did the renaissance to enlightenment course he did. everyone i knew was too afraid to hand them in late to him :o
    my advice, hand them into the office and run away before he sees you.

is the policy of the school not 2 weeks? or is it at the discretion of each lecturer? good luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

(Christ I came back, I guess I do love you all)

I also love how you call took an extra week to do the other essay and you all left it till the last night again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Brimmy wrote: »
    (Christ I came back, I guess I do love you all)

I also love how you call took an extra week to do the other essay and you all left it till the last night again :p

But were on our holidays!

• Advertisement

This time last week I was only beginning to start to die a slow horrible death thanks to an all nighter.

Now I'm off to bed. Life is good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:)

Dave! wrote: »
    :)

Happy Paddys day Daveyboy.

Happy Paddys day to all here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Am I just blind or is the digital dropbox gone for Irish Experience? Can someone please check for me? Please dont tell me they're not accepting late submissions...

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Am I just blind or is the digital dropbox gone for Irish Experience? Can someone please check for me? Please dont tell me they're not accepting late submissions...

Its gone, hand in 2 hard copies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

ah ok gotcha- thanks pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

Have any of ye asked for an academic reference from any of the history lecturers?

My grades for last semester are good but it is just that my attendence at seminars wasnt great.

It is hard to get to know a lecturer in ucd because even if you do have one of them for a seminar, it is usually just a discussion in class and they rarely learn your name.

Should I just email them with my results and hope for the best or call to their office and explain that while i wasnt in seminars the whole time, my grades are still good and could they give me a reference?

Would it be worth asking a lecturer for this semester even though it hasnt finished?

Any one have a similar experience?

Cheers in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd recommend calling up to the lecturer's office, introducing yourself, and asking them if they'd mind being your reference. Bring a brief academic CV with you that you can leave with them (courses and grades, etc.). Also tell them what you're applying for - MA, PhD, etc. and in which area. Doesn't look good if you email them - it can come across as a lazy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

should we be reading seminar pack 7 or 8 this week for the Irish Experience, ive lost track!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

I think it's week 7.

Can anyone confirm that?

Got me my tutorial readings to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brimmy wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that?

Got me my tutorial readings to do..

I had my seminar today and it was on the Week 8 one. It was on the first extract only which is just a page long and deals with the diseases of 1847. There was also some discussion on the map which was on the next page. That was it.

We were broken into groups and asked stuff like why the diseases broke out, why it happened in certain places etc. It was one of the handiest seminars I've done actually which was good because I'd just done an exam beforehand. :cool:

Does anyone know what the story is with regards to the movie that's to be shown for Asia & Oz course? I think it's Letters From Iwo Jima?

Anyone know when it's being shown? Sometime next week isn't it?

Does anyone know what the story is with regards to the movie that's to be shown for Asia & Oz course? I think it's Letters From Iwo Jima?

Anyone know when it's being shown? Sometime next week isn't it?

Tuesday the 7th, 6PM, Theatre Q.

Tuesday the 7th, 6PM, Theatre Q.

Thanks mate. Knew I could count on Boards. :cool:

• Advertisement

Any of ye gone to a seminar since the Aussie chap took over? Is it himself that does the ones that Deco was doing previously? Or is it still Deco?

Dave! wrote: »
    Any of ye gone to a seminar since the Aussie chap took over? Is it himself that does the ones that Deco was doing previously? Or is it still Deco?

He is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Everyone going to be present for the class photo? Our time is slowly coming to an end :(

Everyone going to be present for the class photo? Our time is slowly coming to an end :(

What's this? Not heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Class photo? what? when? please tell me this isn't Monday 20th too... I'm missing f*cking everything by being out of the country 'til the 21st. I really want to go to that last lecture and the ambassadors thing. The 27th suited me fine!!! Stupid non dubs...

Incidentally, I'm running paintball on the 26th with gamesoc, need to fill a couple more spaces before I pay the deposit. It's €35 with 400 paintballs. PM me if you want in, history folk!

Oh, Aldous must have only emailed the *best* students :p
    Dear Final Year History Student,

It is with great pleasure that I write to invite you to be part of the School of History and Archives Final Year Photo. This will be taken next week on Tuesday 14 April at 11.35 a.m. directly after the 30 minute revision lecture for the Irish Experience core course. We will meet on the steps of the Tierney Building. Members of staff will also be present. I hope that this photo will serve as a fond reminder of your years as an undergraduate student at UCD.

A high resolution digital copy of the final year photo will be made available free of charge on the School website. Students may prefer to order prints at low cost directly from the School Office.

Tea and coffee will be served in the School of History Boardroom (K115) following the photo session.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Richard Aldous

Head of the School of History and Archives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*appears in a puff of smoke*

You guys should totally co-ordinate on all wearing some similar item of clothing, or a red carnation or something.

*disappears again*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Raphael wrote: »
    *appears in a puff of smoke*

You guys should totally co-ordinate on all wearing some similar item of clothing, or a red carnation or something.

*disappears again*

That's kind of like the way Richard Aldous operates, appears as a puff of smoke then *puff* he's gone again!:rolleyes:

I wonder, is it possible to 'gate crash' the photo or even just the free coffee bit? I doubt they're going to mind given everyone will be 'busy' with 'study'.;)

Will be hard to fit us all in a photo I'd say but I reckon I'll go along because I'm a sucker for nostalgia. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I wonder why only some people got the email :(

Advertisement