Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Argh... Sorry to be like an annoying ucdconnect spammer, but does anyone have notes from the final 2 Australia lectures, the 9am & evening one? I was in Spain 'til the Tuesday, and the 2 friends I expected to be able to get these from didn't make it... Can trade for pretty decent notes for some of the other lectures and/or a pack of spanish marlboro lights :P

(heythanks@thankshey.com if so!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Going on Holiday for your last lecture. *tut*tut*.

Email sent with my notes. Not sure if they'll be much use to you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Out of interest have any of you done Doing History 1 or 2 this year. Both quite basic 1st year history modules - nice easy picks for my electives! happy i chose them.

Brimmy wrote: »
    Going on Holiday for your last lecture. *tut*tut*.

Email sent with my notes. Not sure if they'll be much use to you though :)

Well when I planned it I was missing *a* lecture... This escalated quickly into missing a lecture, bonus lecture, guest lecture, drinks reception and gamesoc AGM.

The upside of the latter one is that I can now say I was elected to the gamesoc commitee while in France, and deposed while in Spain.

(edit: and many thanks!)

your such a jet-setter passive! :)

• Advertisement

your such a jet-setter passive! :)

I know :cool:. Now I'm gonna top it all of by doing some first person research into the Australian and Asian political situation when I finish my exams!

(albeit the Asian portion of that course will consist of glancing out an airplane window in Singapore...)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't seem to study. I'm so f*cked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

I can't seem to study. I'm so f*cked. :(

Aye, I seem to be reading and reading and then realising that nothing is going in. I really hope I surprise myself on the day :(

Just doing my reading for Australia now..The only exam I'm really worried for is Irish Experience. Going to be cramming all that on Sunday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Good day people of 3rd History. Next year, alas, I'll return my lazy, drunken year in Stockholm to do some proper work. What courses do you people recommend? Anything with an essay rather than exam gets priority. As does anything about more modern history.

• Advertisement

The prodigal son returns ;).

I did America in the 21st Century. All definitely modern. Though the first half focuses on the Cold War and the second half of the module post 9/11.

2 assignments, 1,000 words worth 30% and 2,000 words worth 60%. He's a bit of a hard marker though and readings can be a bit hard to come by seeing as it's all so modern the questions are usually speculative "How will History judge Bush" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say you'd like this module then

"HIS 30510 America in the 21st Century"

This course explores the political, cultural and social issues that shape the contemporary United States. Key themes include: the end of the Cold War and the reshaping of domestic politics and foreign policy; 9/11 and responses to terrorism; the ‘culture wars’; the impact of religious fundamentalism on American culture and politics; and the effects of new media technologies on cultural production. While focusing on the twenty-first century, early readings and lectures deal also with political events immediately preceding the twentieth century. Topics central to our analysis in the first part of the course include the legacies of the American war in Vietnam, the presidencies of Ronald Reagan, George Bush I and Bill Clinton, and American domestic and international policies in the 1980s and 1990s.

Lots of guest lecturers taking interesting approaches to the topics. There's alot of emphasis on the media, and how it represents or influence historical events. The September 11th lecture by Liam Kennedy was really interesting. I'll just post up the topics covered:

Week 2 (28 January): The Historiography of the Cold War [Mario Del Pero,
    University of Bologna]
    Week 3 (4 February): Vietnam and its Legacy [David Ryan, UCC]
    Week 4 (11 February): Culture Wars [Liam Kennedy, UCD]
    Week 5 (18 February): Faith-Based Foreign Policy: The Evolution of a Tradition
    since 1945 [Andrew Preston, University of Cambridge]
    Week 6: Reading Week
    *No class – Essay 1 due Tuesday 3 March
    Week 7 (4 March): Media, US Foreign Policy and Humanitarian Interventionism
    in the 1990s and Beyond [Caitlin Patrick, UCD]
    Week 8 (25 March): Foreign Policy after 11/9 & 9/11
    Week 9: (1 April) 9/11 and the Media: TV, Cinema and New Media
    Representations [Liam Kennedy, UCD]
    Week 10 (8 April): The George W. Bush Legacy
    Week 11 (15 April): The “War on Terror” [Maria Ryan, University of
    Nottingham]
    Week 12 (22 April): Reading Week
    *No class – Essay 2 due Friday 24 April

There's a good bit of reading to be done for the seminars, but they're (the seminars) actually quite good. I don't usually bother with seminars, but I quite liked these ones. Good exchange of ideas, probably because it's recent history, so everybody has probably got opinions on the topics already. The class is quite small too. Only about 30-40 in the lecture. Probs about 20 in the seminar, which sounds like alot but it's grand.

And the good part :) Essay 1 (30%) was 1000 words, essay 2 (60%) was 2000 words. Nice titles for the most part, but you can agree a title with the professor anyways.

So I'd recommend that.

Also, for an elective I can't recommend the stage 2 module 'Introduction to Cognitive Science' enough. Have a look in other threads for my thoughts on it, as I've posted about 10 times urging people to do it! :D If you're interested in psychology at all, go for that.

There's a first years Humanities module called "Study Skills". 100% based on a portfolio that has to be handed in at the end of the module, there's no deadline for it just before the offices close for winter/summer.

Don't tell anyone though, it's a secret ;)

The prodigal son returns ;).

*waves* I do worry about the snot nosed young 'uns I'm in with next year...

Thanks for the recommendations. What are the core modules? I hope they don't muck around all the modules because that 21st Century America one looks pretty interesting. Not too concerned about the reading. In university here, I only have 2-3 classes a week, but also about 500 pages to read each week.

What's the Into Cognitive Science one like, Dave? Presumably it's in the psychology department?

It's a computer science module actually, and the lectures are in the Comp Sci lecture theatre. There's barely anything computer related in the material though.

Here's the website for the course, including lecture notes: http://cogsci.ucd.ie/introtocogsci/

My thoughts on it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58275563&postcount=10
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57146611&postcount=106

The lecturer is great too, very enthusiastic

Cheers Dave. I should probably pick an elective outside my usual three of history/politics/philosophy.

I've only been studying politics here. It'll be weird to get historical again :D

Intro to Study Skills.. you know you want too ;) (Seriously easiest A possible I think).

Core modules this year where Asian/Australian history and the Irish Experience which focused on Irish cultural history from around 1850-1950.

Intro to Study Skills.. you know you want too ;) (Seriously easiest A possible I think).

Core modules this year where Asian/Australian history and the Irish Experience which focused on Irish cultural history from around 1850-1950.

I thought Study Skills was one of the most in-demand courses? What was to be in the portfolio anyway?

First 2 years I thought I'd pick things that looked really interesting. Now I'm thinking the ol' GPA could do with a pick-me-up :p

The GPA was exactly my reason for doing it... If only I had figured that out in 2nd year instead of picking interesting (aka hard) modules.

He went through different things each week and it was just a compilation of those. Stuff like the Cornell System and SQ3R. Examples of how your study method has changed since etc. Really simple to be honest. I did mine in the guts of about 5 hours, most of which I was hung over for and was just a matter of getting the presentation right and got an A.

The lectures are funny too. I think I was wrong earlier but attendance is marked at around 40% and the portfolio is 60%. He doesn't take names though so attendance was only marked by 1 or 2 mini assignments that you had to hand up. And I stress mini as he wasn't looking for research or thought gone into but rather just the structure that you would use. I missed 2 of them, think there was 4 in total, and emailed him just saying I was out and I didn't mind. The lectures are pretty funny too..

And now I feel like a shill.

Those core modules actually sound quite interesting. Better than the second year ones, anyway.
    The GPA was exactly my reason for doing it... If only I had figured that out in 2nd year instead of picking interesting (aka hard) modules.

My only Cs in 2nd year were in my electives. Damn you, Rationalism and Empiricism.

What department is Study Skills even in? I will be looking into it. Though I think the combination of easy and interesting work best. Of course, those are rare enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just to let you know Tom65 the core modules will probably be different next year. I know anyway that they wont be running the Asia & Australia course again

Just to let you know Tom65 the core modules will probably be different next year. I know anyway that they wont be running the Asia & Australia course again

Why not? that was awesome...

No it wasn't ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

passive wrote: »
    Why not? that was awesome...

The Australian lecturer is only visiting as far as i know so probably wont be here next year. Downey told us early on in one of the seminars that this would be the only time the module would be run

Tom65 wrote: »
    What department is Study Skills even in? I will be looking into it. Though I think the combination of easy and interesting work best. Of course, those are rare enough.

Linguistics. I found the lectures interesting really. Quite funny and he involved a lot of participation/questions etc. Kept it fun.

Anyway wanna trade Irish experience essays? my tutor recommended this, as they give a pretty good overview of each section, methinks, but I didn't really know anybody in my class, and the only history friend I spoke to did the same one...

I did emigration, which I think was week 3? Address, as above, is heythanks@thankshey.com if anyone wants to trade (I think I got a B+?)

My essay was terrible so unless you want that ;)

Apparently I used too many primary sources and not enough secondary reading even though I had a hard time finding relevant stuff to what I was doing.

Can anyone remember what the question proposed for the Unwanted Ally tutorial was to think about or was there one? I don't remember/have it written down that there was but just want to check.

Edit: Anbody got any good notes on the Unwanted Ally seminar they wouldn't mind emailing me? Just going over mine and they're rather scant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

passive wrote: »
    Anyway wanna trade Irish experience essays? my tutor recommended this, as they give a pretty good overview of each section, methinks, but I didn't really know anybody in my class, and the only history friend I spoke to did the same one...

I did emigration, which I think was week 3? Address, as above, is heythanks@thankshey.com if anyone wants to trade (I think I got a B+?)

I could send you on mine which is about transport. I got a B for it. I lost marks for using too many sources so you'd be getting a lot of facts. :)

I could send you on mine which is about transport. I got a B for it. I lost marks for using too many sources so you'd be getting a lot of facts. :)

Sounds good. Wasn't going to look at transport, but no harm anyway. will send mine, which was, in fact a B... though... for no given reason like yours or the others. just minor technical points :confused:

• Advertisement

i did emigration also, got a b+ - anyone who wants to trade just pm me your email addy and ill send mine on.

Advertisement