Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

it was just the good looking ones he emailed. nothing to do with academic ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Full suit and top hat a must

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Full suit and top hat a must

Monocles at the ready, all women must go to the back of the photograph... history is a gentlemans' pursuit and should be represented as such in all photographic plates!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Anyone want to go to the History Soc table quiz? We could have a boards.ie team! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

emy-87 wrote: »
    Anyone want to go to the History Soc table quiz? We could have a boards.ie team! :D

I was thinking of suggesting that but at the moment I'm probably too poor to even afford the €2 entry :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

When's it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I might be there. Probably not be allowed play though. I always win;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

This is from the email the History Soc sent me:

The History Society Annual Quiz takes place this Wednesday (15th
    April), starting promptly at 8pm in the Blue Room (upstairs in the UCD
    Students' Centre).
    It's a measly 2 euro each to enter and the maximum number on a team is
    5. This year we are honoured to welcome back Professor Michael Laffan
    as Quizmaster.
    Refreshments will be provided; arrive early to secure a table!

Anyone up for it? We could be like these guys... Though I would know the stupid pop culture answers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai1lzPCFPdU&feature=related

The History Soc is also having its inaugural lecture on the 27th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Is it going to be all history questions? I'd hate to show how little I know about anything :o

But yeah, I reckon I'm in. We could all stay up the night before cramming general knowledge, then turn up in our pyjamas with boards.ie nametags or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

can't... have mumps :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I might be up for this as well, although I have an essay due in on Wednesday and usually I tend to be extremely sleep-deprived on days like that.

passive wrote: »
    Is it going to be all history questions? I'd hate to show how little I know about anything :o

But yeah, I reckon I'm in. We could all stay up the night before cramming general knowledge, then turn up in our pyjamas with boards.ie nametags or something...

Only some of the questions are, there is a round on celebrity dogs where they show celebrities and their pets, one of them is Vladimir Putin.

Only some of the questions are, there is a round on celebrity dogs where they show celebrities and their pets, one of them is Vladimir Putin.

As the owner or the dog? ;)

Anyone else attend the quiz? An enjoyable night, shame it wasnt in the bar but comfortably coming first eased the pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Is anyone in the Irish Experience seminar tomorrow at 12? What room is on in/is it Stephen Kelly? I missed mine this week...need that 1%!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

ianthefox wrote: »
    Is anyone in the Irish Experience seminar tomorrow at 12? What room is on in/is it Stephen Kelly? I missed mine this week...need that 1%!

Damn...I just deleted the draft message on my phone that said what time/room his Wednesday and Thursday Seminars were on/in... Like... 2 minutes ago -_-'

although I don't actually know that today is him. You'll have to ask in the department for the room number.

And I missed the quiz, sadly, due to illness. Feeling mostly better now, anyway, and am gonna try get to the Inaugural lecture next week... Was also at the photo, but don't know what any of you look like/didn't know anybody there...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

Hey guys, I missed my last Seminar for Asia + Australia because I was sick, just wondering if he gave any exam information (structure, content etc) at all. Would be much appreciated if anyone had anything!

FishTaco wrote: »
    Hey guys, I missed my last Seminar for Asia + Australia because I was sick, just wondering if he gave any exam information (structure, content etc) at all. Would be much appreciated if anyone had anything!

Nothing more than what he said in the first seminar

Care to refresh my memory. Sorry but I've dropped the ball a bit in the last few weeks

• Advertisement

There's still another seminar left.

He said he'll probably give a hint at 1 of the 2 lectures on Monday.

I love getting emails and reading boards for the usual "I was sick can anyone help me with the exam" bullsh*t! You're not sick, ill, in hospital, stop pestering people because you did no work over the course over the course of the last 13 weeks, at least have the courtesy to not insult peoples' intelligence here with pathetic excuses (i.e. were still in college because we use our heads' not because we go on the piss every night and stop attending lectures). It's ridiculous, if you were in science, you'd have failed by now!:mad:

El Siglo wrote: »
    I love getting emails and reading boards for the usual "I was sick can anyone help me with the exam" bullsh*t! You're not sick, ill, in hospital, stop pestering people because you did no work over the course over the course of the last 13 weeks, at least have the courtesy to not insult peoples' intelligence here with pathetic excuses (i.e. were still in college because we use our heads' not because we go on the piss every night and stop attending lectures). It's ridiculous, if you were in science, you'd have failed by now!:mad:

Do you need to know what's on the exam ;) lol

So if the Australian Ambassador does make it on Monday does that mean the double lecture becomes a triple if the Japanese Ambassador is giving an hour talk by himself?...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brimmy wrote: »
    There's still another seminar left.

He said he'll probably give a hint at 1 of the 2 lectures on Monday.

Its history reading week this week. For 2nd years anyway, can't imagine it being different for other years.

Wow, touchy aren't you.

Mushy wrote: »
    Its history reading week this week. For 2nd years anyway, can't imagine it being different for other years.

This course in particular is really 2 courses condensed into one. While the other core course and all optional modules are finished this one is still running and was schedule to run over into next week as well however that lecture got moved forward.

Enjoy next year ;)

FishTaco wrote: »
    Wow, touchy aren't you.

What the f*ck would you think? Idiots like you who don't show up to lectures and seminars, do f*ck all reading, and then expect help when they say "I'm sick". It's a joke so it is for everyone else who did show up and do the readings. Asking people for help after doing no work is taking the piss, it's like pregnant women smoking - they don't give a **** about the kid until it's born with emphysema then they want all the help in the world. Along with that using the worst most pathetic excuses only insults ones' intelligence. At least have the balls to admit "Yes I did no work, I couldn't care less about this module, but would you mind helping me a bit"

And no, I don't need information relating to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

What the f*ck would you think? Idiots like you who don't show up to lectures and seminars, do f*ck all reading, and then expect help when they say "I'm sick". It's a joke so it is for everyone else who did show up and do the readings. Asking people for help after doing no work is taking the piss, it's like pregnant women smoking - they don't give a **** about the kid until it's born with emphazema then they want all the help in the world. Along with that using the worst most pathetic excuses only insults ones' intelligence. At least have the balls to admit "Yes I did no work, I couldn't care less about this module, but would you mind helping me a bit"

No, I don't information relating to this.

Haha, you looper, he just asked for help like. I think I'll help him now just to annoy you.

FishTaco, each lecture and seminar has a question or two related to it. It seems that the exam questions will be based on these questions. How loosely based on them they'll be, I don't know, so you should go to the two lectures on Monday.

Lecture 1 = All about White Australia and the Yellow Peril. Racial ideology etc. and shift away from focus on European powers to focus on Japan as a threat.

Seminar 1 = Why did Japan loom so large in Australian security anxieties c. 1902-1919 (Key issues and events etc.)

Lecture 2 = The Fall of Singapore. Why is it significant? As major turning point for Australia and the role in the Pacific. (Criticism of Singapore strategy, cable battle, Curtin's speeches etc.)

Seminar 2 =
    Q1. To what extent did the events surrounding the fall of Singapore amount to a 'great betrayal'?
    Q2. To what extent did the fall of Sing. signal a turning point in Australia's foreign relations?

I missed Lecture 3.

Seminar 3 = This was all about U.S. Japanese reconcilliation after WWII, and the change in attitudes towards the Japanese. This was helped by the presentation of Japan as a woman/child. Do the readings to find about this.
    Why did Australian hostility to Japan last longer than American hostility? (Their place in the world/responsibilities; different fears, communism etc.)

Also focussed on Letters from Iwo Jima, and how it was a new presentation of the conflict, a possible turning point in relations, with America being shown as the "unseen enemy" for once, while we relate to the Japanese. You can compare it to Flags of Our Fathers and Kokoda (which still depicts the Japanese as the unseen enemy, as shadows. I haven't watched any of these yet, so I don't really know too much about it but there'll definitely be a question on the exam relating to the film.

Just do the readings anyway, they're good and not too long.

ianthefox wrote: »
    Haha, you looper, he just asked for help like. I think I'll help him now just to annoy you.

I don't give a sh*t if you help him, do the f*cking exam for him for all I care!;)

• Advertisement

What the f*ck would you think? Idiots like you who don't show up to lectures and seminars, do f*ck all reading, and then expect help when they say "I'm sick". It's a joke so it is for everyone else who did show up and do the readings. Asking people for help after doing no work is taking the piss, it's like pregnant women smoking - they don't give a **** about the kid until it's born with emphysema then they want all the help in the world. Along with that using the worst most pathetic excuses only insults ones' intelligence. At least have the balls to admit "Yes I did no work, I couldn't care less about this module, but would you mind helping me a bit"

And no, I don't need information relating to this.

Im going to give you an exam tip for free, don't write you're history essays like that or you'll fail, it's not really the style they like ;)

Also you don't seem to be particularly good at extracting information from written passages, if you were you'd see that I wasn't asking for any help with the majority of the course, I was more wondering if I'd missed anything relating to the exam in the last seminar. You see, I have actually been to my lectures and seminars (barring the one when I was sick) and done all my reading. All in all, I should hope you have your history mode turned off when you're on boards, otherwise good luck with the repeats next year.

Advertisement