Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd History (Formerly 2nd History...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

It's almost odd having himself and Downey teaching the same class. Ward seems like he'll do everything he can to help us pass whereas Downey is big into 'reading for your degree' and not supplying lecture notes after the lecture and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

FishTaco wrote: »
    It's almost odd having himself and Downey teaching the same class. Ward seems like he'll do everything he can to help us pass whereas Downey is big into 'reading for your degree' and not supplying lecture notes after the lecture and all that

Yeah quite a difference. Well the Australian history section in the library is fairly poor so he had to supply us with the documents. Anyway, even if theyre right there not everyone is going to read them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Brimmy wrote: »
    I am going to do terrible in the Irish Experience and know that.

Dr/Professor? Ward seemed to be straightforward enough about it saying it wasn't there to trick us out or anything so hopefully it's a good paper :)

in fairness i dont think there is any history profs that try to do that. I cant remember ever coming out of a history exam and thinking - "that bastard dicked us over."

The format of history exams means you can leave a lot of the course out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

In fairness to Downey, his exam for Asian history last year was probably the easiest and fairest exam I have done in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Yeah I know I just meant that he seemed to be REALLY straightforward with it. As in "there's 1 question discussed in each lecture and seminar, there are 9 questions on the paper. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.."

To those of you doing the rise of White Australia are you doing it up to 1901 or 1905?

• Advertisement

According to the course outline the time period for the rise of WA is 1890-1905 so I'm doing to 1905 just to be on the safe side. The Act was only brought in at the end of 1901, so you could find the question covers how it was implemented or the reactions to it in the first few years up to 1905

Yeah that's what I was thinking but then I'd have a slight fear there might be a question that goes give an account for the rise and fall of White Australia..

So think I'll do the Rise, Great Betrayal and Unwanted Ally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

Is anyone doing just 2 topics or are they playing safe and covering 3? I'm starting to wonder if I'd get away with just "Regional Security and Global Crisis, 1905- 1919" and "The Japanese Peace Settlement and and US Alliance, 1945- 57."

Dam, regret not going to that photo now. Passive, I was in a class with you! And here I was wondering who Brimmy would turn out to be cos I know you and I both do English. Ah well, good luck tomorrow everyone. Notice another 2nd year history thread has started up? They'll be taking over from us now...

I'm not sure the fall would be included in the rise section, even just in passing. As has been said, he seems unlikely to throw any real curve-balls, and doing that would be a bit sneaky.

Although that said, the mere fact that it's possible is why I'm doing the fall as my back-up topic

Lizziepoos wrote: »
    Is anyone doing just 2 topics or are they playing safe and covering 3? I'm starting to wonder if I'd get away with just "Regional Security and Global Crisis, 1905- 1919" and "The Japanese Peace Settlement and and US Alliance, 1945- 57."

Dam, regret not going to that photo now. Passive, I was in a class with you! And here I was wondering who Brimmy would turn out to be cos I know you and I both do English. Ah well, good luck tomorrow everyone. Notice another 2nd year history thread has started up? They'll be taking over from us now...

Bwahaha I am an enigma. Took you guys long enough to figure out I was a guy so you hardly think I'd let you know what I look like already? :p

For what it's worth I have a fair idea who you are ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe this thread can turn into a history postgrad thread? (formerly 2nd history and 3rd history) :D

I shalln't be doing a masters next year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Yeah I know I just meant that he seemed to be REALLY straightforward with it. As in "there's 1 question discussed in each lecture and seminar, there are 9 questions on the paper. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.."

*facepalm* ohyeah...the actual questions we went over in the tutorials...

So...I was the *only* one in the photo? damn you guys...

passive wrote: »
    *facepalm* ohyeah...the actual questions we went over in the tutorials...

So...I was the *only* one in the photo? damn you guys...

No im there aswell. Back row, 2nd on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wish I'd gone to the photo thing myself. I feel so left out.

I'm really worried about this exam tomorrow. I caught a bad dose of the flu and spent most of yesterday and this morning in bed. I managed to get a lot of good work on the Great Betrayal done but I'm struggling to work out what other subject to cover by tomorrow. :(

What's pretty short and concise? I'm thinking the one that the final lecture was about with Kevin Rudd and all that...

That's not really concicse. It's rather broad actually with lots of waffling room so if you want that.

Unted Ally or the Rise of White Australia are pretty short. The readings are a bit odd though with one of the Unwanted Ally's to do completely with America and the Rise of White Australia's deal with the fall in some parts and the cultural differences between the two BEFORE White Australia which is mainly just filler material because the class itself was on the political side (I hope so anyway).

I caught a bad dose of the flu and spent most of yesterday and this morning in bed.

Man flu?

The rise of White Australia is fairly handy, the Kelly text has the majority if what you need

No im there aswell. Back row, 2nd on the left

We were in the same Irish Experience tutorial :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think the White Australia one is pretty straight forward mate.

Get that Paul Kelly piece from Blackboard and read it through, it's only about 20 pages, and you'll get the jist.

I'm also reading the Matthew Jordan article 'the reappraisal of the white australia policy...etc'

:)

Man flu?

Yeah thankfully, or as I call it 'RDS flu' since I got sick after I did my Christmas exams there as well. Place obviously doesn't agree with me!

Thanks for the advice lads.

We were in the same Irish Experience tutorial :)

Spooky, were we in the same group for any of those discussions?

• Advertisement

For anyone doing the Great betrayal look at the Day article for the context of the whole thing. Its very good and has a great line that Australia's best weapon against the Japanese that it 'was not worth the effort' to invade :)

For anyone doing the Great betrayal look at the Day article for the context of the whole thing. Its very good and has a great line that Australia's best weapon against the Japanese that it 'was not worth the effort' to invade :)

That was the British opinion of it actually ;) And I remember pissing myself laughing when I read that.

We were in one or two of the discussions. Do you ever wear a different hoody or was that just a Tuesday thing? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

On the Rise of White Australia question is it necessary to go into later decades up to when it was abolished totally?

We already discussed this :p

The lecture itself covered the establishment of White Australia up until 1905.

There was a separate lecture that did the fall of White Australia in the 60s.

It would seem a bit odd, not to mention too vast to have it all as the one question. But you'd probably best do learning it for a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Feeling pretty handy about this exam, since the essay took most of the stress off.

Irish Experience however...:confused:...:o...:(

I missed the photo too...we're awful.

Wasn't going to bother with the photo but now that I see it I'm kinda glad I did

Wasn't going to bother with the photo but now that I see it I'm kinda glad I did

So where are you in it? :P

Hard to explain, a few rows down from the back, in a straight line up from Catherine Cox's head.

Looking around it theres a load of people with their eyes closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Is everyone just studying two questions? I've done Regional security and White Australia, I'm hoping that will be enough!

Im dreading Irish experience, I didn't do as well as I thought I would in my essay so Im hoping to come up in the exam. Fingers crossed anyway.

Im in the photo! Fourth row from the front on the right side. In front of the guy with the blue jumper. I came late so I was stuck at the side, had to go on tippy toes to be seen! :)

Advertisement