Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No they're due in on friday. I assumed that i would have to resit an exam, as you do in the other subjects i do but apparently the history department do things differently. So now i have 3 days to do the essay but can't for the life of me find the essay titles.

Luckily i have nothing to do for the rest of the week so if i do 3 days of solid work i might be all right if only i knew what the titles were.

And before anyone points it out I know it was stupid not to check this earlier but I just assumed it would be an exam.

It's been advertised for ages on the website and in the corridor that you had to go up to the office to get your copy of the essays and sign for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How did ye get on with your Asia essay? I was standing in line all braced for a D, fearing a fail, and thinking I'd be ecstatic with a C.

He gave me a B!!! :eek: I don't think he read the essay at all.... ridiculous grade to give! It was a shocking essay, I did an all-nighter for it and my head was melted by the end. It was also about 1100 words including footnotes, lol

I think he just gave a good grade to most people to encourage them to do the MA. He actually said to me "I hope you're thinking about further study".

Wow...

Happy :)

Oh and he thought I was another student... again... Anybody know an Earl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Had the day off so didn't go in to try and get this US History essay finished now so I'm not doing an all nighter tomorrow..

Hope he's as kind to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dave! wrote: »
    How did ye get on with your Asia essay? I was standing in line all braced for a D, fearing a fail, and thinking I'd be ecstatic with a C.

He gave me a B!!! :eek: I don't think he read the essay at all.... ridiculous grade to give! It was a shocking essay, I did an all-nighter for it and my head was melted by the end. It was also about 1100 words including footnotes, lol

I think he just gave a good grade to most people to encourage them to do the MA. He actually said to me "I hope you're thinking about further study".

Wow...

Happy :)

Oh and he thought I was another student... again... Anybody know an Earl?

I've a similar tale Dave, got a good grade in my essay too, over the moon I am:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

A+ :D

I was really happy with how my essay went, so while I'm a little shocked, I don't think it's an over the top mark. He criticised one of my sources (is this a scholarly, peer reviewed source?) which was fair enough, since I'd just found a website with a general account of the uprising dealy to back up a couple of outline points... Found out the next day there was an article on Jstor that would have done me better, but ah well...

Anyone going to the inaugural lecture tonight? I am... missed out on all the Monday stuff since I was away, so figure I'll say goodbye to my history undergrad with some free wine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Got a B+. I'm slightly disappointed as I felt like I gave a really good answer. I lost marks for using phrases like 'in my opinion' a lot. I know they don't tend to like that in essays but the question began with, 'in your opinion' so I felt it was needed. :pac: Also was criticised for using too many quotes which is a theme I've been hearing a lot when getting my essays returned. I love my quotes damn it!

On the bright side I'm maintaining a pretty good essay standard, way better than second year, so hopefully I can do the business in the exams. Not long left now lads! :o

I've done so much reading my brain is fried.

If I'm reading an article or book and the author quotes another book or article and gives a full reference that I want to quote I use the original source material (the same as the author I'm reading) and NOT the article I'm reading that references it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Brimmy wrote: »
    I've done so much reading my brain is fried.

If I'm reading an article or book and the author quotes another book or article and gives a full reference that I want to quote I use the original source material (the same as the author I'm reading) and NOT the article I'm reading that references it right?

thats a serious tounge twister brimmy! :D

I dont think they make that big a deal about it - just reference the book your using, not the reference they use.

Ha I reread it a few times to make sure it made sense... I guess it did after all :)

Brimjob, any tips on the 911 essay? :( Any good articles you came across? I was in the library today and yesterday trying to find any useful books, but could find f*ck all ! There was one book relating to media & 911, but it's out on long loan! grrg. I'm sure JSTOR will turn up something useful ;) Hopefully this won't require an all-nighter, but it'll certainly be an all-dayer for Dave O' Mack :(

• Advertisement

Also, was there some website where you can get full copies of books online?

You can get articles etc here but I don't think you can get books...
    http://jq6am9xs3s.search.serialssolutions.com/

I couldn't find any books in the library really. I had 3 out that focused on media and politics but they were all published BEFORE 9/11. Was mega annoying.

I changed my mind and am doing a different one now. Jstor has a good few articles though and don't forget the document pack, the article that was on television is on Jstor as well. I have a few ones saved on my lappy that looked decent. If you pm me your email I'll send them to you if you want.

Thought I was finished with all-nighters :( Hopefully will be in bed before 4.... so I can get up at 7 and study for my MCQ at 11.....

Finished circa 5.... now, to start studying.

Thanks for the articles Brimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

So what is everyone looking at for the exams? Have'nt touched Irish yet, but education and religion will be front runners I think. For Australia I am hoping both the rise and fall of white australia comes up as separate questions, need to find a back up for when they are condensed into one question though...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So what is everyone looking at for the exams? Have'nt touched Irish yet, but education and religion will be front runners I think. For Australia I am hoping both the rise and fall of white australia comes up as separate questions, need to find a back up for when they are condensed into one question though...

Haven't touched the Irish Exp. either but will likely also look at religion with regards to the Famine's effect on it, how the Famine shaped society long-term as well as emigration's effect on society. I did my essay on transport so I'll look to use that area as a back-up of sorts.

For Asia, I think I'll look at white Australia too as well as The Great Betrayal. Need to find out some back-up areas to look out for.

If anyone has any tips feel free to share. We Boardsies can help each other. :D

Thinking of Education and Transport for the Irish Experience. Religion or Health as a back up, both if I have the time but if not probably stick to Health as its more condensed.

For Australia I'm going to do the Yellow Peril (Rise of White Australia) and the Great Betrayal. Regional Security as well as the fall of White Australia as a complete back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Anybody got the exam format for the two history core modules Asia and Aus and The Irish Experience? Also Modern Ireland exam format would be helpfull too!

Was away the week of the final history lectures so havent a clue how many questions are coming up and therefore how many topics to cover either.

Also exam format for Middle East Politics would be nice if anyone knows that either!

Asia and Aus will have questions for each of the 9 topics covered by Dr. Steve Irwin -- he covered a different topic in each lecture and seminar. He actually put all his lecture notes on BB, so check out the ones from the last lecture, there's some helpful slides there.

I gather for the Irish experience, there'll be a question on each of the topics covered in the lectures also -- education, health, etc.

Dunno bout the other one

Asia and Aus will have questions for each of the 9 topics covered by Dr. Steve Irwin -- he covered a different topic in each lecture and seminar. He actually put all his lecture notes on BB, so check out the ones from the last lecture, there's some helpful slides there.

I gather for the Irish experience, there'll be a question on each of the topics covered in the lectures also -- education, health, etc.

Dunno bout the other one

Thanks Dave. That helps alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Asia and Aus will have questions for each of the 9 topics covered by Dr. Steve Irwin

Eh?

The Aussie chap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The Aussie chap

I think he prefers to be called Dr. Stuart Ward, since its his real name :)

I think he prefers to be called Dr. Stuart Ward, since its his real name :)

I think he should change his name to Dr. Steve Irwin as thats much more cooler as suits his coolness :)

I reckon he acts and talks as though he's a gameshow host! Great fun!

End nahh let's see what's behohhnd daw numbah three!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Next year the course takes a different spin; Racism against Australians :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

has anyone else gotten bored over the years with how easy it is to predict whats coming up on History exams?:)

Politics on the other hand... :(

I think the pressures of finals have gotten to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Anybody got the exam format for the two history core modules Asia and Aus and The Irish Experience? Also Modern Ireland exam format would be helpfull too!

Was away the week of the final history lectures so havent a clue how many questions are coming up and therefore how many topics to cover either.

Also exam format for Middle East Politics would be nice if anyone knows that either!

Email the lecturers/your tutors...
    has anyone else gotten bored over the years with how easy it is to predict whats coming up on History exams?:)

Always a dangerous thing to say ... that's the year when it'll change completely.... And if it does, it's all your fault for jinxing it!!!!

• Advertisement

Got back my Irish Experience today.... another B :) Happy days

BTW Denis Doolin's writing is sooo hard to read...

Advertisement